Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got approval and now I'm overwhelmed!

Hello all,

I was approved for WLS on the first go. Yay!

While I'm quite excited, the reality of how much information I need to remember is overwhelming.

I have a book full of information from the surgeon's office, but I'm seeing different info from various sources.

My information also focuses more on portion and types of food than calories-not quite sure how many calories I should eat, and when, and at what phase.

I'm also not sure how long I should wait to exercise, etc. (I'm seeing some evidence that heavy workouts shouldn't be done right away because the body doesn't have enough calories?)

Any advice/info/resources that worked for you guys would be appreciated!

Thank you all.

they'll have you focus on Protein and fluids the first few months, as those are the most important things - without adequate amounts of both, you could get sick. You're probably not going to be able to get in enough calories to worry about for the first few months, so that's why they're not having you count them. My dietitian didn't want me counting calories AT ALL, as in EVER, but I did start counting them when I got to maybe 10 or 12 months out since I could eat a lot more by then, and counting calories works for me (I know it doesn't work for everyone).

but just so you know, the first few weeks you'll be taking in very few calories. After those early weeks are past, a lot of us eat in the 600-800 range for a few months. I don't think I went over 1000 consistently until I was close to a year out.

@Keatsy I was approved yesterday, still waiting to get the call from the Drs. Office to schedule the surgery and the 2 week pre-op appointment.
I would imagine the surgeon or the nurse case manager would give that information to you? I will also meet again with the nutritionist I am sure she will be the guidance for calories, and liquid, soft foods, etc... As far as the exercise you will be given guidance on that too. If not please take a list of questions to ease your mind. I do that all the time. 😂

I hope to find out soon. I will most certainly take the first available appointment 😁

Good luck with your surgery!

6 hours ago, Keatsy said:

Hello all,

While I'm quite excited, the reality of how much information I need to remember is overwhelming.

I have a book full of information from the surgeon's office, but I'm seeing different info from various sources.

My information also focuses more on portion and types of food than calories-not quite sure how many calories I should eat, and when, and at what phase.

I'm also not sure how long I should wait to exercise, etc. (I'm seeing some evidence that heavy workouts shouldn't be done right away because the body doesn't have enough calories?)

Thank you all.

Find a decent dietitian to help you

7 hours ago, Keatsy said:

Hello all,

Thank you all.

Keatsy, I SO remember feeling overwhelmed by ALL of the initial information thrown at me🤦‍♀️! Knowing that I SO wanted to do this right, how would I BEST manage with the least amount of frustration???

I took a deep breath, said okay, let’s break this down into chunks- got a large looseleaf binder and arranged it by tabs. My surgeon had his tab, testing had a tab, my nutritionist had her tab, my outside research/articles had their tab, food info had its tab, exercise tab, etc. It allowed me to feel “organized” without shuffling through the plethora of what was sure to become loose dog eared papers...it was all right there where it should be=instant calming for an OCD-er.

Next, I told myself it was important to take a 30,000 ft. overview and read all of it, in order to fully understand what was expected and ahead of me, but then lazer focus only on what was immediately required of me, master it and DO THAT WELL.

Once I felt centered and focussed on the immediate, I would glance and keep an eye on the next phase coming up so I would be able to transition easily. It has really worked like a charm.

Lastly, I would suggest follow the instructions and guidelines from your surgeon before and despite anything to the contrary. If your research yields an alternative that sounds better for you, run it by him/her.

It’s a positive sign, this being overwhelmed by all of the information...an indicator that you’re Serious About Succeeding....and YOU WILL💖!