Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To count or not to count (calories)

I just came back from a two-week overseas vacation. I decided not to track calories because I had no idea what was in food and I wanted to try different things, like a bite of this or that that my family was eating. I ate way too many sweets, but I also noticed that because I was not "tracking to eat" (usually I serve myself a portion then add it into the tracker and finish it), I was focusing on my hunger (that's not to say I wasn't eating too much, because I was. I ended up gaining about 2 lbs over the two weeks, which is a LOT less than before surgery, when I might gain 10 lbs on a two week overseas vacation.

I found that I enjoyed focusing on my hunger cues, and I am thinking about not counting calories, but I have read so much about how tracking calories is the best predictor of success in weight loss and maintenance. I am wondering if I can focus on eating healthier foods and honoring my hunger, can I continue to lose weight and then maintain?

What have other people found?

I do something sorta in between. I have a shake for Breakfast and usually have a lunchable or a slice of egg white quiche for lunch which I know the average calories. I always keep my dinner right around 500 calories (I only have a handful of things that I eat because I am pretty picky eater) and I allow myself Snacks that are about 100 calories when I am hungry. I do not track my snacks but I do keep them low calorie. Then I just weigh myself and if I gain I know that I have been giving in to the head hunger too much so I really ask myself if it’s real hunger. So I guess I do track my meals (I just have done the calculations already so I don’t have to do them daily) and I restrict my snack choices but not the quantity.

2 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I do something sorta in between. I have a shake for Breakfast and usually have a lunchable or a slice of egg white quiche for lunch which I know the average calories. I always keep my dinner right around 500 calories (I only have a handful of things that I eat because I am pretty picky eater) and I allow myself Snacks that are about 100 calories when I am hungry. I do not track my Snacks but I do keep them low calorie. Then I just weigh myself and if I gain I know that I have been giving in to the head hunger too much so I really ask myself if it’s real hunger. So I guess I do track my meals (I just have done the calculations already so I don’t have to do them daily) and I restrict my snack choices but not the quantity.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't really work for me as I eat most of my meals out due to work travel. I'm always "guestimating" what I am eating, but usually that is not an issue if I make good choices. At home I do make recipes in MyFitnessPal and know exactly what I'm eating. But that's only 1-2 days a week most weeks.

I have never counted calories. Nor grams of Protein, carbs, or whatever.

I did weigh my food for the first month or so. After that I just eye-balled everything.

Vacations aren't really all that different, though I make a few choices I wouldn't make at home.

Even eating out I eat appropriate choices and portions. I don't really care about leaving food on the plate.

I didn't have WLS to spend the rest of my life on a diet.

Good luck,

Tek

I am still after 9 months counting my calories and logging my exercise. I am too afraid to stop because I do not want to end up eating more than I think I am eating.

28 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

Unfortunately, this wouldn't really work for me as I eat most of my meals out due to work travel. I'm always "guestimating" what I am eating, but usually that is not an issue if I make good choices. At home I do make recipes in MyFitnessPal and know exactly what I'm eating. But that's only 1-2 days a week most weeks.

A lot of people really do well with the intuitive eating. I say give it a try. It seems like it will fit your lifestyle better anyways.

it really depends on the person. The two dietitians at my clinic are really into "intuitive eating" and hate the fact that I count calories, but counting calories has worked for me and I'm not about to give it up. But some people do much better with things like intuitive eating. I say whatever works!

Personally, I cannot eat intuitively. At least not yet. First of all, I still don't always feel "hunger" (8 months post-VSG) and secondly, I know that I have some disordered/emotional eating habits that still need some work. My hope is that over time, tracking combined with surgery will get me there. But for now, I track everything I eat as a way of holding myself accountable. I don't have a calorie goal or limit, and I never restrict myself from eating based on the numbers, but it helps me be mindful and thoughtful about what I'm eating and how much. It also helps me make better food choices to be aware of how much Protein I've had or when I might be lacking. I agree with others, that I had surgery to be able to live and not diet the rest of my life, but I also understand that I have a SUPER unhealthy relationship with food that will take time and effort to heal. For me for right now, tracking is one of the tools I'm using to help heal that relationship, but I'm hopeful it won't be necessary forever.

2 minutes ago, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

Personally, I cannot eat intuitively. At least not yet. First of all, I still don't always feel "hunger" (8 months post-VSG) and secondly, I know that I have some disordered/emotional eating habits that still need some work. My hope is that over time, tracking combined with surgery will get me there. But for now, I track everything I eat as a way of holding myself accountable. I don't have a calorie goal or limit, and I never restrict myself from eating based on the numbers, but it helps me be mindful and thoughtful about what I'm eating and how much. It also helps me make better food choices to be aware of how much Protein I've had or when I might be lacking. I agree with others, that I had surgery to be able to live and not diet the rest of my life, but I also understand that I have a SUPER unhealthy relationship with food that will take time and effort to heal. For me for right now, tracking is one of the tools I'm using to help heal that relationship, but I'm hopeful it won't be necessary forever.

I agree with all of this. Except that I never lost my hunger. I have a calorie "goal" but I usually would go over it and not get upset or restrict myself. It's just that you have to put some number in MyFitnessPal. I've had a lot of different types of disordered eating.

1 minute ago, lizonaplane said:

I agree with all of this. Except that I never lost my hunger. I have a calorie "goal" but I usually would go over it and not get upset or restrict myself. It's just that you have to put some number in MyFitnessPal. I've had a lot of different types of disordered eating.

Yep, I totally get it. I've been using Baritastic just because its what my surgeon recommended and its nice that you can pick and choose goals - I have a Protein goal but nothing else. Its definitely not as comprehensive as MFP, but for me its enough to get the job done. The hunger thing is hit or miss. I completely lost it the first 6 months and now I feel it somedays more than others, somedays not at all. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to it, but because its so unreliable, I still rely heavily on eating on a schedule, hitting my Fluid and protein, etc.

Maybe try moving more towards intuitive eating/not tracking for a month and compare your results? Take lots of notes - how do you feel, how is your hunger, how are you sleeping, any other symptoms or changes, and so on.... then reevaluate and go from there? It never hurts to try!

6 minutes ago, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

Yep, I totally get it. I've been using Baritastic just because its what my surgeon recommended and its nice that you can pick and choose goals - I have a Protein goal but nothing else. Its definitely not as comprehensive as MFP, but for me its enough to get the job done. The hunger thing is hit or miss. I completely lost it the first 6 months and now I feel it somedays more than others, somedays not at all. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to it, but because its so unreliable, I still rely heavily on eating on a schedule, hitting my Fluid and Protein, etc.

Maybe try moving more towards intuitive eating/not tracking for a month and compare your results? Take lots of notes - how do you feel, how is your hunger, how are you sleeping, any other symptoms or changes, and so on.... then reevaluate and go from there? It never hurts to try!

I know many people really like Baritastic, but I have more than 12 years of data on MFP and I am comfortable using it, so I don't want to change...

I think I'm going to track calories this week to see if I can lose the 2 lbs I gained on my trip and then see from there.

I'm still tracking everything and I'm not sure I'll ever stop - I'd be afraid to. No defined calorie limit - for a few months I was having to sure I hit at least 800 calories a day but those days are gone. It just keeps me aware of what's going in. I weigh daily too and again I suspect it'll be at least weekly for life.

2 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

I'm still tracking everything and I'm not sure I'll ever stop - I'd be afraid to. No defined calorie limit - for a few months I was having to sure I hit at least 800 calories a day but those days are gone. It just keeps me aware of what's going in. I weigh daily too and again I suspect it'll be at least weekly for life.

Yeah, I weigh whenever I have a scale. I don't plan to stop that either.

So i am a daily food tracker/body weigher through and through and probably won’t ever stop cuz I actually like doing it and i love to analyze data and trends (3.5+ years and still going)

BUT….time and repetition (and data analysis) has taught me what amounts of what types of food is enough to maintain my weight AND not get sick. Stomach restriction also helps, but i tend not to rely on that too much because its just not comfortable (physically). If I were to eat to restriction every time, it is often too late and i’d feel sick/yucky more often.

I just came back from vacation where I didn’t track nor weigh myself. I ate according to what I knew I could handle and came back the same weight as I left**. So I know I can do this without tracking. BUT I’ll continue to track anyway now that I’m back.

Im lucky in the sense that my restriction is the last line of defence for over eating, but like i said, I rarely rely on that and just eat what I know i can handle. Historical tracking and paying attention helped alot it learning this for ME. So for those whose restriction is not as effective, recognizing what your limits are and keeping that in mind always to the point of second nature is probably your best bet. In short: Intuitive Eating.

P.S. ** I was ridiculously constipated on vacay and after a long-awaited poop when I came back, i dropped almost 2.5 lbs, so i guess technically, i lost weight on vacation. Mind you, the fact that I didn’t like (nor eat) most of the food probably contributed to this.

Edited by ms.sss

32 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

So i am a daily food tracker/body weigher through and through and probably won’t ever stop cuz I actually like doing it and i love to analyze data and trends (3.5+ years and still going)

BUT….time and repetition (and data analysis) has taught me what amounts of what types of food is enough to maintain my weight AND not get sick. Stomach restriction also helps, but i tend not to rely on that too much because its just not comfortable (physically). If I were to eat to restriction every time, it is often too late and i’d feel sick/yucky more often.

I just came back from vacation where I didn’t track nor weigh myself. I ate according to what I knew I could handle and came back the same weight as I left**. So I know I can do this without tracking. BUT I’ll continue to track anyway now that I’m back.

Im lucky in the sense that my restriction is the last line of defence for over eating, but like i said, I rarely rely on that and just eat what I know i can handle. Historical tracking and paying attention helped alot it learning this for ME. So for those whose restriction is not as effective, recognizing what your limits are and keeping that in mind always to the point of second nature is probably your best bet. In short: Intuitive Eating.

P.S. ** I was ridiculously constipated on vacay and after a long-awaited poop when I came back, i dropped almost 2.5 lbs, so i guess technically, i lost weight on vacation. Mind you, the fact that I didn’t like (nor eat) most of the food probably contributed to this.

I find that if I don't eat to restriction, I am so hungry in 30 minutes-1 hour. It's not particularly comfortable, and there's a fine line between feeling too full and wanting to puke, but I don't know how else to eat enough to stay "full" more than 10-20 minutes.