Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One more try before surgery again

4 hours ago, nickiechell said:

Good for you Erin. I think although this is a challenging process it is worth it. What woke me up and made me decide to move forward with surgery was reading an after dr visit note that said ‘she has been obese most of her adult life’. Whoa. I had been in this war for most of my adult life. Time to bring in reinforcements, the right equipment and tools and dig in to win.

Me too, I was overweight and obese my entire life just about. Some people just need the extra help 🙋🏻‍♀️. I called my surgeons office and I need to get reestablished. They are sending some paper to fill out and send back then they will set me up with my first appointment. I just want to get this started already lol

I was an almost 10 lb baby….I was literally born fat. 😂. I was a fat kid, a fat adult, I was able to achieve most any goal I set out to do but I could never overcome obesity. I finally had to just tell myself if I could have, I would have. It wasn’t a lack of willpower, or knowledge, or anything. I simply could not maintain a weight loss on my own.

Losing weight didn’t magically make everything in my life perfect, but it sure fixed the weight related problems…and I had plenty.

On 5/17/2022 at 1:31 AM, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I was an almost 10 lb baby….I was literally born fat. 😂. I was a fat kid, a fat adult, I was able to achieve most any goal I set out to do but I could never overcome obesity. I finally had to just tell myself if I could have, I would have. It wasn’t a lack of willpower, or knowledge, or anything. I simply could not maintain a weight loss on my own.

Losing weight didn’t magically make everything in my life perfect, but it sure fixed the weight related problems…and I had plenty.

Oh no! I was a 5 pound baby, but 5 and up man, I could never beat obesity either. I don't know why its so hard besides being a foodie lol. I have hypothyroidism too. And if I stand for too long; my ankles, feet, and legs swell. My lower and in the middle of my back will ache. When I lay down, sometimes my hands fall asleep. It really sucks.

I'm scared doing this, but I have to. If I don't, I know my weight will just keep going up, which also scares me

I was so scared- I had a whole list of stuff that scared me. I tend to overthink things and come up with worst case scenarios. Honestly I just tried to focus on things step by step to avoid freaking out. I am a total scaredy cat who had never had a surgery like this before. I spent plenty of time thinking what the heck am I even doing? But it was 100% worth it. I am shocked literally every day at how much life is better with my sleeve. Even outside of the weight loss, feeling like I don’t have this insane hunger all the time, or feeling like I am always on the verge of slipping up and eating a whole pizza to myself. 😂. I feel like I enjoy food more now than before because I’m able to get food I actually want, knowing my portion sizes will be smaller.
I will say I had HUGE problems with swelling at my heaviest. My ankles were literally swollen for years. I had to be checked for all sorts of things, and in the end it went away after I lost the weight. I had ankle bones under there, who knew!

I never seen my ankle bones before either! Lol or my wrist bones. I finally got the paper work today. It's just crappy that I have to do everything all over again. The meetings, meeting up with the nutritionist, the therapist and whatever else. I just really hope it doesn't take as long as it did when I got my lapband. Which I think that was because I was under age when I was going through the process. I was 17. Started the meetings in May or June of 2008. I got my surgery on July 31st 2009. Fingers crossed that this goes faster. And fingers crossed that my insurance will still cover it! I'm sweating bullets over here!!

It's a bummer that I have to start everything over again since I haven't been there for so long. I got some paperwork on Thursday and the lady who I spoke to left a note saying she scheduled me for one of their group meetings which is on June third. I probably won't get a surgery date until like October 😕 how long did it take for everyone to get their surgery date?

I waited 7 yrs all I all with covid or it would have been sooner hope you get it sorted soon good luck hope youdon't wait to long

6 hours ago, Erin18 said:

It's a bummer that I have to start everything over again since I haven't been there for so long. I got some paperwork on Thursday and the lady who I spoke to left a note saying she scheduled me for one of their group meetings which is on June third. I probably won't get a surgery date until like October 😕 how long did it take for everyone to get their surgery date?

At the end of June 2021 I started a Dr lead weight loss program as a last ditch effort to lose weight without surgery. At the 6month mark I accepted that I needed the help of surgery. Thankfully the office had a surgery division so they all ready had all my medical records. I was going to have to do 6mnths dr lead weight loss to meet insurance requirements anyway so it wasn't a waste of time. I got scheduled for surgery but it's not til June 13th.

Hi! My surgery was on 3/22 and at this point I am lucky to eat 1/4 cup of food. It does depend on what I eat though. My husband is a year out from his VSG and he can probably eat about 3/4-1 cup of food. One thing that I am looking forward to after VSG is being able to maintain my weight loss. I have yo-yo'd up and down most of my adult life but I was never able to maintain my weight loss for long. I am hoping with the smaller stomach it will be much easier to maintain. That's the main reason I'd recommend surgery over dieting. I did also read something that said most people who diet are likely to gain their weight back plus some each time which causes them to eventually reach higher weights than before. Just something to keep in mind, I really hope you can lose the weight on your own but do not ever think that getting surgery is a bad decision or the "easy way out"!

On 5/23/2022 at 8:53 AM, Tatt said:

At the end of June 2021 I started a Dr lead weight loss program as a last ditch effort to lose weight without surgery. At the 6month mark I accepted that I needed the help of surgery. Thankfully the office had a surgery division so they all ready had all my medical records. I was going to have to do 6mnths dr lead weight loss to meet insurance requirements anyway so it wasn't a waste of time. I got scheduled for surgery but it's not til June 13th.

Good luck on your surgery day!!

On 5/23/2022 at 10:25 AM, lorlybeth84 said:

Hi! My surgery was on 3/22 and at this point I am lucky to eat 1/4 cup of food. It does depend on what I eat though. My husband is a year out from his VSG and he can probably eat about 3/4-1 cup of food. One thing that I am looking forward to after VSG is being able to maintain my weight loss. I have yo-yo'd up and down most of my adult life but I was never able to maintain my weight loss for long. I am hoping with the smaller stomach it will be much easier to maintain. That's the main reason I'd recommend surgery over dieting. I did also read something that said most people who diet are likely to gain their weight back plus some each time which causes them to eventually reach higher weights than before. Just something to keep in mind, I really hope you can lose the weight on your own but do not ever think that getting surgery is a bad decision or the "easy way out"!

I'm planning on getting the surgery. I really really need the help. I'm planning on the RNY. I have filled out everything I needed to fill out. I just need to bring it to the support group/seminar introduction thingy that I have to go to before getting scheduled to see the surgeon I had for my lapband. Sucky I have to get re established tho

So pleased for you Erin. I hope your journey goes well and that you don't have to wait too long :91_thumbsup:

On 5/23/2022 at 1:48 AM, Erin18 said:

It took me 7.5 months to have surgery after I called the surgery center. I used that time to practice eating healthier/lower carb and I lost 50 lbs before surgery. I'm so glad I did that!

I personally have been very fortunate. My portions are smaller an I stay away from sugar. I am 8 mos post op and I only have 71 more pounds to go to reach my goal. I watch what I eat but I have never been a big exercise person that part is a struggle. I am thankful for the surgery, I can walk an stand where as before I could not even stand long snout to make my own bed without a break. We go shopping an we can park anywhere because I am able to walk an stay walking for long periods of time. I work outside in my yard an enjoy family outings again. My biggest struggle is clothing right now as I’m in my weight loss phase I don’t want to buy too many things so I have been looking like a bag lady tied pants on with my shirt hanging off my shoulders. For this problem I am grateful

On 5/31/2022 at 8:54 AM, lizonaplane said:

It took me 7.5 months to have surgery after I called the surgery center. I used that time to practice eating healthier/lower carb and I lost 50 lbs before surgery. I'm so glad I did that!

I was planning about 6 or so months. I got my first appointment set up today after the information meeting! I could have gotten in this month with my first appointment, but other appointments interfered with that. So it is next month on the 19th. It feels so far away! But at least I'm on the way to getting it. It will probably be November or december before getting a date.

I also plan on eating better in the meantime to help with the weightloss when I get the surgery

Edited by Erin18