Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months out and stalled all month!

Hi Everyone, I had the sleeve done in FEB 2022. I've lost a total of 30 lbs, which considering I was losing 1/2 pound a month before surgery. I'll take it!

Figured I would be honest with myself, my calorie count has sneaked up from 800-1200, not every day, but most. I'm also eating carbs. I do not lose when doing carbs, they have to be few and far between. The good news is, Salads are on the menu again! That makes life so much easier and easier to avoid carbs. This is disappointing and I'm a bit surprised because I'm physically hungry most of the time! Thought I would share to see if anyone else has this problem. I need to clean my diet up, resume meditating everyday and throw out the carbs! And walk more. I have a new puppy I wasn't expecting and it has turned my world upside, but no more excuses!

Good luck to all of you.

Luckily, puppies and walks are a natural combination. Good luck!

I think you should continue sticking to your diet plan. Stalls do happen and at times quite irritating especially in the first 6 months when you expect your weight to fly away.

I have had slow losing months every other month since the surgery. I stalled about 3 weeks or so too around month 5 where I barely lost 4 or 5 pounds that month. But then weight continued to fly the next month. So, it'll happen as long as you stick to your diet routine.

Hope you break the stall soon.

I am just coming off a 5 week stall. It was very frustration to say the least. Not a single pound lost in a full 5 weeks.....thats so unreal. I hated it lol. Today I wnt to the Drs office and I was down 4.6 lbs. Ill take it!!! Hang in there

Stalls happen. Frustrating & demoralising at times but part of the process. But you also know you have been going off plan which is hindering your weight loss too. You know what you have to do to get back on track. Remember the benefits of the surgery don’t last forever. Take advantage of them now. Take your lovely puppy for walks. Ditch the carbs. Stick to your plan. Ensure you’re meeting your Fluid & Protein goals. Check if you’re really hungry or just head hungry. Are you hungry for a specific food or food type? Does it pass if you distract yourself or have something to drink? Real hunger feels different to head hunger. For me I get restless & feel like something is wrong. It doesn’t pass & I don’t crave anything specific.

You can do this.

Thank you for the support! I appreciate the ideas and support. I think what I'm really whining about is that have to get rid of carbs, when I'm doing everything else right! I do walk as much as my body allows, I have physical issues which keep me from doing 3 miles a day like I'd like to. Still I'm eating very little compared to the average person. I walk everyday, plus weights, yoga, etc. I eat a small amount of carbs and throws me into non Keto and I stall. I guess my body doesn't care about all this, it is what it is! So I've gotten back into just healthy eating, lots of protein!

2 hours ago, DonnaGS said:

Thank you for the support! I appreciate the ideas and support. I think what I'm really whining about is that have to get rid of carbs, when I'm doing everything else right! I do walk as much as my body allows, I have physical issues which keep me from doing 3 miles a day like I'd like to. Still I'm eating very little compared to the average person. I walk everyday, plus weights, yoga, etc. I eat a small amount of carbs and throws me into non Keto and I stall. I guess my body doesn't care about all this, it is what it is! So I've gotten back into just healthy eating, lots of protein!

Carbs are, at least for me, the VERY worst thing I can eat if I want to lose weight. But it's not really possible to eat a balanced diet and cut out ALL carbs. My dietician said to consume 60-80g of Protein per day, less than 50g of carbs per day, and less than 50g of fats per day. She said food should be half a cup or less per meal, and for those meals that I can't measure in a measuring cup, I bought a food scale and make sure not to go over 4oz per meal (I typically stay around the 3oz mark, just o be safe). When I had my stall, it happened at 2 1/2 weeks and lasted a full 2 weeks. I actually gained 5 pounds during it and then just got stuck. Now I'm 7 weeks post op today and I'm losing between 5-7 pounds per week (before my stall I literally lost 30 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks, it was crazy!!!) so while the weight loss has slowed a lot from pre stall, I like the pace I'm at. It's easier to manage and even with the dietary restrictions, I still get to order yummy stuff and not feel left out (and I end up with at least 1 or 2 more meals with my leftovers LOL. My husband calls me a cheap date).

Sleevediva, you are doing wonderful! Congrats. My surgeon and dietician recommend just having carbs twice a week, When I say carbs I mostly mean bread, potatoes, Pasta. I can eat fruit in small quantities and can even have a yam here and there. The twice a week gives me an out when I go to a restaurant, I can have what everyone else is eating and not feel left out. Its keeping track of the twice a week that gets tricky. Need to write it down on my calendar so I don't play games like "my twice a week starts today," and I say that everyday. ugh.

9 hours ago, DonnaGS said:

I eat a small amount of carbs and throws me into non Keto and I stall.

May be it’s the type of carbs? From purée stage I was allowed carbs: rolled oats & vegetables (not potatoes), then fruit later on. So instead of saying ditch the carbs I should have said reduce the carbs & look for more nutritious complex carbs like in multi & whole grains (low processed), seeds & vegetables. If you’re able to eat bread & Pasta on your plan look for the low carb, high Protein & multi grain versions. And of course leave them to last when eating: protein first then vegetables & then carbs if you can. But maybe it’s a case of discovering what works for you and it may be reduced carbs or only complex high fibre carbs.

Ketosis didn’t last for my whole weight loss phase, just in the beginning. (Thank goodness - those bad body odour, bad breath, Keto flu, etc. side effects are awful.) You don’t have to be in ketosis to lose weight. That’s just one way. Continuing to be calorie deficient will enable you to lose weight.

I haven’t eaten pasta, rice or bread since before my surgery three years ago. I go out often including to Italian & Japanese restaurants & haven't felt like I’m missing out yet by not eating rice or pasta. Plenty of other options on the menu. As for bread - I have 7 specialty bakeries & patisseries within a 2 km strolling radius of my home. Don’t feel I’m missing out with them either. It’s just how you look at it. But that’s me. You have to discover what works for you.

At 3 weeks I wasn't eating any carbs at all! But I'm getting hungrier and hungrier as time goes on. Real hunger, not "head" hunger. I know some people have to deal with more than others. I started getting hungry ast end the end of my first 3 weeks. Added Proteins and some vegs in, that helped. As I get farther away from surgery the hunger is getting worse. I'm trying to get an appt with my surgeon to talk about this again.

Of course the type of Carb makes a big difference. But I noticed any carbs, even high quality ones with loads of Fiber still slow me down on losing.

Crisscat, it doesn't feel right does it? I'm glad you finally started losing again. Hang in there!

Glad you’re going to go back to your surgeon. If all the suggestions & ideas based upon people’s experiences here don’t provide you with any answers or ideas to try about your struggles your surgeon is your best bet. Hope they can help.

I seem to be in a cycle of losing and gaining the same 3 lbs. I keep going in between 250 and 248. I am also about 4 months post op. Is a 4 month stall normal?

I thought I broke 250 but it goes in between those 3 numbers probably for 3 weeks now I think or more idk... I'm going to be honest I'm not meeting my Protein goals or hydration goals. Trying very hard with Water but protein I am.not getting enough. I am still in a major calorie deficit and started vigorous exercise recently. I'm frustrated but all I can do is stay off the scale, stay in my deficit and keep working to reach my protein and water goal. Uhh but it is the most frustrating thing ever. I want to get to 200 so badly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app