Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My experience, glad the journey is ending

Hello All,

This is a rant about my experience and feelings. I got banded on August 4nd 2007 (4 months ago). In researching the surgery, I thought it to be the perfect solution. I understood the complications, but as a young, healthy person, I thought I was safe from them (WRONG).

Prior to being banded, I was 215lbs. I was a runner and a salad lover. I was also a "out of control portion" eater. I decided to get the band so I could loose weight in order to get pregnant.

After the surgery:

First couple of weeks I struggled severely, I had no restriction and kept on asking myself; "if I have to work this hard to be on post op diet... etc, then why did I get banded??" (WHY INDEED). I got my first fill and still no restriction. I still managed to loose 15 lbs. Got my second fill, it was too tight. I started experiencing really bad acid reflux (by the way, I NEVER knew what heartburn was prior to getting banded).

After my first unfill, I expressed my concerns to my doctor; I told him that I did not feel "right" something was off. But of course, according to my surgeon, it was all in my head, so I was sent on my merry way. A week later, I called my surgeon, again, with symptoms of an overfill. I went in and got the band completely deflated. A week later, same symptoms. WTF???

OH, my band had slipped. I guess that it was not all in my head after all.

I received a call from my surgeon yesterday telling me that I had other WLS "options" (I am now 170 lbs, for my height, I am not even considered obese anymore, overweight yes, but not obese). OK, no WAY!!! after all the pain that I have been through, and after dismissing me the way he did, would I consider revision or any other WLS. I told him I wanted it removed. SOOOOOOO.... I am going in on Monday to get it taken out.

I have to say that I have learned a lot from my time being banded. Mainly, chewing my food and eating slowly. I hope that I can continue these good habits. I am in a lot of pain at the moment; I have not eaten in 3 days and am only able to keep Water down if I sip very very slowly. I am looking forward to regaining my energy. My husband and I will be signing up for the Rock and Roll marathon in June! I am most looking forward to dusting off my running shoes (or dusting?? :-)). I just miss the high I used to get from running and I miss my old energy level that I never regained after getting banded... Oh, AND I can’t WAIT to eat a leafy green salad and sink my teeth into a crunchy apple. Mmmmmmmm

Anywhoo, I think that I will go study now, OH; did I mention that I am a graduate student one week away from finals? Well I am... So I am hoping for a quick recovery.

If you have made it this far reading my rant I congratulate you. Here is a bonus question: How long is the recovery period after band removal?

Good luck to you all!

Hala

Hi Hala,

I'm sorry you had trouble with your band. Is your surgeon taking it out for "free"? Or is your insurance paying for it? (You lucky dog!):confused:

Just curious!

Thanks and best wishes on Monday...I'll be thinking of you! Good luck with your finals as well....

Toni

Thank you for your kind words...

No it will not be for free, but they will be running it through my insurance even though I was a self pay. They said that because this was a complication that occured 90 days after surgery, the insurance co should cover it. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Hi there Toni,

Are you having problems of your own? please DO share :-)

I am getting super nervous about tomorrow, I have been reding all these posts about post de banding issues like scar tissue and esophoges damage...

EEESSHHHHH

I hope that my recovery is fast...

Hala

How was your surgery? Please chime in and give a report when you are feeling well enough....you've been in my thoughts today!:(

Thanks,

Toni

Hi Toni,

I am doing really well. What ended up happening was that I devloped Scar tissue around my liver that was pushing against my band. Therefore, instead of my band and stomach moving together, my somatch was able to move but my band was not, hence the slip.... SO GLAD THAT THING IS OUT OF ME. My acid reflux is gone completely. YEY!!!! and my puncture wounds hurt SO MUCH LESS this time around. In fact, the most painfull thing is my shoulder and chest pain from the gas. I think that I should be able be at work by tomorrow :-). The best part is that the insurance co. will cover the removal :-)

Going to rest now :-)

Take care!

Hala

Take care

Hala,

I'm so glad to hear everything went well...and that your insurance will cover the cost of your removal! Hooray! I just KNEW you'd be A-OK, and hope that the rest of your journey will be a successful one. That's kinda scary about the scar tissue with your liver, but I'm sure it's OK, too. Take the Best of Care!!!! :eek:

Cheers,

Toni

Thank you for your kind words...

No it will not be for free, but they will be running it through my insurance even though I was a self pay. They said that because this was a complication that occured 90 days after surgery, the insurance co should cover it. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Most medical plans that don't cover obesity treatment don't cover any complications following obesity treatment. I'm surprised that the doctor's office told you that it should be covered. Maybe they know something about your plan that isn't typical to other medical plans. I wish you luck on getting coverage through your health plan, but don't be too surprised if it's not covered. And if you need to know for sure before you decide for sure you're having this done, I'd certainly suggest calling your health plans Customer Service to find out.

I am trying to stay positive and do not appreciate your post. First of all, I DID call my insurance company and while there is a slight chance that they may not pay, they advised me that they do not have restrictions on WLS. Second, if you read my post carefully, I already had my band removed, this was not an elective surgery, it was needed since my body was rejecting the band AND it the band was causing an obstrucion.

In any event, I hope that the insurance company will cover this and if It does not I do plan to fight it in court since their literature states otherwise. In the meantime I will try to keep a POSITIVE attitude as not to place unneeded stress on myself. Until the insurance company denies payment, I refuse to stress about the issue OR be negative.

Thank you for your concern.

My mistake... somewhere I managed to think you were self pay for the original surgery-I just reread your original post and am not sure where I got that idea. But if your insurance company covered the original surgery then you're right-they should cover complications if you're on the same plan.

I do think it's important for people to realize that if they are actually self pay and they have complications then their health plan will most likely not cover treatment of complications related to the original WLS.

But I do apologize for adding any unnecessary stress to you!

I'm glad you're feeling better!

I am trying to stay positive and do not appreciate your post. ...

Wow... I don't think 010308 meant that the way you took it. When I read it I thought it was just a "heads up" so you wouldn't be in for a huge shock in case your insurance did not cover this.

Hala, I am so sorry you had this problem, and I'm sorry the band didn't work for you, it totally sucks!

I am not trying to be mean here, but did your surgeon address the fact you ate solids before week two in the post-op period as a possible reason for your slip?

A link to your thread:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/i-want-cry-39917/

I ask because though it stinks and it's awful you have had to go through all of this, perhaps someone else who is not following their post-op diet plan will see that there is a reason for following one.

Also, I was wondering did you get your first fill before four weeks post-op? Again, just trying to possibly relate things like early fills and eatings solids to slippage.

Did your surgeon say why he though there were adhesions on your liver? I'm kind of fascinated as to why there would be some. Wondering about his suture technique or if the band rubbed back and forth, thinking about where he placed the "buckle" and things like that.

Glad to also hear that your insurance will likely be paying for the removal. I also do not think 010308 was trying to be mean, I agree that it was probably meant more as a "heads up." But I understand that in the post-op period emotions are out of control from the anesthesia and sometimes we take things differently than we would at another time. I know I do.

Please keep us updated about how you are doing, will you?

To clarify what I mean about the adhesions/scar tissue on your liver:

I wonder if your band moving around alot early on may have caused the scar tissue to form, and then that held your band in place against the liver, not the stomach. I understand what you are saying about the slip being from the band not moving with the stomach, but I'm asking myself why that would happen.

It's not a complication you hear a lot about and so I am sort of fascinated by why it would take place. Maybe DrWatkins has heard about more than we have.

Did your surgeon say why he though there were adhesions on your liver? I'm kind of fascinated as to why there would be some. Wondering about his suture technique or if the band rubbed back and forth, thinking about where he placed the "buckle" and things like that.

Faith...

The Inamed band is different from the J&J and. With Inamed there is no buckle in the sense that nothing sticks out.

The J&J band does have some issues with the buckle looking thing. There is a flap that sticks out. My friend was banded a couple of weeks ago and at my friend's request and the doc's okay, I was permitted to stay in OR with him. That's where I saw the differences in the two bands. Inamed is more rounded around the stomach where J&J has a flap sticking out. I asked Dr. A if that could cause a problem and he said potentially yes, but all he can do is to sew it so it doesn't budge.

The port placement is bizarre, very bizarre. I wasn't impressed. Since J&J wanted to tweak the band a bit I could have given a few suggestions and the port placement would have been #1 on my list. But that was the only way to place a J&J band.