Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im scared of gaining weight through this crisis

I have 10 pounds to go but now instead of losing I'm watching my weight stall and slowly creep up even. I don't feel that it's safe to go to the gym as my gym is crowded. I'm staying home, working from home and not doing my usual running around. I am much more sedentary now. There is much less access to fresh foods, store shelves are empty and we had to stock up on Pasta, rice and canned food as a backup. Not to mention I seem to be eating my feelings more and more.

Im really scared that my weight will continue to creep up! I know what everyone will say, do yoga on YouTube and stop stress eating. OK, easier said than done! :) This is a really scary time and I'm already so prone to anxiety but it's just been out of control. Being isolated is depressing and when you get depressed it's really hard to be disciplined and make a lot of effort. Is anyone in the same boat?

You need to get your head on straight there is nothing any of us can do, But stressing out and being depressed surely is helping nobody. Grab a buddy and snuggle and play! Watch a movie Not CNN - Be thankful you are alive.

This is getting crazy

I don’t know what to say exactly. Whatever your fears regarding Covid-19 it shouldn’t alter your healthy way of eating post gastric bypass. There are plenty of options that do not need to be “fresh foods” to keep on hand that are bariatric friendly, low carb and low sugar for meals. I managed to get eggs, yogurt, I have Protein Powder, Protein Bars, a few Protein Soups, I also have frozen foods I tend to buy vegetarian frozen foods. But depending on your stage there are options. Unopened cottage cheese and yogurt stays fresh longer check dates. You can buy canned Proteins like tuna, chicken, etc. frozen vegetables. No reason to just stock up on carbs.

Also try to find things to distract from worries besides food. If you are safe at home just try not to worry. @AJ Tylo is right there is nothing we can do to change the course of this. I’ve immunodeficiency and lifelong chronic illness and I can’t stress over this. I’m just doing my best to stay on track with what I can. even though I’m dealing with my own personal issues despite everything going on out there.

Even though it’s hard as life gets thrown into a strange situation that’s new to you just try to take it one moment at a time and be grateful you are healthy and alive.

I can’t play psychic as people seem to like to and say it’s gonna get better, just take it in the moment. And find things to occupy your mind. Get on track with getting hydration, and protein and don’t fall for carbs or comfort foods just because you think it will make you feel better. There are many other things you can do to find comfort and solace and distract your mind to feel better even if it’s just binge watching a really good tv show or taking a long walk alone in nature ... you don’t need a gym for that or to be around other humans either.

side note if you can’t exercise compensate in other ways. I can’t exercise due to my chronic illness and disability. I follow a low carb way of eating, and calorie counting. But honestly even now you can find ways to get in some exercise, at home, alone in nature, etc. get creative ...

Edited by Darktowerdream

I had the same concern about gaining, but it's not happening. Without my usual office cues, sometimes I even forget to eat, and that never happens to me. With all my newfound free time in the house, I'm planning on making some healthy crockpot recipes. I never cook, but I can cook. :) Walks outside are safe.

1 hour ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I have 10 pounds to go but now instead of losing I'm watching my weight stall and slowly creep up even. I don't feel that it's safe to go to the gym as my gym is crowded. I'm staying home, working from home and not doing my usual running around. I am much more sedentary now. There is much less access to fresh foods, store shelves are empty and we had to stock up on Pasta, rice and canned food as a backup. Not to mention I seem to be eating my feelings more and more.

Im really scared that my weight will continue to creep up! I know what everyone will say, do yoga on YouTube and stop stress eating. OK, easier said than done! :) This is a really scary time and I'm already so prone to anxiety but it's just been out of control. Being isolated is depressing and when you get depressed it's really hard to be disciplined and make a lot of effort. Is anyone in the same boat?

Not worried at all.... my feelings... this is all being over blown due to the Presidental race in Nov. They want the economy to tank so they can have a reason to say.... look how bad Trump is.
why did you stock up on Pasta, rice? why not stock up on fresh veggies and meats.... I use my vacuum sealer to keep things fresh.... I don't eat much, so i'm good.

This is another reason.... i love hunting... i have a freezer full of Deer

There is nothing stopping you from going outside and walking around.... turn on Netflix and do yoga... it cost nothing to walk/run in the neighborhood or at a park. Or you can do some cardio in your own back yard... take in some fresh air.

@BayougirlMrsS, why don't we leave politics out of the discussion and focus on health and support.

1 hour ago, jasmineinmymind said:

Try to remain mindful of your choices. Do things to destress and get active. Short breaks walking around your house for 5 minutes. Deep breathing (google Four Square Breathing). Go back to logging EVERY bite. Weigh and measure. Stock up on frozen veggies and meats as they are available. Ditch the Pasta if possible. Clean! Get active. Go for walks. Intermittent Fast and go to doing alternating days where you restrict eating to OMAD and limit cals that day to 500. Then you alternate with days that are more normal eating and calories.

Oh and if you have 3x3 feet of clear space, you can do Leslie Sansone, Walk Away The Pounds on YouTube. 15minutes = 1 mile! Do it 3-4 times per day and you'll be too pooped to pop! Haha!

I'm in maintenance and I still do ADF 3-4 days per week to maintain. Also, I have healthy foods in my freezer, pantry, and fridge. I don't allow the FTMMMO in my house. (FTMMMO=Food That Mad Me Morbidly Obese). We broke up. Hopefully, forevs.

Edited by FluffyChix

5 minutes ago, JessLess said:

@BayougirlMrsS, why don't we leave politics out of the discussion and focus on health and support.

that was one sentence .... and that's what you got out of that..... AND it's how i feel about all of this... I am NOT WORRIED AT ALL ABOUT CORONA VIRUS..... Even though most gyms are closing.... it's free to walk outside....

My Health and support were completely valid.... I simply said to stock up on better choices and to keep moving.....

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Try to remain mindful of your choices. Do things to destress and get active. Short breaks walking around your house for 5 minutes. Deep breathing (google Four Square Breathing). Go back to logging EVERY bite. Weigh and measure. Stock up on frozen veggies and meats as they are available. Ditch the Pasta if possible. Clean! Get active. Go for walks. Intermittent Fast and go to doing alternating days where you restrict eating to OMAD and limit cals that day to 500. Then you alternate with days that are more normal eating and calories.

Oh and if you have 3x3 feet of clear space, you can do Leslie Sansone, Walk Away The Pounds on YouTube. 15minutes = 1 mile! Do it 3-4 times per day and you'll be too pooped to pop! Haha!

I'm in maintenance and I still do ADF 3-4 days per week to maintain. Also, I have healthy foods in my freezer, pantry, and fridge. I don't allow the FTMMMO in my house. (FTMMMO=Food That Mad Me Morbidly Obese). We broke up. Hopefully, forevs.

what fluffy said.....

11 minutes ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

that was one sentence .... and that's what you got out of that..... AND it's how i feel about all of this... I am NOT WORRIED AT ALL ABOUT CORONA VIRUS..... Even though most gyms are closing.... it's free to walk outside....

My Health and support were completely valid.... I simply said to stock up on better choices and to keep moving.....

The reason most of us are taking precautions is we are not worried about getting Coronavirus. We are WORRIED about giving it to people who have compromised immune systems. Do you have any elderly relatives?

And the reason I brought it up is that it's the second time you have in a thread I've been posting in.

1 hour ago, AJ Tylo said:

You need to get your head on straight there is nothing any of us can do, But stressing out and being depressed surely is helping nobody.

It gets harder by the day, my dear, though I know you're most likely right with what you're saying.

I'm going back to work on Thursday. I work at the biggest hospital in the area. We already have COVID-9 patients, including critical ones. And every damn patient is getting a CT scan of the lung before going to ICU or IMC. My colleagues tell me people are already freaking out, face masks are limited to one per shift and here I am sitting at home being only 3 weeks post-op wondering if my immune system is still kind of compromised. Hopefully not.

Oh, well... I guess if one catches it, one catches it. Wash hands, wear a mask when necessary and protection clothing and hope for the best. At least I'm not working on the ICU.

3 minutes ago, JessLess said:

The reason most of us are taking precautions is we are not worried about getting Coronavirus. We are WORRIED about giving it to people who have compromised immune systems. Do you have any elderly relatives?

And the reason I brought it up is that it's the second time you have in a thread I've been posting in.

Really... hmmm i don't remember saying anything about politics,.... but i could be wrong (please remind me). I really have no memory of that... then again i take Ambien at night and do some crazy stuff. If i did, i'm not afraid of eating crow..... Now maybe i posted something about going hunting....
How can you give something to someone that you don't have? I've checked with a few of my family and friends who are RN's and a Dr..... asked what their thoughts and they all said the same thing.... It's getting blown out of portion. But, like with everything, everyone has an opinion... i have been blessed with a great immune system... Thank you God...

9 minutes ago, summerset said:

It gets harder by the day, my dear, though I know you're most likely right with what you're saying.

I'm going back to work on Thursday. I work at the biggest hospital in the area. We already have COVID-9 patients, including critical ones. And every damn patient is getting a CT scan of the lung before going to ICU or IMC. My colleagues tell me people are already freaking out, face masks are limited to one per shift and here I am sitting at home being only 3 weeks post-op wondering if my immune system is still kind of compromised. Hopefully not.

Oh, well... I guess if one catches it, one catches it. Wash hands, wear a mask when necessary and protection clothing and hope for the best. At least I'm not working on the ICU.

thank you for all you do.

My son is in CRNA school now, but was a CCU RN for years. So was my DIL. She now teaches RN's. They both work nights/weekend in CCU....

2 minutes ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

How can you give something to someone that you don't have? I've checked with a few of my family and friends who are RN's and a Dr..... asked what their thoughts and they all said the same thing.... It's getting blown out of portion.

I hope they're right. Germany is freaking out atm.