Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When/How to buy new clothes



Recommended Posts

I've lost almost 40 lbs and I am not looking forward to sizing out of clothes. I don't have any clothes from my previous weight losses and so far my clothes are a bit loose but since I had recently gained 25 lbs during COVID, they aren't too bad, except for some I bought at my heaviest, and those are just long sleeve t-shirts, so it doesn't matter. I have noticed that my pants start to fall down when I exercise, so I might be getting close on that score...

For environmental/human rights reasons I don't want to buy a lot of cheap clothes and the thrift shops near me are pretty gross. Also, for some reason they are arranged by color rather than size so it's impossible to find anything. I'm wondering how long I can put off buying clothes that fit, since I usually work from home except when I travel, about once a month.

Has anyone done Thread Up? I did Gwynnie Bee (plus size clothing rental) when I lost weight the last time, but it doesn't really work with my current lifestyle of working from home and traveling once a month for a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never heard of it but would love to hear more about it. I have been wearing solid color tee shirts and jeans as my entire wardrobe for years and would like to add some variety now that I am nearing “normal” sizes but honestly don’t know what to buy to flatter my figure at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread Up is an online thrift store, but my guess is that if you don't know what looks good on you, it would be better to try things on at a store first before buying something "unusual".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve found that consignment stores often have better quality and selection than thrift stores do. We actually have one in Seattle that specializes in plus sizes, 14 and up. They only accept mid to higher range brands, and they’re really picky with what they take. I bought quite a bit there as I was losing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you still love your current wardrobe perhaps a solution is investing in tailoring or learn to alter them yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GreenTealael said:

If you still love your current wardrobe perhaps a solution is investing in tailoring or learn to alter them yourself.

I have a few shirts that I might get altered, but almost everything I own is a knit because I used to travel every week, so it's not stuff that can be altered easily. On the plus side, knits tend to look okay when they're a bit baggy. I know enough about fabric to know what does/doesn't alter well, even though I'm not the best at sewing. That is a good suggestion though, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest getting a couple belts and then when you're choosing new things, get things that either have a belt or an elastic waist that can be cinched in. Otherwise a dress with smocking on the top can stretch a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to shop. Losing weight has not changed that. I put off buying anything new at all until I absolutely had to.

I found I could get away with using a belt (another thing I dislike) and pulling my pants up "Urkel Style." As long a my top was longer, it hid alot.

But I am past that point now. I had to buy some new pants/jeans and some pants for the summer. I chose to order from places which permitted in store returns. I had no idea what size I needed to order so I would order 2 or 3 different styles/sizes knowing I wasn't going to keep them all. That was usually enough to qualify for free shipping and then I could return in person. At this point, I won't order anything that is not on clearance.

I had to break down and order new bras. The "girls" have packed up and left, what remains has migrated south 😪. Again, I chose from clearance.

Fortunately, my mother still has her sewing machine. She was willing to take in most of my cheap (Roamans, Woman Within) knit tops. Perhaps, lizaonaplace, you could consider that. All she did was run new seams up the sides and cut of the extra if needed. Everything is still big in the shoulders, but at least the tops no longer look like dresses (In addition to being big myself, due to where I work, I wore clothes that were baggy.

I have a lot to get rid of. I don't live in a major shopping area so consignment or thrift is not an easy option. I'm also scared to---you know, the what if's. If I hadn't purged all my clothes that had become too small over time, I'd have something to wear now. Selling them online seems more work that it's worth. For now, I'm hanging on to them until I find someplace to donate. Ideally, I'd like to find some place that would provide the clothes to a plus-size woman who is truly in need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that investing in leggings and just wearing them regularly is a good solution to a shrinking midsection. Because they're elastic, you can wear them for a long time. I have lost 50 pounds since preop and I am still wearing the same leggings I was wearing before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 06/09/2021 at 12:42, newyorklady20 said:



I have found that investing in leggings and just wearing them regularly is a good solution to a shrinking midsection. Because they're elastic, you can wear them for a long time. I have lost 50 pounds since preop and I am still wearing the same leggings I was wearing before.


I wear leggings and knits! There’s no way around buying new clothes. I buy then donate to Dress for Success as they always need clothing of all sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy then donate to Dress for Success as they always need clothing of all sizes.--I just googled Dress for Success. Unfortunately, the nearest chapter is nearly 90 miles away. But that is the type of organization I hope to find.

Leggings may be a good option for some. Unfortunately, I am not permitted to wear leggings to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, these are all great suggestions but I don't feel comfortable in dresses or leggings or belts. I guess I can just buy one or two pairs of pants and do the laundry more frequently. It doesn't matter if my shirts are too big unless I'm on the road for work and I can worry about that in a few months. Donating clothes isn't really a great fix as most donated casual clothes end up in the trash, and that's what I wear. Dressed for Success is really for business wear, and I don't wear suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

Yeah, these are all great suggestions but I don't feel comfortable in dresses or leggings or belts. I guess I can just buy one or two pairs of pants and do the laundry more frequently. It doesn't matter if my shirts are too big unless I'm on the road for work and I can worry about that in a few months. Donating clothes isn't really a great fix as most donated casual clothes end up in the trash, and that's what I wear. Dressed for Success is really for business wear, and I don't wear suits.

Maybe ask your doctor if they have a clothing exchange. Mine doesn’t but I have read on here that some of the bigger practices do have them for patients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - Congratulations on your journey so far! You could also maybe try garage sales or estate sales? There are a lot of those this time of year where I live. Also, I’ve heard positive things about poshmark but have never used them myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Maisey said:

I hate to shop. Losing weight has not changed that. I put off buying anything new at all until I absolutely had to.

I found I could get away with using a belt (another thing I dislike) and pulling my pants up "Urkel Style." As long a my top was longer, it hid alot.

But I am past that point now. I had to buy some new pants/jeans and some pants for the summer. I chose to order from places which permitted in store returns. I had no idea what size I needed to order so I would order 2 or 3 different styles/sizes knowing I wasn't going to keep them all. That was usually enough to qualify for free shipping and then I could return in person. At this point, I won't order anything that is not on clearance.

I had to break down and order new bras. The "girls" have packed up and left, what remains has migrated south 😪. Again, I chose from clearance.

Fortunately, my mother still has her sewing machine. She was willing to take in most of my cheap (Roamans, Woman Within) knit tops. Perhaps, lizaonaplace, you could consider that. All she did was run new seams up the sides and cut of the extra if needed. Everything is still big in the shoulders, but at least the tops no longer look like dresses (In addition to being big myself, due to where I work, I wore clothes that were baggy.

I have a lot to get rid of. I don't live in a major shopping area so consignment or thrift is not an easy option. I'm also scared to---you know, the what if's. If I hadn't purged all my clothes that had become too small over time, I'd have something to wear now. Selling them online seems more work that it's worth. For now, I'm hanging on to them until I find someplace to donate. Ideally, I'd like to find some place that would provide the clothes to a plus-size woman who is truly in need.

I have started to take my clothes that are too big to my local women's shelter. And will start to buy at consignment. All about recycling! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • NickelChip

      I'm checked into the hotel near the hospital and just had my last protein shake of the day. My mom has kindly gone down to the restaurant alone so as not to make me die from watching her eat dinner. Checking in at the hospital tomorrow at 10:50am. So ready!
      · 1 reply
      1. BeanitoDiego

        Pulling for ya!

    • Clueless_girl

      6 wks post surgery, had to go back to the hospital to replenish potassium levels. STILL struggling with abdominal pain and nausea. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

      Six months pots-op as of yesterday. I celebrated with a HIIT class where I was challenged to do a wall-assisted handstand. I truly thought there's no way in hell that I can get up there. Well... I proved myself wrong. The instructor said, "Just try getting one foot up there." I tried and it was so easy, that the other foot went up, and the next thing that I knew, I was standing on my hands with my legs up in the air, leaning against the wall.
      Last weekend I challenged myself to a 10-mile hike, and I was SURE that my legs would be non-functional that night and the next day. But that didn't happen at all.  But I did learn that I need a new hiking boot or shoe. I've got a goal of walking the Portuguese coastal route of the El Camino later this year, and I good shoes will be essential.
      I've hit another weight loss stall, but that's to be expected. I am so close to my goal already that if it does take 6 more months to get that last stone off, that's okay with me. And I am building muscle, so that stone may never move. S'alright friends, s'alright.
      · 1 reply
      1. Bypass2Freedom

        Congratulations! I bet that felt awesome to achieve! 😄

    • South Coast Deli

      South Coast Deli brings a superhero flair to fast, casual dining with three locations across Santa Barbara. Dive into a diverse menu featuring breakfast sandwiches, bagels, hearty salads, and a variety of sandwiches, including vegan and vegetarian options. Whether you're craving a classic deli experience or a warm panini, this deli satisfies with quick service and a playful atmosphere. Perfect for on-the-go meals or a leisurely bite, South Coast Deli is your go-to for fresh, delicious fare with a comic book twist.
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Annievincent

      Can I have cream of chicken soup on pre operation  liquid diet
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×