Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Watching videos of people eating

I'm halfway through my 2 week pre-op diet and in the past couple of days I've discovered I enjoy watching YouTube videos of people doing food challenges. Not gross, 10 hot dogs in a minute challenges, but eating lots of food. I feel like it partially satisfies my desire to binge and also gives me some of that about-to-eat anticipation I love. And for whatever reason, it doesn't make me more hungry. I even enjoy watching them eat things that I don't eat (since I'm a vegetarian).

I also like watching people do food reviews while they're eating though not quite as much.

Anyone else experience this? Does this sound like a bad thing?

I don't want to embed a YouTube video since the thumbnail has food, but here's an example of one I really enjoyed watching last night: Click here for food

I had a 3 week pre op and after the first week it got so tough. I was unable to watch my husband eat or smell the food cooking. So no I wouldn't have been able to watch these challenges. I did how ever read all the posts on here of Before and after Pics. It helped with my motivation

Lolol I watched mukbangs through my 2 week post op liquid phase. I missed food so much at that point it was the only thing keeping me going. It never made me want to eat, I know some people have that issue with eating videos but yeah I was basically on liquids for 4 weeks pre and post op.... and watching videos of people eating made me feel better like I was connected to food again in some way. Being human and not eating is such a weird mental thing (beyond the physical sensations)

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Lolol I watched mukbangs through my 2 week post op liquid phase. I missed food so much at that point it was the only thing keeping me going. It never made me want to eat, I know some people have that issue with eating videos but yeah I was basically on liquids for 4 weeks pre and post op.... and watching videos of people eating made me feel better like I was connected to food again in some way. Being human and not eating is such a weird mental thing (beyond the physical sensations)

Thank you! I'm not alone! Earlier today I discovered the word "Mukbang". You really can find everything on the internet.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:59 PM, doobie31 said:

Anyone else experience this? Does this sound like a bad thing?

OMG, me! And I say no, its not a bad thing! Of course i may be biased lol.

Every since surgery, i love everything about food: cooking it, looking at it, smelling it, researching it, shopping for it, taking pics of it, watching people eat it, going to restaurants, reading menus, collecting recipes, planning meals for weeks ahead of time, and so on and so in.

Actually EATING it, is way down on the preference list though. Its just not as satisfying for some reason.

I used think i was developing a serious neurosis, but now i just go with it.

Im 3.5+ years out.

56 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Every since surgery, i love everything about food: cooking it, looking at it, smelling it, researching it, shopping for it, taking pics of it, watching people eat it, going to restaurants, reading menus, collecting recipes, planning meals for weeks ahead of time, and so on and so in.

Actually EATING it, is way down on the preference list though. Its just not as satisfying for some reason.

Im 3.5+ years out.

Wow! I definitely know who The Legend is. If it works for you, I definitely feel good about it. 😂

Im 3.5+ years out.
Omg im the same way! I love everything about food but I no longer love eating it the MOST. I love feeding people and giving gifts. I take pictures of everything and only go after fine and rare ingredients. It's an expensive hobby [emoji28]

I'm a fan of Yuka Kinoshita. She's on YouTube and she eats an incredible amount (and I mean, an unbelievable amount but she is able to due to health reasons) and shares her recipes too.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I'm a fan of Yuka Kinoshita. She's on YouTube and she eats an incredible amount (and I mean, an unbelievable amount but she is able to due to health reasons) and shares her recipes too.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks, I will check her out. My favorite so far is Katina Eats Kilos. She doesn't eat too fast and talks a lot during it. And does all kinds of food. So much fun and satisfying to watch.

On 6/19/2022 at 2:02 PM, doobie31 said:

Thanks, I will check her out. My favorite so far is Katina Eats Kilos. She doesn't eat too fast and talks a lot during it. And does all kinds of food. So much fun and satisfying to watch.

omg that steak she is eating looks soooo good haha. Thanks for sharing. Yuka Kinoshita used to have all her in english subtitles but recently she hasn't found someone to translate for her. Check out the 20 million view video whenever you feel like checking her out. The way she eats is pure madness lol.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:35 AM, Tomo said:

omg that steak she is eating looks soooo good haha. Thanks for sharing. Yuka Kinoshita used to have all her in english subtitles but recently she hasn't found someone to translate for her. Check out the 20 million view video whenever you feel like checking her out. The way she eats is pure madness lol.

Now that I've had my surgery (June 21), these aren't as fun anymore 😂 The thought of all that food does not make me feel good. Maybe that craving will come back. But during my pre-op, these videos made life much better. I suspect I'll like them again once I'm eating again.