Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dreaded hair loss - question

I was taking Biotin religiously months before surgery, and post surgery met all Protein and Vitamin goals plus collagen support supplements. I couldn't have done more to prepare, but from 4 months, my hair has thinned and while it's slowed down now at 6 months, I joke that I have to style my hair into a comb-over. I had fine hair normally, so losing volume has really thinned it out. It sucks. It really does. I'm not quite at the "wear a hat" or scarf stage, but I'm not far off.

Just got to ride it out and focus on the good. My brother says I look ten years younger, so even with crappy hair, that's a plus!

I personally just went through the Hair loss part of my journey. Mind you I had very thick long hair, I got worried as it came out in huge handful wads at times. I felt like a shedding animal but I can tell you it ends an then it’s growing back already. My hairdresser noticed it was thinner but nobody else has noticed at all. I was worried an watched a few videos an read a lot but in the end I just didn’t distress my hair any further than it was. I did not color it during that time an I didn’t put it up as that seemed to weigh on it an I had worse shedding after a pony or bun. That is just my experience an as I said it’s growing back already

I’m actually going through this Hair loss cycle for the third time in a year and a half. It basically happens anytime your body experiences a traumatic/ hormonal change and in the last 18 months I had a baby, got Covid and then had the sleeve done. Each brought on the hair loss so as an “expert” I’ll tell you that though it’s distressing, for most people it slows and then stops. When you start noticing fuzzies around your hairline you know you’re on the rebound. Good luck!

I am 11 months post surgery, and I haven't had any Hair loss. I take my supplements, but for some reason my Protein has not been absorbed as it should. As a 53 yo woman, my doctor still has me on 110g of protein a day. This could be why I haven't lost any hair.

On the flip side, I have really dry Patches on my scalp that itches terribly. My doctor prescribed me a steroidal Shampoo that helps, but hasn't cleared it up after two months of regular use. Has anyone else experienced this?

I was sleeved 12/14/21 and I have lost 50 lbs. I’m starting to experience Hair loss , I’m noticing In The shower I’m loosing more hair I’ve been using a very good Shampoo since 3 months pre op . I’m hoping it’s a very minimal that I loose. I don’t color or chemically treat my hair also . My hair is very natural. So I’m hopeful this isn’t to bad.

On 3/20/2022 at 1:29 AM, Smanky said:

It sucks. It really does. I'm not quite at the "wear a hat" or scarf stage, but I'm not far off.

It'll come right back ;)

My Hair loss has kept getting worse, and I had to chop all of mine off…as in, half an inch too long for a buzz cut.

I was sleeved in 2019; never experienced the Hair loss.

On 3/20/2022 at 4:04 PM, Lisamass said:

I am 11 months post surgery, and I haven't had any Hair loss. I take my supplements, but for some reason my Protein has not been absorbed as it should. As a 53 yo woman, my doctor still has me on 110g of Protein a day. This could be why I haven't lost any hair.

On the flip side, I have really dry Patches on my scalp that itches terribly. My doctor prescribed me a steroidal Shampoo that helps, but hasn't cleared it up after two months of regular use. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi!! Yes, I spray apple cider vinegar (3 parts cider : 1 part water) on my scalp right before washing - each time. It has made a world of difference. Please try it and let me know if it worked. I think it is the answer for all my scalp issues - hope it is for you, as well!

Edited by LilaNicole20

03/11/2022 08:02 AM, armartin98 said:

Sleeved 12/22 and don't have Hair loss (I'm older as well). Good luck.

We are surgery buddies!! Same here Im 53 Ive had some but I also have thyroid disease so i “shed” a few times a year lol. I take a Vitamin 2 x a day just for hair, skin and nails. Im down 51-52 pounds my Surgeons goal was to loose 70. My goal is 80-100 so im close to his expectations. I find that taking that extra Vitamin as soon as you can tolerate them is a game changer. My sister had bypass 25 years ago she refuses to take any Vitamins. She is nearly bald. I did the sleeve, I took Vitamins before surgery so it isnt a nee habit for me just what I take changed. I have always taken in what I am supposed to for Protein and Water it is a vitamin deficiency because we eat so little food - especially in the beginning which is probably why people see it slow down as they are out more. So get a good hair nail and skin vitamin youll be happy you did!!

On 3/29/2022 at 10:54 PM, pintsizedmallrat said:

My Hair loss has kept getting worse, and I had to chop all of mine off…as in, half an inch too long for a buzz cut.

I'm sporting a new super-short platinum blonde pixie cut, and honestly rocking it. My previous short shaggy cut was doing nothing for me, since the regrowth was a noticeably different length to the longer bits of hair. It looked pretty bad - just a constant "bad hair day". Now that my super short pixie blends in with the regrowth length, the thinned hair isn't obvious.

My hair has definitely stopped falling out now, and is regrowing. I'm 8 months out.

It's great to here that your hair is growing again. Mine is in the middle of the loss cycle. There is so much falling onto my clothes. For the first time in my life I have short hair. I think I like it, my husband is less sure . My scalp is so itchy, does anyone know of any product that will help ? TIA

05/26/2022 07:12 AM, summerseeker said:

It's great to here that your hair is growing again. Mine is in the middle of the loss cycle. There is so much falling onto my clothes. For the first time in my life I have short hair. I think I like it, my husband is less sure . My scalp is so itchy, does anyone know of any product that will help ? TIA

Yes, hi! Mix apple cider vinegar and Water (3:1) in a spray bottle and spray directly to scalp before washing - each time. It has done wonders for my itchy, irritated scalp. Good luck!