Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has done this alone with no support system?

I had mine in 2021 August and live quite far from the hospital my husband dropped me off and wasnt able to come in with me because of covid I had to stay in hospital for 4 days then he picked me up with the bad news my Brother passed away with covid while I was in hospital quiete daunting and he looked after me

On 9/20/2022 at 10:50 AM, 18kDays said:

Congrats to all my October buddies. My surgery date is October 3rd. I started my pre-op liquid diet yesterday and it seems surprisingly easy. I do wonder how I will feel about it next week though. I am isolated in my daily life. I am over 50, single with no kids at home or nearby, I work from home and live in a suburban area that is mostly made up of families and traveling plant workers and I don't know anyone - no support system in place. Who else is going through this completely alone? I am arranging paid transportation to the med center and a paid medical transport to bring me home following the procedure. For those of you who have had to go through this by yourself, did you feel able to manage alone post-op? What was the most difficult thing?

Hi ..I was wondering if anyone else's Surgery asked for a support person to write a letter to them?

I was pretty much alone even though my husband works from home. I was fine without help once I got home from the hospital. I actually was fine in the hospital too, I just had a lot of nausea and stayed several days, but I never needed help getting around or anything, even right after the surgery. I was able to drive to my follow up appt. A week later with no problem, and it's almost an hour drive.
I think you should be just fine without anyone around as long as you follow your post op instructions. You may not have support there, but you can come to this site for tons of it. The people here are nothing but awesome and helpful!
Good luck to you!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

I live alone, my daughter picked me up from the hospital. I have friends that are supportive but no one to really talk to on a daily basis about weight loss. I was just fine. My biggest problem post op was my neck was so painful from being in the position they put your head in to intubate. Have bad arthritis in the neck, so I wasn't surprised. To be honest, my neck and the headache it gave me were worse than any abdominal discomfort. 4 days after I got home my German Sheppard was dropped off to me, his legs had gone from bad to worse. Poor guy was in so much pain and long story short was euthanized 3 weeks later. I was so busy caring for my baby that I just went into auto pilot mode. If it had been a difficult surgery, I don't know what I would have done. The abdominal pain was minimal. Had no problem walking or getting around. Good luck to you, you've got this!

On 9/22/2022 at 3:45 PM, Giginc said:

Hi ..I was wondering if anyone else's Surgery asked for a support person to write a letter to them?

Hi Giginc. I have not been asked for a letter like this.