Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking cigarettes and surgery

Hello All,

I am a heavy smoker and in the pre-OP phase for bypass surgery. I want to know if anyone used to be a smoker and how it feels after surgery. I've heard some people will lose their craving for smoke or do you have to quit?

No, I've never been a smoker.

You really should do whatever you can to stop smoking now. Being a smoker and having surgery may cause you to not heal properly, and have an increased risk of blood clots. Obesity itself increases the risk of blood clots, so being an active smoker puts you at super high risk. Also smoking can cause increased risk of anesthesia issues, and infection. Is it worth the chance? So why go through with a surgery expecting a full recovery and a completely healed stomach pouch, but risk all of the complications of being an active smoker? You could get a gut leak and that could be deadly. Stop now, don't think about risking it. Also some surgeons do nicotene tests and will cancel surgery if you test positive.

Best Wishes!

My mother in law taste buds changed so she didn't crave smoking as much anymore.

They usually want you nicotine free for the surgery. My vsg surgeon tested me for it, but my revision surgeon did not. Just like for any surgery, up to you if you want to quit after that. Lose weight, stop smoking as you know is the general consensus.

Aside from the damage smoking does to your lungs and heart, it does a number of other harmful things to your body. Some of these are important when talking about bariatric surgery.

Fast facts:

• Most surgeons won't operate on you if you have smoked within 4-6 weeks of the surgery. Some want you be smoke free even longer.
  • Smoking significantly increases your recovery time because it causes your blood vessels to constrict, which reduces blood flow. It also reduces the amount of oxygen your red blood cells can transport. Well oxygenated blood is critical for healing.
  • You will have at least a 30% increased risk of complications over a non-smoker. (Blood clot, anastomotic leak, pneumonia, etc.)
  • Your mortality risk due to surgery is double or even triple that of a non-smoker.
  • Smoking can cause esophageal strictures post-surgery that would need emergency care and possibly another operation.
  • The chances are extremely high that you will develop an ulcer even years later, especially if you take up smoking again post-surgery. A complete perforation due to an ulcer is a life threatening emergency due to sepsis.
  • Your chances of reaching your goal weight are much lower than non-smokers. Much of this is attributed to the fact that smoking reduces your ability to exercise, and numerous studies have shown people that don't exercise post-surgery are significantly more likely lose less weight, or even return to their original weight, than those that exercise regularly.

If you are expecting bariatric surgery to reduce your cravings for nicotine, I wouldn't count on it. It's extremely common for smokers to restart post surgery. In fact, there's even an elevated chance that non-smokers start smoking post surgery as they replace one addiction with another.

Best of luck. I hope you can kick the habit now and if possible, wait a while before having WLS. The longer you let your body heal after quitting smoking, the lower the risk and better your outcomes will be.

Edited by SpartanMaker
spelling

1 hour ago, SpartanMaker said:

The chances are extremely high that you will develop an ulcer even years later, especially if you take up smoking again post-surgery. A complete perforation due to an ulcer is a life threatening emergency due to sepsis.

Yeah I forgot to mention the increased risk of ulcers, thanks for mentioning it.

One thing my surgeon said was for smokers they had to quit before surgery and for a while after surgery otherwise the healing can be put in jeopardy. They even said that for smokers who are too addicted to it that they would be given a prescription (i dont know what) I am 4 months post op and i smoke lots of weed lol.

Edited by liveaboard15

So many programs vary so wildly. My program won’t go forward with anyone who is actively smoking (anything) or who doesn’t commit to quitting for a minimum of a year after surgery.

One person walked out of the class saying they weren’t willing to do that.

I’m sure the programs have their reasons… and I understand why it’s not always an easy thing for people to do.

I was a chain smoker for most of my adult life, and only managed to finally quit 3 years ago, so I totally get the addiction. Its hooks run deep. Even 3 years quit, my surgeon was adamant that I not only never touch it again, but also avoid passive smoking because of the risk of ulcers. And I developed one a mere week after I went of Pantoprazole 3 months after surgery, and... yeah, it's a real good idea to avoid getting one! They're not fun. So it's a great extra deterrent.

Have a chat to your team, they may recommend something to help you quit. After years using the Patches, they stopped being effective so I had my GP put me on Champix, and it worked. Yeah, you get wild dreams and that puts a lot of people off, and the nausea is unpleasant, but both were worth the result for me. Best of luck with whatever you do.

I was a smoker for years and then I vaped for a couple years as well so I get the addiction as well. Just know that quitting is possible. I actually quit smoking cold Turkey the first time and picked it up again years later. The second time I decided to use the vape as a tool to help me quit. I slowly decreased the nicotine until I got to zero and then it was easier to quit just the habit without the nicotine addiction. As others have said, smoking preop increases your risks of complications from surgery and smoking afterwards affects healing and can cause ulcers so please don’t take a chance with that. It’s really not worth it. If you need more time to truly quit, ask for a date a little further out and give yourself the time to really quit. I assure you it can be done once you make your mind up to do it. And I know how much you want this surgery asap. We all do, but if you have complications you will be down even longer recovering so better to get yourself truly ready and even if your surgery date is later you will probably be back to normal sooner doing it the safer way.

My surgeon flat out won't do surgery if your not 3 months without smoking and I don't know how long you have to commit to quitting. I quit 16 years ago with my daughter because I was making her sick. They test and I know people who's Surgeries were canceled.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

One thing my surgeon said was for smokers they had to quit before surgery and for a while after surgery otherwise the healing can be put in jeopardy. They even said that for smokers who are too addicted to it that they would be given a prescription (i dont know what) I am 4 months post op and i smoke lots of weed lol.
Usually a prescription of chantex or welburtron (don't know if that spelled right,

Also I got a prescription for chantex it stopped your body from recognizing nicotine, and so you go threw withdrawal while smoking so some find it easier that way ... but I did that, then switched to southern tip "cigarettes" you can find them on Amazon they are a tobacco and nicotine free cigarette, helps me alot when I feel the need to smoke, and still be nicotine free, because the issue they have is with the nicotine not the smoking it's self ( I asked lol) and my friend who went threw beriatric surgery was excited they said no smoking but didn't say no chew, then they corrected it to inform him no nicotine, so no chew, cigarettes, or vape that contains nicotine

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

My program tested my blood for nicotine. If I would have had a positive test then I would have to be 3 months nicotine free before I could even be seen by the doctor again. It is not an easy habit to break but get help early on in the process to help you.