Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I had VSG on 06/22. Surgery went great, not much pain was up and walking as soon as I woke up and throughout the night. I stayed 1 night in the hospital. I am day 4 post op and I just keep hearing my stomach grumbling and the feeling of “hunger”. Everything is so new so I don’t really know if I’m actually hungry or not. I’m on full liquids so I just take a few sips of a Protein Drink and that’s that. Is anyone else feeling hungry? I’m nervous I’m not doing something right since we hear so much before surgery that we won’t feel hungry after, idk.

Hello! I had VSG on June 11. It was outpatient surgery and it went very well. Since beginning pre-op diet on June 1 I am down 25 lbs. I am NEVER hungry. But always thirsty. Struggling to get enough Protein in daily. Tired and need a nap most days. It’s an adjustment. But I’m doing well. Definitely miss carbonated drinks. But doing well with giving them up.

3 weeks 21 pounds, No real cravings yet, Even though I had to sit there and watch my son eat a half a loaf of garlic bread a couple days ago. One of my favorites.:371_bread:

12 hours ago, smile-everyday said:

Hi! I had VSG on 06/22. Surgery went great, not much pain was up and walking as soon as I woke up and throughout the night. I stayed 1 night in the hospital. I am day 4 post op and I just keep hearing my stomach grumbling and the feeling of “hunger”. Everything is so new so I don’t really know if I’m actually hungry or not. I’m on full liquids so I just take a few sips of a Protein Drink and that’s that. Is anyone else feeling hungry? I’m nervous I’m not doing something right since we hear so much before surgery that we won’t feel hungry after, idk.

I wish I felt hungry I have terrible gas in my chest and it's so hot outside to do walking I been walking around the house. I have no cravings and I'm unsure when I'm hungry so every few hours I do broth Protein Water and maybe a popsicle but I barely make it through that.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:47 AM, colormehappy said:

I find if I try to get a solid start on Protein and Water right when I get up it manages my hunger better throughout the day. I’ve always been someone who waited to eat Breakfast for 1-2 hours after waking, but I can’t do that now or I feel pretty ravenous.

So funny. I experienced the exact opposite. I used to wake up in the morning hungry and the first thing I would do is make coffee and eat something. Now, one month post-op, when I wake up I'm not hungry at all and not interested in eating for the first few hours. Unfortunately, I'm always hungry at night. Around 9:00 or 10:00 pm I just feel like I really want something and usually wind up drinking a Protein Shake or eating some soft cheese. I really want to break this habit tho because late night eating was something I did a lot before surgery and I know it's a bad habit.

BTW, I came to this page a little late. I actually had my surgery on May 28th, but feel like I fit in this group because it was so close to June. It's super helpful to read the other posts where everyone is roughly at the same part of their journey as I am.

Would love it if this thread kept going because I feel like I'd love to know how everyone's progress goes and what pros and cons people are experiencing. I've been reading a lot about the sleeve specifically. And even though I'm only a month out, I'm already anxious reading about people who have plateaued or gained weight a couple of years out. The weight loss struggle has been part of my life since I was a kid, and I felt like getting the sleeve was a really big step and would finally put an end to this life-long struggle, so finding out that that is not always the case really shook me. This is such a unique experience, it would be great to continue to hear all of your thoughts and experiences for months and years to come.

For those of you who were dealing with gas pain and nausea - how are you doing now? I was very lucky and had almost no nausea. I had a little bit of gas pain, but it was mostly gone by the end of the first week.

1 hour ago, Heather13 said:

So funny. I experienced the exact opposite. I used to wake up in the morning hungry and the first thing I would do is make coffee and eat something. Now, one month post-op, when I wake up I'm not hungry at all and not interested in eating for the first few hours. Unfortunately, I'm always hungry at night. Around 9:00 or 10:00 pm I just feel like I really want something and usually wind up drinking a Protein Shake or eating some soft cheese. I really want to break this habit tho because late night eating was something I did a lot before surgery and I know it's a bad habit.

It’s only a bad habit if you’re eating mindlessly. If you’re truly hungry and it fits in your calories, it really doesn’t matter what time of day you’re eating!

On 06/26/2020 at 21:24, smile-everyday said:

Hi! I had VSG the same day! My issue I am running into is that I am not hungry at all and am struggling to actually get my Protein and Water in. I feel like I could easily go without it, so I am really just struggling to remember to drink and “eat”

5 hours ago, Heather13 said:

BTW, I came to this page a little late. I actually had my surgery on May 28th, but feel like I fit in this group because it was so close to June. It's super helpful to read the other posts where everyone is roughly at the same part of their journey as I am.

Would love it if this thread kept going because I feel like I'd love to know how everyone's progress goes and what pros and cons people are experiencing. I've been reading a lot about the sleeve specifically. And even though I'm only a month out, I'm already anxious reading about people who have plateaued or gained weight a couple of years out. The weight loss struggle has been part of my life since I was a kid, and I felt like getting the sleeve was a really big step and would finally put an end to this life-long struggle, so finding out that that is not always the case really shook me. This is such a unique experience, it would be great to continue to hear all of your thoughts and experiences for months and years to come.

For those of you who were dealing with gas pain and nausea - how are you doing now? I was very lucky and had almost no nausea. I had a little bit of gas pain, but it was mostly gone by the end of the first week.

Hi @ Heather13 welcome! I think I was similar to you. I had my surgery on 6/8 and had very little pain and nausea. The only thing I'm currently struggling with is exercise. Before my surgery I was pretty active, boxing 3-4 times a week, I'm only three weeks out and when I get up too quickly I get a little dizzy, but I'm hoping once i start incorporating soft foods my doctor will let me pick up on the exercising a bit.

17 hours ago, loveslostcause said:

Hello everyone I had surgery yesterday and me and my sleeve are not getting along so far. I'm in so much pain 😩

@loveslostcause How are you feeling today? The first days are bit rough, try and walk as much as you can to relieve some of that gas pain. It get's better.

Let's play a game, maybe something we can all do each week.

Tell me one high in your WLS journey this past week and one low. Also one goal you have for next week. Here's mine:

This morning I took my longest walk since having my surgery. I usually do 2, 30 minute walks a day. Today I walked for 53 minutes straight and it was only at the end where I started feeling fatigued. I'm going to try and do a little more walking this afternoon.

My low happened Friday, I've been following my diet pretty exactly (for 22 days after surgery I'm only allowed my Clear Liquids and Protein shake) this diet has made me pretty low energy and dizzy at times, but Thursday I broke my diet and had about a thumbs size piece of salmon. It was so yummy! I was initially pretty down on myself because I like to follow the rules, but I think tolerated it really well.

My goal for next week is to find a hill or stairs to walk up!

8 minutes ago, srgrl08 said:

Let's play a game, maybe something we can all do each week.

Tell me one high in your WLS journey this past week and one low. Also one goal you have for next week. Here's mine:

This morning I took my longest walk since having my surgery. I usually do 2, 30 minute walks a day. Today I walked for 53 minutes straight and it was only at the end where I started feeling fatigued. I'm going to try and do a little more walking this afternoon.

My low happened Friday, I've been following my diet pretty exactly (for 22 days after surgery I'm only allowed my Clear Liquids and Protein shake) this diet has made me pretty low energy and dizzy at times, but Thursday I broke my diet and had about a thumbs size piece of salmon. It was so yummy! I was initially pretty down on myself because I like to follow the rules, but I think tolerated it really well.

My goal for next week is to find a hill or stairs to walk up!

Great idea! My high was being able to go two days in a row without pain meds! I’m only 8 days out and the pain meds make me kind of loopy so I’m really happy about that! Low point - my steri strip fell off and I could see that my incision hasn’t closed yet. Not sure why it bummed me out so much but it did! Goal for next week is to actually hit 50g of Protein each day!

Hi I had a lapband to sleeve revision surgery on 6/15. I feel ok just tired. I’ve read others comment on here and I’m exactly the same it takes me all day to get in my Protein. The only problem I’m having off and on is right side pain. It comes and goes. I’m not sure if it gas pains or what. It feels like a catch or a bad cramp then it will just go away. Have any of y’all experienced this??