Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 Surgery Buddies

Hi everyone! I'm new here with a March 15th surgery date. I'm self-pay with Dr. Shillingford in Boca Raton, FL. It's all happening pretty fast after having spent years and years researching. My insurance specifically excludes all bariatric procedures. I'm super nervous but also super excited to begin the next chapter of my life.

Hi Jessnole,

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Mine is March 8th. I started my two week diet today. I’m excited and nervous as well.

1 hour ago, Toomany#s said:

Mine is March 8th. I started my two week diet today. I’m excited and nervous as well.

Hii Toomany#'s! We are surgery buddies!! My two week diet started today and my surgery is on the 8th as well. My pro-op diet consists of four 8oz Protein Shakes a day, unlimited veggies (there is a list), one dairy a day, one fruit, and 64oz of Water. What does your surgeon have you doing?

I'm excited and nervous, too! I just pray these days fly-by. How are you feeling otherwise?

15 hours ago, Jessnole said:

Hi everyone! I'm new here with a March 15th surgery date. I'm self-pay with Dr. Shillingford in Boca Raton, FL. It's all happening pretty fast after having spent years and years researching. My insurance specifically excludes all bariatric procedures. I'm super nervous but also super excited to begin the next chapter of my life.

Hi Jessnole, Congrats!! I'm a self-pay as well and doing a fast track in Vegas, so my pre-op testing starts two days before my surgery. Hope nothing gets delayed. Are you traveling , or is it local for you?

2 hours ago, LilaNicole20 said:

Hii Toomany#'s! We are surgery buddies!! My two week diet started today and my surgery is on the 8th as well. My pro-op diet consists of four 8oz Protein Shakes a day, unlimited veggies (there is a list), one dairy a day, one fruit, and 64oz of Water. What does your surgeon have you doing?

I'm excited and nervous, too! I just pray these days fly-by. How are you feeling otherwise?

Hi LilaNicole20,

It’s nice to have a surgery buddy. I’m feeling fine, in the middle of tiling a floor. I have 3 Protein Shakes plus one meal per day for this week. Lean meat 3-4 oz, 2 cups non starchy vegetables. Next week is 4 Protein shakes per day. Clear Liquids day before surgery. I pray the days fly by as well.

29 minutes ago, Toomany#s said:

Hi LilaNicole20,

It’s nice to have a surgery buddy. I’m feeling fine, in the middle of tiling a floor. I have 3 Protein Shakes plus one meal per day for this week. Lean meat 3-4 oz, 2 cups non starchy vegetables. Next week is 4 Protein shakes per day. Clear Liquids day before surgery. I pray the days fly by as well.

I just went and got my little surgery book. Looks like I can have 2 pieces of fruit a day and then an 'optional' 1 bread or 1 dairy - the examples of this are 1 slice of bread, 1/2 cup cooked whole grain (I had oatmeal this morning), 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, 8oz milk, OR 1 oz low fat cheese. The little books says I can mix 2 tablespoons sugar free pudding mix to my shakes. So far I'm totally fine. I thought about food when leaving work to run home (forgot my mixer for the shakes) but other than that so far so good. I'm ready to stop feeling powerless. I'm ready to like myself again.

3 hours ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

Hi Jessnole, Congrats!! I'm a self-pay as well and doing a fast track in Vegas, so my pre-op testing starts two days before my surgery. Hope nothing gets delayed. Are you traveling , or is it local for you?

Hi Kelly! It's about 4 hours drive for me. I also looked at a place in Vegas (Blossom?) but I am a TERRIBLE flyer on a good day and have to take lots of meds just to make it without throwing up, so my husband was absolutely not on board with that. 4 hours driving isn't awful. Wish it was local but I had to go with what I could afford/the surgeon who was highly recommended and has done thousands of these.

5 hours ago, Toomany#s said:

Hi Jessnole,

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Mine is March 8th. I started my two week diet today. I’m excited and nervous as well.

How are you feeling? I start mine next Tuesday and I won't lie, I'm nervous. Mine is a "liver shrinking diet" so it looks like a protein-shake heavy Keto diet. Should be OK. I'm more worried about the liquid and puree stages but one baby step at a time I guess!

1 hour ago, Jessnole said:

Hi Kelly! It's about 4 hours drive for me. I also looked at a place in Vegas (Blossom?) but I am a TERRIBLE flyer on a good day and have to take lots of meds just to make it without throwing up, so my husband was absolutely not on board with that. 4 hours driving isn't awful. Wish it was local but I had to go with what I could afford/the surgeon who was highly recommended and has done thousands of these.

That's the place. Blossom Bariatrics.

This surgery can be so expensive, but I'm investing in myself, so I feel it's worth it! I don't mind flying. I was mostly concerned about sitting to long (DVT).

I've been reading a lot lately, can't stop myself. Successes, failures. what they have in common. My head is spinning. Now to research Vitamins. Iron makes my stomach twist. lol I wonder if those vitamin patches work.

I hate having my photo taken as well and I did have my husband take a couple but not the angles that I would like to have now because I didn’t want him to see them. I didn’t think of it but later my aunt said why didn’t you ask the nurse at your doctors if she minded taking a few photos. I thought that was a great idea.
Didn't they take pics of you at your surgeon office? Mine did. I am going to do my own along with my measurements too. My surgery is in April.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X705F using BariatricPal mobile app

13 minutes ago, Kimmy Kaye said:

Didn't they take pics of you at your surgeon office? Mine did. I am going to do my own along with my measurements too. My surgery is in April.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X705F using BariatricPal mobile app

No, mine didn’t take any photos at all.

On 2/18/2022 at 1:22 PM, Kia kaha said:

I guess I would like to be free of this struggle, but does this surgery really free you, it seems as hard as any regular diet?

You really bring up some very real practical thought analysis to this. I think a lot of us have gotten to the point where we are tired of the yoyo dieting once and for all and now want this tool to help aid our efforts as we didn’t have the tool In our other efforts.

You can gain your weight back and then some more if you go back to your eating habits but if you feel that you will go back to your eating habits and you’re not ready to make this lifestyle change I definitely wouldn’t go through with it that doesn’t mean that you won’t be ready for me I am really really tired of being overweight. I’m going to use these next two years after the surgery to push my body get the lifestyle and stick with the lifestyle but that’s what I resolved in my mind everybody has to do that for themselves.
I know you’re seeking the surgery for the same relief. I do hope you get there and The tool provided through surgery will help aid you and your efforts good luck to you! You can always message me you’re probably anybody on here for moral support.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:36 PM, LilaNicole20 said:

Tomorrow I start my 2 week diet and I was having some major anxiety and urges to eat junk in a last ditch effort to qualm my cravings? I'm not sure what to call it. I hadn't been craving the stuff before I got to the weekend - I felt like I just wanted to binge on everything and anything delicious. Anyone else experience something similar?

Definitely me lol so glad I wasn’t going crazy haha. I’ve been doing so good too bud the weekend before I was definitely looking for my favorites. And the thing is I had been doing so good before that I couldn’t even eat it all if was sooo funny but sad at the waste of food & money. That red velvet cake tasted like nothing but pure sugar so gross.

On 2/18/2022 at 1:22 PM, Kia kaha said:

Having doubts! I have my last meeting with the surgeon March 4, then we will set a date for surgery. The thing is I’m still having doubts about whether to go ahead and do this crazy thing to my body, or whether to cancel and stay on the diet roundabout for ever! Is this normal? Should I be 100% sure or not go ahead at all? I flick flack between being sure I should go ahead, and being sure I shouldn’t. I’m worried about having a long recovery, I had an awful year last year with two seperate accidents (horses!) where I broke 4 ribs then broke my back (wedge fracture L1, not wheelchair territory fortunately but dam painful). To be deliberately putting myself through more pain and another recovery feels difficult. But I know once the weight starts coming off I will feel good! I’m also worried that I will put myself through this and then just gain the weight back after a couple of years, this has been the pattern before and somehow I can’t see it being different again. I have fought hard with my weight since I was a child, I’m now 57. I guess I would like to be free of this struggle, but does this surgery really free you, it seems as hard as any regular diet?

One of the things that convinced me to book the surgery was looking into why surgery is more successful than other diets/exercise programs in keeping weight off. I don’t completely understand how or why, but the surgery tends to reset your weight set point. And that’s why it’s important to maximize your weight loss after surgery, before your weight set point resets itself