Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I wanted to start this thread for all the June Sleevers to share updates on their progress. When did you have your surgery? How many days are you post-op? How has your recovery been? Have anything you're struggling with? What does your post-op diet look like?

I'll go first! I had my surgery on 6/8. Surgery went really well, had an outpatient surgery so I was home same day. Recovery was really good, pain the first few days, now I'm pretty much back to my regular grind. I am struggling with my post-op diet a bit, but more so because I'm wishing I could have some real creamy Soups. I pretty much have 21 days of a sugar free clear liquid diet with the exceptions of two Protein Shakes. This is just phase 1. Phase 2 I move onto soft foods for 3 weeks, then solid foods. I haven't quite seen the weightloss I was hoping (3lbs), but you have to trust the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, srgrl08 said:

I wanted to start this thread for all the June Sleevers to share updates on their progress. When did you have your surgery? How many days are you post-op? How has your recovery been? Have anything you're struggling with? What does your post-op diet look like?

I'll go first! I had my surgery on 6/8. Surgery went really well, had an outpatient surgery so I was home same day. Recovery was really good, pain the first few days, now I'm pretty much back to my regular grind. I am struggling with my post-op diet a bit, but more so because I'm wishing I could have some real creamy Soups. I pretty much have 21 days of a sugar free clear liquid diet with the exceptions of two Protein Shakes. This is just phase 1. Phase 2 I move onto soft foods for 3 weeks, then solid foods. I haven't quite seen the weightloss I was hoping (3lbs), but you have to trust the process.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, G8trgrl said:

Yours is 4 days before mine. Mine is June 15th.

Hi -

I had my sleeve 1 week ago. It went really well except for the pain I am having in my shoulder I think is from the gas or from the Heital Hernia repair they did. I started drinking Protein Shakes on day 3. The said it was ok to do that for another week then I can add soft/pureed food. I guess different doctors say different things. I am having trouble getting in all my fluids. I've lost my thirst!! Here's to our journey to a whole new life...

48 minutes ago, srgrl08 said:

I wanted to start this thread for all the June Sleevers to share updates on their progress. When did you have your surgery? How many days are you post-op? How has your recovery been? Have anything you're struggling with? What does your post-op diet look like?

I'll go first! I had my surgery on 6/8. Surgery went really well, had an outpatient surgery so I was home same day. Recovery was really good, pain the first few days, now I'm pretty much back to my regular grind. I am struggling with my post-op diet a bit, but more so because I'm wishing I could have some real creamy Soups. I pretty much have 21 days of a sugar free clear liquid diet with the exceptions of two Protein Shakes. This is just phase 1. Phase 2 I move onto soft foods for 3 weeks, then solid foods. I haven't quite seen the weightloss I was hoping (3lbs), but you have to trust the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had surgery June 2 so tomorrow will be 2 weeks. I had a GI bleed post surgery, and had to be rushed back in and opened back up. The bleed had stopped on its own, but I had 50 ounces of blood just hanging out in my abdominal cavity. Had that removed and received a few bags of blood.

I’d say as of today I’m about 98% back to normal. I still get a little tired when I walk too much, but I’m cleaning house, chasing my kids, picking up groceries, etc. My husband has been super protective, grabbing things out of my hands to carry if I so much as lift a pack of toilet paper to carry inside. Haha.

I may never be able to look at a Premier Protein shake again when this is done, but getting Protein and Water in has gone pretty well. I’ve always been a huge water drinker so the hardest part has just been not being able to chug water and always feeling just a little bit thirstier than I’d like.

27 pounds down including my one week pre-op diet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for asking. I'm 5 days out and haven't had a BM even though I'm taking Colace every day. I Sent an email to my doctor this morning. I also had lost 8 pounds before surgery, then gained 5 while in the hospital which isn't coming off. I'm assuming it's basic Fluid but I want it gone. I'm older than most of you so things might be slower for me. I'm drinking not quite 3 shakes a day and about 18 oz of Water. Not much else. 3 short walks a day.

Today , I'm cutting my pain med in 1/2 , adding Tylenol, will lengthen my walks and try some veggies broth. I think I'm doing as expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, It's time. said:

Thanks for asking. I'm 5 days out and haven't had a BM even though I'm taking Colace every day. I Sent an email to my doctor this morning. I also had lost 8 pounds before surgery, then gained 5 while in the hospital which isn't coming off. I'm assuming it's basic Fluid but I want it gone. I'm older than most of you so things might be slower for me. I'm drinking not quite 3 shakes a day and about 18 oz of Water. Not much else. 3 short walks a day.

Today , I'm cutting my pain med in 1/2 , adding Tylenol, will lengthen my walks and try some veggies broth. I think I'm doing as expected.

I think it was a week before I had a BM - I don't think that's uncommon.

and yes - that gain from the hospital is due to the IV fluids. They have sodium in them (among other things), which makes a lot of people retain them for awhile. Five days is a little long, but not unheard of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

I think it was a week before I had a BM - I don't think that's uncommon.

and yes - that gain from the hospital is due to the IV fluids. They have sodium in them (among other things), which makes a lot of people retain them for awhile. Five days is a little long, but not unheard of.

I spoke with the doctor's office. They said all of it is normal, but increase Water, walking and take colace twice a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! I'm new here and appreciate being part of this circle. I was sleeved on June 11, so I'm 5 days post surgery. I think I'm doing well and am likely where I'm supposed to be on my recovery journey. I still feel a lot of pain around the larger abdominal incision, but not enough that it stops me from moving around gingerly. I can't really do 'real' walks around the block or anything. I'm doing a few loops around my pool a couple of times a day.

It's really interesting to see how different the approaches are between doctors and patients. I started Clear Liquids two days before surgery and two days after surgery. since then, I started of full liquids - which pretty much allows me to drink Premium Protein Shakes, Water, broth, sugar-free jello/pudding and greek yoghurt. I see my doctor again next week and will phase into soft/pureed foods for 4 weeks at the end of two weeks. I have to say that I'm feeling pretty hungry. Anyone else? My new stomach seems to be turning, but I'm not nauseous, just hungry. Not a fantastic feeling and had hoped I wouldn't have to contend with that right away.

When I got on the scale today, I realize I have dropped 12lbs already (since clear liquids started before the surgery). I haven't been able to shed more than a 2-3 lbs over the last year with all kinds of approaches and then 12 lbs in a week! I'm thrilled but a little concerned too. Unsure how to process it.

As a result of COVID, I'm working from home and started back to work today, so far so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dory2020 said:

Hi everyone! I'm new here and appreciate being part of this circle. I was sleeved on June 11, so I'm 5 days post surgery. I think I'm doing well and am likely where I'm supposed to be on my recovery journey. I still feel a lot of pain around the larger abdominal incision, but not enough that it stops me from moving around gingerly. I can't really do 'real' walks around the block or anything. I'm doing a few loops around my pool a couple of times a day.

It's really interesting to see how different the approaches are between doctors and patients. I started Clear Liquids two days before surgery and two days after surgery. since then, I started of full liquids - which pretty much allows me to drink Premium Protein Shakes, Water, broth, sugar-free jello/pudding and greek yoghurt. I see my doctor again next week and will phase into soft/pureed foods for 4 weeks at the end of two weeks. I have to say that I'm feeling pretty hungry. Anyone else? My new stomach seems to be turning, but I'm not nauseous, just hungry. Not a fantastic feeling and had hoped I wouldn't have to contend with that right away.

When I got on the scale today, I realize I have dropped 12lbs already (since Clear Liquids started before the surgery). I haven't been able to shed more than a 2-3 lbs over the last year with all kinds of approaches and then 12 lbs in a week! I'm thrilled but a little concerned too. Unsure how to process it.

As a result of COVID, I'm working from home and started back to work today, so far so good.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I find if I try to get a solid start on Protein and Water right when I get up it manages my hunger better throughout the day. I’ve always been someone who waited to eat Breakfast for 1-2 hours after waking, but I can’t do that now or I feel pretty ravenous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi i had my surgery on 5/5/20 and im a little over a month post op my surgery went well went home the next day bc my surgery was later in the day. Do not be discouraged if u do not see results right away. I was kind of down at first i just stuck to the diet. My pre surgery weight was 234 before my 6 month consult before surgery approval i was 250 when i go approved for surgery i was 234 i had lost all that weight from learning portion sizes and switching foods for healthy ones. So starting at 234 i went on my 2 week liquid diet and my going in weight at surgery was 213.5 pounds for the sleeve on average your suppose to loose 13 pounds a month for the first 6 months and 3 pounds a month for another 6 month until your body plateaus which will be your stopping weight. I am now 200.0 even i had lost the entire 13.5 pounds in a month so it is accurate if you do the right thing. The surgery is a tool u have to do the work also. I haven't weighed in again yet bc i am nervous i haven't been under 200 pounds since middle school this is a blessing for me my blood sugars are better and my joint pain is less from my autoimmune arthritis disease. All of you can do it.. Im here bc i have no support system so we all can be each other support systems anything yawl would like to know or recipes i will be glad to answer. God bless all of you on your journeys and cant weight to hear about everybody's 1 year anniversary and results pics. Im going to start taking some all [emoji2].

Sent from my LM-X410PM using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, colormehappy said:

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I find if I try to get a solid start on Protein and Water right when I get up it manages my hunger better throughout the day. I’ve always been someone who waited to eat Breakfast for 1-2 hours after waking, but I can’t do that now or I feel pretty ravenous.

It's funny you would mention that suggestion. I tried that today and it seems to have helped a bit. I started with the Protein Shake and then went to Water, rather than the other way around. Thanks for the tip!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my vsg on the 12th with Dr Galileo Villarreal in Nuevo Laredo. Everything went well, a few trying times with pains and hiccups (hate how I can feel them about 4 seconds before they hit), but so far all pretty positive. Down 8 lbs in four days since surgery, 21lbs since I started preop on June 1, getting my fluids and Protein in so far. Energy level is very low but I’m only at 180 calories a day at this point with the Protein Powder added to Gatorade zero, I’m guessing that will improve as I add some blended liquids next week. Still happy. To be honest the worst part of this is boredom. I didn’t realize how often I would go to the fridge and grab something just because I was bored. I have no desire to eat, i just get that momentary “let’s go see what there is in the fridge” thought that lasts a second before I realize that’s not me any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey everyone I was sleeved on June 10th. I’ve been doing okay for the most part, but my back has been pretty painful. I’m not sure if it’s a combination of the actual surgery and gas, or from my posture when I walk since it hurts to stand up straight. I’ve been using a heating pad on and off for that. My biggest incision still hurts and it feels like something “pulls” inside. But, nothing that limits me from walking around and doing my usual daily tasks. In a couple of days I get to start my full liquids. So far, no nausea and I’m able to get down my 64oz of Fluid with no problem. I’m down 16lbs since a couple of days before surgery so I guess everything is going in the right direction.

Edited by BrandiRB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sleeved 6/3 - spent 1 night in the hospital. Went back to work on Monday (but working from home because of COVID). I start soft foods tomorrow! Feeling pretty 'normal' - but if I sip too fast or too much, my new stomach HURTS (well, it's not my stomach so much as my chest) - so I've been using timers. Getting 64 ozs Water, 24 ozs Bone Broth, 11.5 ozs of Protein Shake in a day. I'm a little nervous to start 'real' foods tomorrow after 4 weeks on this all-liquid diet. Still feel kinda weak at times. Not really working out yet - other than the 40 mins of walking that my surgeon recommends - and some incidental exercise going to the grocery store and costco. My surgeon has me taking 1 Flintstones Complete chewable Vitamin A day - so I take that at night with my Prozac. It makes me a tad nauseated - but I try and fall asleep pretty quickly after taking it (same trick I used when I was pregnant and taking prenatal vitamins). I'm down almost 27 lbs in 4 weeks (only weighing myself once a week) - which is really, really wild. I know that will stall/plateau - so I'm trying not to focus so much on that - and focus more on how my clothes fit - but it feels pretty surreal right now. I really appreciate all the support of this group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My VSG was on 6/5. I had a very difficult time in the hospital. Dry heaving and vomiting. I went home on day 3. By day 10 I was back admitted for dehydration for 3 days. It’s been a struggle. But I’m trying to stay positive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BrandiRB Hi, and congrats! We’re sleeve twins! I also had my VSG on 6/10/20.

For everyone else, congrats as well. I had the lapband back in 2014 and lost about 90lbs in less than a year. I did really well. I got pregnant in 2015, gave birth in 2016. I lost all of my pregnancy weight and got back on track but wasn’t losing weight. By 2017, I had gained about 30lbs or so. I had to find a different doctor because my surgeon’s practice had closed down. I had an EGD done which revealed that my lapband had corroded causing a hole in my stomach. I had the lapband removed in January 2018. My surgeon said it would take 6 months to a year before considering a revision because the hole needed to heal properly. So fast forward to November 2019: I found a surgeon with an affordable cash pay option. I had another EGD done to make sure the hole healed properly and that the scar tissue was minimal. Once I got the okay, we scheduled my procedure. Unfortunately, COVID-19 delayed it.

So, I started my liquid diet on 6/1/20. It was supposed to be for 2 weeks where I’d have surgery on 6/15/20 but my surgeon pushed me up to 6/10/20 because he said he had a family emergency and would be traveling out of town. So, my liquid preop diet was for 10 days instead of 14 days. My preop weight was 337 on 6/1/20. On the day of surgery (6/10/20), I weighed 322. Today (6/21/20), I weigh 315. The incision site is still a little tender but they are healing well. It didn’t help that one of my kids accidentally ran into it (twice 😩). I still can’t sleep on my side yet. I’m having a hard time getting in regular Water. I HAVE to have a Crystal Light to drink it smoothly. Protein Shakes are okay but I have to pace myself. I also noticed that I have to start early in the day to get it all in. There are some days that I have not gotten it all in. I don’t always have a desire to “eat.” It’s weird but I don’t want to force myself. I did this on yesterday and got nauseous. First (and last) time I do that. I do have a desire to chew - not because I’m hungry - just because chewing is what I’ve been accustomed to and can’t do just yet.

So, my diet setup is like this:
10 days - preop full liquids
Weeks 1 & 2 - post op full liquids
Week 3 - post op purée foods
Week 4 - post op soft foods
Week 5 - post op regular texture/low carb/high Protein

My surgeon’s Nurse Practitioner met with me for my 1 week follow up and said that I should lose about 20lbs by the time of my 1 month post op appointment. I was like YIKES but okay.

As far as exercise goes, I’ve walked in my home mostly. I did go on a walk with my husband and kids one day last week as well. It wasn’t bad but I was a bit anxious. I plan to amp it up as I can tolerate it.

I still have some trapped gas and my back is very painful when I yawn, stretch or sit/lay a certain way. I believe it’ll go away in due time, though. I have an Abdominal binder that I’m supposed to wear at all times when I’m awake. I’ve worn it daily but not for the entire day. I usually tolerate it for about 7/8 hours. My surgeon said it’s supposed to help my stomach and other organs as it heals to sort of “snap back.” They suggested I wear it for the first month.

Bad breath - yep, I have it. I’m brushing and rinsing often to help deal with it. I look forward to changing up my diet because this, my friends, is not cute!

I drove at 1 week/1day post op and did fine. I cannot drive my SUV just yet because it’s hard for me to get up and done. So I’m driving my husband’s car for now.

Other than that, I’m gradually getting back into the swing of my normal routine. I’ve meal prepped for my family, done laundry and housework as well. I take my time and listen to my body. If I feel winded, I rest.

I’m excited about this journey. I honestly don’t know what my end goal is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×