Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@motherofboys Sorry to hear that! It might be a good idea to find a Protein Shake with the closest nutritional content to the one your program insists on but with better taste -- and have that as a back up? I have heard advice from others that it is a good idea to get 1 of each brand and do a protein-tasting session! I plan to do that soon.

It sounds like you are getting well prepared, though! 💪 Keep us updated :)

On 05/30/2021 at 02:51, Seija said:

I have my VSG booked for 27th July -- impatiently counting down the days 📆🤩 Meanwhile I am doing all the research I can on how to best prepare myself mentally for this huge change.

What is everyone else up to in these exciting weeks before? @MoreThanWords @Steveo2ray @CzarinaQ @motherofboys @LizzLosingIt @Sammys_VSG_Evolution @laurenantics @Karriekuddles

My surgeon requires me to be in the pre op diet for 4 weeks so I am taking this week to enjoy a couple of my favorites.

I was curious to know when I will be able to eat “normal” foods again once I start the diet so calculated the days and that won’t be until September 3. Right now my mind is like wow that is a long time, but I know time will fly especially as I get closer to surgery.

I think it's so interesting that most of our concerns and prep revolve around What will I eat? and When will I be able to eat normal stuff again? as our primary concern 😅 That is definitely the first place my mind went when I was learning about the process, too. I think it is so telling of the fact that we are indeed food addicts and food takes up so much space in our life.

I have been preparing by taste-testing Protein Drinks (hate em all so far 🙈), organising my schedule to avoid any big commitments right after surgery, and doing all the research I can by reading, finding IG accounts to follow, watching YouTube videos, etc. I am trying to learn from other people's experiences as much as possible for tips, tricks, how to do the right things and how to avoid the pitfalls.

I have also been looking into doing some kind of workbook or something for developing new coping strategies since food won't be there for me anymore. Struggling to find anything for bariatric patients specifically, just general ones on anxiety, depression, etc... But will let you all know if I do find something useful!

On 5/31/2021 at 2:13 AM, Seija said:

@motherofboys Sorry to hear that! It might be a good idea to find a Protein Shake with the closest nutritional content to the one your program insists on but with better taste -- and have that as a back up? I have heard advice from others that it is a good idea to get 1 of each brand and do a protein-tasting session! I plan to do that soon.

Just don’t stock up too much pre surgery because a lot of our tastes change post surgery, especiallY with sweet things.

Finally received my surgery date: July 27, 2021 Looking forward to it!

On 6/1/2021 at 4:19 PM, ShoppGirl said:

Just don’t stock up too much pre surgery because a lot of our tastes change post surgery, especiallY with sweet things.

Yeah I’ve thought about that. I actually messaged my Dietitian a couple of days ago and she asked me to send the details of different powders . She has said which ones I can have etc but also said once I move through stages making my own food is better.

issue for me is - delivery from overseas and things exported in are overly priced 🙉🙈🙊 like one box of powders is almost $55

I am going to get sample sizes ready xx

On 5/31/2021 at 9:00 AM, LizzLosingIt said:

I’m on my last week of birth control since I have to get off of it for one month prior and one month after... not starting a new pack even though the days don’t align perfectly.
mom only required to do a two-week diet, so I’m using these weeks prior to that time to have my “final meals” with stuff I’ve already purchased so it won’t go to waste. Enjoying my last bits of fruit juices, ice creams, rice (which is HUGE in my culture). Stopped buying snack foods since I won’t finish them all. Stopped buying new clothes back in April when I started the process. I’m nervous for July 4th weekend since my surgery is on the 9th. I want to be able to enjoy myself and food just feels like such a big factor in doing so. My family and friends are extremely supportive and said they’d help find foods I can still enjoy that fit my low fat diet but still sort of nervous of inconveniencing people.

Im pretty good when it comes to snack foods and with my boys at school and Distance learning I have healthy Snacks for them to have(school pretty strict on unhealthy foods being sent)

On 5/31/2021 at 10:13 AM, Seija said:

Spoke to my dietitian - she has said which ones to avoid and why and that they all seem to be similar etc so should be okay. As everything will be exported and with a recent announcement of buying local Ive got to either buy through Amazon or use a company registered within the country.

I’m using the month of June to eat some of my favorite foods, since I’m not sure when I’ll be able to eat them again (if ever)! I have been told I don’t need to do a pre-op diet, as my BMI was, at last check, 32.4. But I’m already stressing over the post-op liquid & puréed food diets. I find myself watching hours of YouTube videos trying to pick up tips and pointers to get through those stages. And I’m *dreading* having to give up diet sodas. I just keep telling myself that it will ALL be worth it in the end! 🙌

My psych and dietician are on the 15th of June, so I'm mentally preparing for that. My surgeon said I will be on minimum 3 weeks of the pre surgery diet. So I'm keeping an eye out for sales of the shakes.< br>I also have to have a blood test sometime this month to double check all my levels as my Iron was a little low so they wanted to make sure I didn't have to have an infusion of that first.
Trying to not psych myself out too much but I also love information so I've been reading and watching so much stuff about pre and post op as it gets closer and closer.

Sent from my SM-G986B using BariatricPal mobile app

My date is July 6th! Thought it was June 21st but learned that’s my pre-op appointment date. I’m so ready to get this done :)

6 hours ago, Sammys_VSG_Evolution said:

My psych and dietician are on the 15th of June, so I'm mentally preparing for that. My surgeon said I will be on minimum 3 weeks of the pre surgery diet. So I'm keeping an eye out for sales of the shakes.< br>I also have to have a blood test sometime this month to double check all my levels as my Iron was a little low so they wanted to make sure I didn't have to have an infusion of that first.
Trying to not psych myself out too much but I also love information so I've been reading and watching so much stuff about pre and post op as it gets closer and closer.

Sent from my SM-G986B using BariatricPal mobile app

Not sure if you have a membership but SAMs club sometimes has really good sales on shakes (in guessing costco would be same). I don’t suggest stocking up too much for post surgery though because many of our tastes change a bit especially for sweet stuff.