Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

less than 3 weeks to my surgery date, Nov 3, 2022!

I feel like I am over preparing!! save me from myself lol

I have ordered my last batch of Protein Shakes (tho most of them will be incorporated into pre op diet but will have some after) and a variety of products for my liquid phase and beyond for home and to keep at my desk at work (protein shots, bariatric Protein Soup mix, special drink mixes etc… about $100 worth total of a variety of products to try) … also already have a list of stuff to get from the grocery store before surgery for the first two weeks or so… want to be stocked up and not have to think much

also starting some nervous cleaning (which is unlike me lol) to try to make this nicer for when i get home…

please tell me I am not alone with over preparing in the final stretch before surgery!!!!

As long as you are not creating a financial hardship or hurting yourself or others in some other way this is actually a very healthy way of coping with anxiety. Sounds like you are a little nervous and taking control of whatever you can actually control in the process. So maybe you end up with a little extra food when you’re done recovering. I say Just donate it to someone or a food pantry if you can’t use it. I actually had a nurse that told me to do this when I had a melanoma. She suggested getting a binder and keeping copies of all my records and pet scans and stuff and taking it to each appointment with me. I never put so much effort into anything as I did in that binder. It helps to know that you are doing everything you possibly can (controlling what you can control at a time you feel slightly out of control). Ooh and you are definitely not alone in doing all the research or stocking up for this surgery either and I actually wish I had prepared more by cleaning cause it’s really hard to sit and stare at the mess post op and not get up and clean things. So I say keep doing what your doing. Just maybe pace yourself cause you still have three weeks.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I get joy out of planning things, so I'm in a similar boat. Surgery is 11/22 and I already know what is going in my hospital bag, ordered samples of Vitamins to try, scheduled clearances, ordered the things I need for my preop diet and everyday try to think of what else I can do to be more prepared. Just can't decide if I should get 2oz containers or go to 6oz to get more use out of them, I never realized the smallest I have is 16oz, no wonder one overeats without realizing it.

LOL, what you've said you've done makes you look like an amateur compared to me! I have 12 different calcium chews and 6 different bariatric Vitamins. I stocked up on over 100 premixed Protein Drinks, several Protein powders, grocery store foods, and dozens of different options of so called "bariatric" foods. There's no question that I went overboard, but maybe it's the boy scout coming out: I wanted to be prepared. I also didn't want to be a burden on my wife, and ask her to have to go shopping for me if I wasn't able to tolerate what we had in the house.

I 100% agree with @ShoppGirl. If this is helping you feel in control, then I think it's healthy. Only you can decide if it's become a problem for you.

1 hour ago, SpartanMaker said:

There's no question that I went overboard, but maybe it's the boy scout coming out: I wanted to be prepared. I also didn't want to be a burden on my wife, and ask her to have to go shopping for me if I wasn't able to tolerate what we had in the house.

i have been trying to restrain myself greatly (hence the $100 budget that turned into a little extra lol) … I have already bought some things ;) just wanting to over buy a lot right now !

totally understand not wanting to burden after surgery… hate the thought of inconveniencing my husband or family!! want to have a good selection for myself and be as self sufficient as I can be

this is such a life change and knowing there is a before and after it has me freaked a bit…

oh - @NP_WIP I think ordering disposable 2 oz little containers is a good idea… i have already ordered 2 oz a month ago and already had 4 oz to add to my preparations

28 minutes ago, KimA-GA said:

oh - @NP_WIP I think ordering disposable 2 oz little containers is a good idea… i have already ordered 2 oz a month ago and already had 4 oz to add to my preparations

Got the disposable ones from Amazon and will get some 6 oz from Ikea for meal prepping.

I think it's not a bad thing to be prepared for this or anything in the future if you can control it. Making a list of things you need and crossing it off once you got everything is a good way to still stay in control and not going over board and you'll know exactly what you need and don't. I've been preparing myself lately 😌. My surgery isn't until Dec 9th but because I'm on a budget I've been getting stuff together slowly but surly. I got everything that's "pantry" food now and will get what needs to go in the fridge about a week before my surgery so everything will still be fresh.

I never knew about the 2oz meal prep containers though so thank you for that. I bought a small saucer and bowl from a Chinese store since it was small. Oh and I do have all my meds that I need already too. I really wanted to get that out the way before the holiday season made it hard to get things delivered on time.

Great work everyone!! Keep up the great work and take it one day at a time do you don't get burnt out.

1 hour ago, KimA-GA said:

I got a bunch of the 1oz cups from the hospital, but stopped using them after the first few days. What I did use a little longer was Dixie cups like you use in the bathroom. These are cheap for a huge amount and supposedly hold 3 oz filled to the top. I just learned where the 2oz line was and filled things to there.

Those leftover two ounce disposable cups are good later on to measure hummus and sauces/ dressings and stuff. One tablespoon is 0.5 fl oz. Most sauces use two tbsp as a serving so half that cup is one serving. I carry a cooler with me when I am out and about and I always have my Salad Dressing so if I stop for lunch I have my own which is the yogurt dressing so it’s quite a few less calories. Now I actually carry it in a different container and I eyeball it but that is after measuring it in those containers many times first.

Edited by ShoppGirl

19 hours ago, KimA-GA said:

I have ordered my last batch of Protein Shakes (tho most of them will be incorporated into pre op diet but will have some after) and a variety of products for my liquid phase and beyond for home and to keep at my desk at work (protein shots, bariatric Protein Soup mix, special drink mixes etc… about $100 worth total of a variety of products to try) … also already have a list of stuff to get from the grocery store before surgery for the first two weeks or so… want to be stocked up and not have to think much

also starting some nervous cleaning (which is unlike me lol) to try to make this nicer for when i get home…

please tell me I am not alone with over preparing in the final stretch before surgery!!!!

I dont think you can be over prepared. I mean I dont even have surgery date and I already want to order every thing and pack a bag!!!😅My surgery will probably not be until January or Feburary. Im a planner so thats what I want to do and the fact that I dont have a date is driving me crazy!!! I want to prep meals for my son and husband so I dont have to cook for the 1st couple of weeks. But my hubby keeps telling me its too early to start making stuff!!

Edited by MountainClover
misspelling

19 hours ago, NP_WIP said:

I get joy out of planning things, so I'm in a similar boat. Surgery is 11/22 and I already know what is going in my hospital bag, ordered samples of Vitamins to try, scheduled clearances, ordered the things I need for my preop diet and everyday try to think of what else I can do to be more prepared. Just can't decide if I should get 2oz containers or go to 6oz to get more use out of them, I never realized the smallest I have is 16oz, no wonder one overeats without realizing it.

I still use my 2 ounce containers. They come in really handy for packed lunch sauces/ mayo. Great for having in your bag for emergency food. I never go out without some Protein heavy snack for when my energy levels are low. I put nuts in mine, great for quick grab Snacks. I never needed bigger tubs, just used my own Chinese rice bowls

3 hours ago, MountainClover said:

I dont think you can be over prepared. I mean I dont even have surgery date and I already want to order every thing and pack a bag!!!😅My surgery will probably not be until January or Feburary. Im a planner so thats what I want to do and the fact that I dont have a date is driving me crazy!!! I want to prep meals for my son and husband so I dont have to cook for the 1st couple of weeks. But my hubby keeps telling me its too early to start making stuff!!

I totally get it, I like to prepare well in advance for things. Since homemade food doesn’t have preservatives, though you could actually end up wasting it if you make it too soon. Perhaps just make your lists of what you want to make for each day and what ingredients you need to buy. That way you are a couple steps closer without actually making it.

28 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I totally get it, I like to prepare well in advance for things. Since homemade food doesn’t have preservatives, though you could actually end up wasting it if you make it too soon. Perhaps just make your lists of what you want to make for each day and what ingredients you need to buy. That way you are a couple steps closer without actually making it.

i am not going to make more than i already have in my freezer for homemade food yet. figure that may be something I can do while recuperating ;) nothing like slowly working on a lovely flavor base for a Soup all day (with plenty of time if naps are needed!)

I currently have a supply of homemade chicken stock and cubes of sautéed and puréed onions in chicken stock (smooth consistency that should perk up some stock and easily go through a strainer) that i know i can enjoy during liquid phase when needed, but made them a month ago to use as needed.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, KimA-GA said:

I think most people are all guilty of this to an extent. I know I was. I bought all this stuff to make milkshakes that I got he recipes for out of gastric sleeve cookbooks and I think I made all of 3 shakes. I even bought an immersion blender to help make them. Like Ben Franklin said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” You’re preventing being unprepared and it will be worth it in the long run.