Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone walk me through their day of surgery? What all took place before and after the surgery (sleeve)? I was told by a nurse when I had my EGD done that they require 2 IVs (one in each arm) and she asked if I was aware of that and I said no. Her reply was they really should let people know this stuff so they arent surprised by it all. So just wondering if there are any other things that transpire that maybe was not disclosed ahead of time?

I was bypass, but it's probably similar. I think I just had one IV, but I could be wrong. It seems like I was in the pre-op area for quite awhile. A few people came by to do things or ask me questions - some nurses, the anesthesiologist, the surgeon. Then they rolled me down to the OR. I remember seeing about six people in there - the surgeon, his resident, a surgical fellow, the anesthesiologist, her resident, and a med student. I think there were a couple of nurses in there as well. I was only in there briefly before I was out like a light. I woke up in the recovery room about 1.5 hours later, but I swear it seemed like it had only been around two minutes. I just slept off and on the rest of the day. I honestly don't even remember being rolled up to my room. I was pretty out of it until the next morning.

I think I was told for a sleeve its a 1 hour up to 2 hour procedure. I guess I thought it would be longer.

A week before surgery, I had to shower in a surgical detergent every day. It wasnt the most pleasant body and hair wash. I got to the hospital at 8 am and got checked in. By 12 noon I was dressed in my gown, sexy socks and cap and being wheeled down to Anaesthetics. I was quickly put under and woke up in my room with a drip and the oddest sensation in my lower legs, I had plastic boots on that pulsed. It stops thrombosis.

11 hours ago, Crisscat said:

I think I was told for a sleeve its a 1 hour up to 2 hour procedure. I guess I thought it would be longer.

these are quick surgeries. Sleeves are probably about an hour. Bypass not much longer. Of course, if they run into issues, it'll take longer.

6 hours ago, summerseeker said:

A week before surgery, I had to shower in a surgical detergent every day. It wasnt the most pleasant body and hair wash. I got to the hospital at 8 am and got checked in. By 12 noon I was dressed in my gown, sexy socks and cap and being wheeled down to Anaesthetics. I was quickly put under and woke up in my room with a drip and the oddest sensation in my lower legs, I had plastic boots on that pulsed. It stops thrombosis.

Yep I was told that for my surgery day I will have the "leg warmers" on to help prevent clots. Im used to those because I had them for my C Sections. My mom was prone to blood clots in the legs. I did have a blood test recently to see the probability of me clotting. Test came back within normal limits but as a precaution Ill have those on as well.

Well here I thought I only had a few things left before surgery May 3rd....wrong lol. I still have the following to complete.

1. I have to meet with the Dietician about the clear liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery

2. Diabetic education (I have Type II, controlled by limiting carbs. Im a high normal and sometimes alittle over high normal) Im on no meds

3. Need appts to meet with Pharmacy and Anesthesiologists team

4. Final appt with the Dr doing surgery

5. Need a blood test for nicotine (I havent smoked in over 21 years but still have to do it) this will be the 3rd one

6. Covid Test 2 days before surgery

Anyone else have this type of schedule before surgery can be done?

And here I was worried about what happens on surgery day but looks like I have other areas to complete before worrying about surgery day ha!

8 hours ago, Crisscat said:

Well here I thought I only had a few things left before surgery May 3rd....wrong lol. I still have the following to complete.

1. I have to meet with the Dietician about the clear liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery

2. Diabetic education (I have Type II, controlled by limiting carbs. Im a high normal and sometimes alittle over high normal) Im on no meds

3. Need appts to meet with Pharmacy and Anesthesiologists team

4. Final appt with the Dr doing surgery

5. Need a blood test for nicotine (I havent smoked in over 21 years but still have to do it) this will be the 3rd one

6. Covid Test 2 days before surgery

Anyone else have this type of schedule before surgery can be done?

And here I was worried about what happens on surgery day but looks like I have other areas to complete before worrying about surgery day ha!

Gosh Crisscat, That's a lot of people still to see. They really test your stamina. Everybody wants a bit of cash from your surgery money pot. Three tests for nicotine does seem excessive. Thankfully, my word that I had abstained for 12 years was enough for my surgeon. Good luck with your journey

Before surgery, I was put on Clear Liquids for one day, and NPO (nothing by mouth) after midnight the day of surgery. I was also given a bottle of CHG (chlorhexidine gluconate, a strongly antiseptic wash) and told to wash twice with a washcloth and plenty of it. It made my skin feel "slippery". The night before surgery, a nurse called to go over things with me and ask questions about allergies, etc. She also answered questions I had (and I had a lot).

The day of surgery, I reported to the hospital. I'd done all my check-in paperwork before so just had a few minutes at reception/intake. Then I was sent to a waiting room, given a brain-swab Covid test, and called when my slot in the OR was ready. I changed into that super sexy gown, was washed again, and my stomach was shaved (I'm a dude). They gave me some pills, including an anti-nausea medication and some Tylenol. They also put a seasickness patch behind my ear.

I met the surgeon, who asked a bunch of questions, then the priest (just pro forma), then the anesthesiologist, with more questions. They started an IV in me. My fiancé was allowed to stay with me as my "interpreter" since I am hard of hearing and have trouble communicating with masks. I was rolled out and in the operating theatre there were the anesthesiologist, his resident, the surgeon, his resident, two nurses. I had given permission for my operation to be broadcast to medical students (how will we get new doctors unless we let new doctoral candidates see what they need to know?) so there was a camera.

The anesthesia was started and the next thing I knew I was in my recovery room with my fiancé by my side. I was EXTREMELY sleepy and kept nodding off. There was food brought but I only managed a few sips and actually fell asleep with my spoon in the broth. I was discharged twelve hours after I arrived and went home and slept.

@ vikingbeast......wow! Only 1 day clear fluids.....😲 amazing how differently things can be doctor to doctor. I have a high BMI and I was told I have to have 2 full weeks of clear liquids before surgery. Now I know thats to help shrink the liver (plus to aid in further weight loss) but shocked yours was only 1 day lol....Im jealous 😜