Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you sure it wouldn't work?

Does anyone remember what that urine injection diet was called? and I think it was in the early 70's, not the 80's. I was trying to remember what it was called to put on my references for the Doctor. I did it too, and lost really well on it. Then I did Medifast and did really well, but nothing recently has worked, in fact I'm working now on trying to raise my calories, cuz I haven't been eating enough and CANT loose anything (pre-band) so trying to get my metabolism working properly for the band to be effective.

I had the urine injections in 1982 because I was going to be bridesmaid for my sister that year. I'm sure they started before that but that was my experience with them. Crazy things we do in the hope of losing that excess weight.

No, not a cop out. That's just a bunch of hooey. I don't know about you but I failed at every other stupid diet, I didn't expect this one to be any different. I'm thrilled for you that you didn't feel the same but just because you don't have the same issue as others does not mean it is not quite real for them.

I told people previously that I was on a diet and to kick my butt if I was screwing up. It didn't help then, it just made it worse. To spend $8K and have it happen all over again, no. I did not trust the band nor myself to make this one work.

I think your post is unfair to those that don't share the same opinions. I'm not making excuses for not losing weight, I'm at goal so I did lose it. But just because it isn't something YOU personally feel does NOT mean it is a cop out. I think that is a wrong impression to give to newbies. If they don't tell the whole bloody world they are somehow trying to find a reason to fail. That's simply not true.

Thank you WASA, this is exactly how I feel but I don't think I could have expressed it quite this well!

I don't want to fail, but who's to know if this will ultimately work? So far it has exceeded my expectations. I have PCOS too. I'm not using that as an excuse or a cop out either - but it's a medical fact of life that I have it and it's damn hard to lose weight. So far so good. But will I get to 170 or 150 or 130 pounds? Who knows what my body will allow. I'm doing my best and that's all I can do.

Thank you WASA, this is exactly how I feel but I don't think I could have expressed it quite this well!

I don't want to fail, but who's to know if this will ultimately work? So far it has exceeded my expectations. I have PCOS too. I'm not using that as an excuse or a cop out either - but it's a medical fact of life that I have it and it's damn hard to lose weight. So far so good. But will I get to 170 or 150 or 130 pounds? Who knows what my body will allow. I'm doing my best and that's all I can do.

I usually agree with K a majority of the time. Actually, it is rare that I disagree with her. But this time we just couldn't possibly disagree more.

I will not stand by and allow newbies to think that if they don't tell the whole bloody world they are banded that this is somehow a cop out. It is NOT. It is a personal decision and one that needs to be made individually.

I've been saying it since the day I was banded, if you tell someone about being banded you can never take it back. If you do not tell them you can always do so later. Newbies should never forget that.

Being banded and telling others, it is no different from sharing your favorite sexual positions. Quite frankly, some people just don't care and they'd rather not know. Other times they don't understand how the band works (thinking of bandster hell now) and they make our lives miserable. Sometimes they are quite supportive and attempt to educate themselves how this works. But that isn't the majority.

We are NOT dieting, we are adopting a lifestyle change. We don't need to be perfect all the time. Skinny people are not typically perfect all the time. They were born understanding and comprehending moderation. For whatever reason we were not. So we learn and we continue. No biggie.

I went into this knowing that it will work at least for some of the weight loss that I would need but not sure I will loose it all. And a little terrified I would have complications and then the band would have to come out and then I'd gain it all back. With all my past failures at dieting, I had given up and haven't dieted in years. Who wants to do all that work to see the pds come marching back with their friends in tow?

As far as telling people, I would rather have not told anyone at all. But we are not an island and it is impossible to keep it a secret from everyone. So my husband and children know as well as my brother and SIL- all sworn to secrecy! I am a private person in many ways. WLS is drastic to me. It may not be to many here, so please don't be offended, but for me it is. I guess it is a matter of that darn pride. I just didn't want people to know how desperate I was, that I would resort to such a drastic measure. The thought of people knowing and gossiping and talking about it- horrifies me. But that is me.

Wasa congratulations for getting to goal- how much did you loose?

I told the people with whom I would normally share such information -- that is, my family and closest friends -- and I haven't told people for whom it is none of their business. However, it never occurred to me to tell people to somehow keep me accountable! I just don't operate that way. I don't make decisions about my life based on what other people think or know about me and I wouldn't find it motivating. If some do, then that's exactly what they should do!

As members of a support board, we share our own experiences, both mistakes and successes, and that sometimes helps others make decisions. But there's a difference between sharing one's own experience and judging others for making a different decision.

Okay guys...no harm, no foul...I DO understand where you are coming from on that. We can agree to disagree. Everyone's got their own perception. I certainly don't mean to cast any shadow on newbie thinking...so those of you out there who are reading this, understand that we all have our differing viewpoints and nothing is set in stone. I am only one lone voice in the night with this viewpoint so I don't mean to try to sway anyone. Peace!