Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im scared of gaining weight through this crisis

39 minutes ago, JessLess said:

@BayougirlMrsS, why don't we leave politics out of the discussion and focus on health and support.

yes - PLEASE! One of the nice things about being on here is I get to get AWAY from politics!

1 minute ago, summerset said:

I hope they're right. Germany is freaking out atm.

positive thoughts....

5 minutes ago, summerset said:

I hope they're right. Germany is freaking out atm.

and look at Italy....

Here are some things I've come up with to keep my mind and body sane. Maybe they will help you too.
1) get outside. Don't be near people but walk the dog, jog around the block, clean up your garden. Its cold as hell where I am but bundling up and getting out and moving helps! Biking works too!
2) try a new hobby. This is the time to finally try knitting or sewing! There are tons of YouTube videos that can reach us essentially any skill or hobby. And you can order materials online. Bluprint.com has great knitting kits and follow along videos. When your hands are busy you can't be putting food in your mouth. I started knitting dog sweaters for the animal shelters this week
3) start a journal. This is an incredibly crazy time in our lives. Write stuff down! Get your feelings out ! Use good old fashioned pen and paper. Again, keeps your hands busy
4) get an awesome puzzle and work on it a couple hours a day. Frame it when you're done as a reminder we survived this!
5) adult coloring books and documentaries! Color while you listen/watch - not only are you keeping your hands busy, you're keeping your mind sharp and learning!
6) find a friend or group of friends and do an online workout. Set up a workout ahead of time that can be done in the house, and Skype your friends and do it together!

I'm sure I'll come up with more but hopefully something here helps you or someone else!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ok. COVID-19 should be a serious concern for everyone. And anxiety disorders are real so please stop telling her to distract herself. Practicing social distancing isn’t in our nature as Americans and some find it very difficult to alter routines. Do the best you can. It’s all any of us can do. Just because you’re homebound right now doesn’t mean you can’t go for a walk outside. Just keep a fair distance from others. 6 feet isn’t enough. A sneeze Or strong cough can send aerosolized particles up to 30 feet. Practice good hand hygiene. Eat small meals. Stay hydrated. And if you have a therapist offering text or FaceTime appointments DO IT. Let’s all be here for each other. — your friendly Microbiologist, Epidemiologist

24 minutes ago, jollyholly777 said:

COVID-19 should be a serious concern for everyone. And anxiety disorders are real so please stop telling her to distract herself.

Indeed. And some groups are more at risk. It's not only chronically ill people, but also medical staff and e. g. the cashiers in grocery stores etc. etc. etc. - there simply are people who can't just stay home and hide.

When anxiety strikes, "distraction" indeed doesn't tend to work. Plus, with all the hysteria one doesn't need a diagnosed anxiety disorder to freak out. Be exposed long enough and you're good to go.

And honestly: "weight gain" is the least of my concerns now. I was like WTH?? when I read that post and just like... wow.

6 hours ago, summerset said:

It gets harder by the day, my dear, though I know you're most likely right with what you're saying.

I'm going back to work on Thursday. I work at the biggest hospital in the area. We already have COVID-9 patients, including critical ones. And every damn patient is getting a CT scan of the lung before going to ICU or IMC. My colleagues tell me people are already freaking out, face masks are limited to one per shift and here I am sitting at home being only 3 weeks post-op wondering if my immune system is still kind of compromised. Hopefully not.

Oh, well... I guess if one catches it, one catches it. Wash hands, wear a mask when necessary and protection clothing and hope for the best. At least I'm not working on the ICU.

Good luck! Hopefully the steps we are now taking (or being strongly encouraged to take) will, in fact, "flatten the curve" and you and all the other folks on the front lines in this crisis don't get totally swamped. I worry for all my friends in healthcare; it's hard to fight off the virus when you are working under such stressful conditions. My thankful thoughts are with you.

11 hours ago, summerset said:

And honestly: "weight gain" is the least of my concerns now. I was like WTH?? when I read that post and just like... wow.

I like you a lot @summerset, not disagreeing with you, and I think you agree with me. I have an anxiety disorder and I can worry about a lot of different things at once. I don't have much control over COVID-19 outside of my immediate family. But gaining weight IS under my control. I'm the kind of person who might displace anxiety about something super scary onto something I can actually deal with. I have no idea if @jasmineinmymind has the same issue, but... the concern kind of makes sense to me.

58 minutes ago, JessLess said:

But gaining weight IS under my control. I'm the kind of person who might displace anxiety about something super scary onto something I can actually deal with. I have no idea if @jasmineinmymind has the same issue, but... the concern kind of makes sense to me.

I can kind of relate. When anxiety strikes people concentrate on a lot of things that seem to be under their control because everything else seems to be so out of control.

The stress is real and shopping is getting increasingly difficult. I have been planning for a few weeks so I have a lot of lean Protein in my freezer. I also bought extra Protein Bars. I’ve been stress eating grapes for now, but fresh fruit and vegetables are the first things running low where I live. I’ll need a plan B, this is going to be a long term situation.

We went into our basement and dug out a bunch of old board games and we are going to finally start actually doing Ring Fit on the Wii Switch.

Weather permitting, going out for walks helps clear my head.

@jasmineinmymind Can you ask for anxiety medication if you already aren’t taking one?

Edited to add: I stocked up on paint so I can continue to stress paint!

Edited by Cheeseburgh

I've reached my goal. My only concern is I normally weigh myself once a week in my gym at work. They've closed it, so I need to buy a scale (planning on doing so when I get paid tomorrow). Without weighing in, I wouldn't know if for some reason I'm gaining. My activity has gone down so I'm not going to freak if I gain a little. Just got to roll with the times.

But people, without getting political, as someone with a Biochemistry degree, take this seriously. It's not a hoax and it's not the flu. Use common sense. Wash your damn hands.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:51 AM, jasmineinmymind said:

Is anyone in the same boat?

Stressing about the "what if" scenarios concerning CORVID-19 in itself may cause weight gain, certain people such as myself stress-eat so situations that increase stress levels should be avoided at all costs

For me, keeping myself busy helps reduce my stress. However some busy items also induce eating. For example, if I am watching TV for an extended amount of time I tend to desire food, something to munch on while I binge watch a Netflix show so I avoid any long periods of time in front of the TV screen.

Since this CORVID-19 stuff is forcing us to stay home and avoid contact with others, I am gong to use the extra "at home" time to complete some on-line technical courses that are reverent to my profession. I also received a lifetime subscription to Rosetta Stone as a gift this past Christmas so maybe I will also start to lean a 2nd language just for fun. Figure if your keeping your brain active perhaps it will be too occupied to think about food or other items we have no control over that induce unneeded stress.

Edited just now by VIN_IN_AL

Walking, bike riding is what i did..... Ohhhh and started cleaning out my shoes.... All my size 7 are too big... Already did the clothes...

2.8 mile walk/run with the dogs. Golden retrievers are bad at social distancing.

Dogs.jpg