Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you weigh yourself?

Just curious...I know this has probably been asked many times before but I'm curious to see what others are doing. I weigh once a day, same time(-ish), but 1/2 pound fluctuations are kinda making me a little neurotic so I'm wondering if I should weigh less often...

I'd only weigh daily if you can put up with the fluctuations. On the other hand, I wouldn't weigh less than once a week.

I personally have been weighing pretty much every day for a few years, but I'm trying to cut back to a couple of times a week.

I was too large to fit on a home scale so I could only weigh monthly at my follow-up appointments.

Once I could weigh at home I weighed several times, just for the novelty of it. I have moderately severe OCD so I could see myself living on the scale so I decided just to go with the monthly weigh ins. I never experienced any stalls, or those pounds that just would not come off.

Now I just weigh annually at my annual physical.

I've learned over the years of dieting to stay off the scale but for once a week. For instance, I started Keto again while I wait to get all my pre surgery stuff done and last weekend I decided to have a cheat meal of Chinese food. First cheat in a month. So the day after the meal I weighed an extra 7 lbs!! Now of course this was not true weight/fat weight because I obviously did not eat that much food to gain all those pounds. LOL It was Water retention. BUT, it took me ALL week (as eating no-no foods usually does for me) before it went away and I went back down to what I weighed before that cheat meal. So yeah, you definitely can fluctuate BIG TIME depending on many factors. If you're ok with that then have at it. Otherwise I'd just do it once a week, same time of day, same clothes or naked if possible, after your bathroom business, etc.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

I weighed every day when I was still losing weight (but the little fluctuations didn't bother me as long as the trend was downward). Now that I'm in maintenance I weigh a couple times a week.

Every 2-3 months.

25 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

I was too large to fit on a home scale so I could only weigh monthly at my follow-up appointments.

Once I could weigh at home I weighed several times, just for the novelty of it. I have moderately severe OCD so I could see myself living on the scale so I decided just to go with the monthly weigh ins. I never experienced any stalls, or those pounds that just would not come off.

Now I just weigh annually at my annual physical.

Wow! This would scare me, LOL. I could go as long as once a month but I need to keep myself accountable more often than once a year!

17 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

Wow! This would scare me, LOL. I could go as long as once a month but I need to keep myself accountable more often than once a year!

I didn't rearrange my innards to live on a diet. I learned a new, sustainable way of eating with the positive reinforcement of losing weight. My plan long ago became my normal.

As my Doc did, I measure success by my health and happiness.

I will not live under the whip of a number on a scale.

1 minute ago, The Greater Fool said:

I didn't rearrange my innards to live on a diet. I learned a new, sustainable way of eating with the positive reinforcement of losing weight. My plan long ago became my normal.

As my Doc did, I measure success by my health and happiness.

I will not live under the whip of a number on a scale.

I respect that approach. It's just that my personal history tells me I'm capable of getting off track really quickly and still feeling great (until I've put on 30 pounds). I don't feel like I'm living under a whip but I am staying alert - I don't want this journey to end with me regaining all the weight and then some. I'm happy for you though that you don't have those issues, that's awesome!

28 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

I respect that approach. It's just that my personal history tells me I'm capable of getting off track really quickly and still feeling great (until I've put on 30 pounds). I don't feel like I'm living under a whip but I am staying alert - I don't want this journey to end with me regaining all the weight and then some. I'm happy for you though that you don't have those issues, that's awesome!

It's almost as if people are different, go figure. ;)

Different perspectives. Different motivations. Different concerns. Different measurements. Different goals. Different journeys.

If it works and we're happy then don't mess with success.

11 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

Different perspectives. Different motivations. Different concerns. Different measurements. Different goals. Different journeys.

Okay... you are where I want to be when I grow up! I'm 23 days post op so I've got a few weeks before I move into "regular" foods on my plan, but I've been thinking about what my eating life looks like afterwards. I want it to be my lifestyle and not a constant diet. So any tips?? Everything in moderation?

Edited by njlimmer

I’m all about routines. On my work days I weigh naked 1st thing after I pee. Days off I weigh after my morning workout.

17 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

Agreed, that's why I said I respect your approach. I actually respect the heck out of it, specifically because I can't do it, LOL. In your post-op life, "weight" is truly not a "thing" for you and that's awesome.

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Once a week. Monday morning, stark naked, after i've peed. LOL

Same!!!! 😂