Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Tale of Two Arm Lifts (rs & ms.sss)

4 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Yikes. This sucks. Are you taking any pain meds?? Do you have to do anything specific to address it??

P.S. Point taken. No more crunches in bed.

I took my leftover Percoset on Sunday & Monday night, the pain was keeping me awake. During the day I am taking Advil (I know this is generally forbidden after WLS, but it's what works for me). The abdominal pain along w the swelling is causing me to hunch over a bit, so that leads to a sore back as well, which the Advil helps with.

8 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I took my leftover Percoset on Sunday & Monday night, the pain was keeping me awake. During the day I am taking Advil (I know this is generally forbidden after WLS, but it's what works for me). The abdominal pain along w the swelling is causing me to hunch over a bit, so that leads to a sore back as well, which the Advil helps with.

Has the pain or swelling gotten worse? Does your doc know how bad it still is?

41 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Has the pain or swelling gotten worse? Does your doc know how bad it still is?

The pain has stayed the same, just able to localize where the sharp pain is, if that makes sense. Swelling has been completely consistent since it started 12 days post op, no change.

Yes, my surgeon and his PA are amazingly responsive. Swelling just is what it is, completely normal, no matter how annoying it is. The muscle pain, had a couple of long convo's about it. Basically it would be very difficult for me to do any real damage. Both the sutures and muscles involved in the plication are incredible tough. If I had done any real damage I would have known IMMEDIATELY. It would not have been a growing ache/pain/soreness. But I did apparently irritate/stretch/something my abdominal muscles. Only remedy is rest them as much as possible and let them heal again. :(

22 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

The pain has stayed the same, just able to localize where the sharp pain is, if that makes sense. Swelling has been completely consistent since it started 12 days post op, no change.

Yes, my surgeon and his PA are amazingly responsive. Swelling just is what it is, completely normal, no matter how annoying it is. The muscle pain, had a couple of long convo's about it. Basically it would be very difficult for me to do any real damage. Both the sutures and muscles involved in the plication are incredible tough. If I had done any real damage I would have known IMMEDIATELY. It would not have been a growing ache/pain/soreness. But I did apparently irritate/stretch/something my abdominal muscles. Only remedy is rest them as much as possible and let them heal again. :(

Oh gosh, well what a relief!!! So glad you have a responsive team!!! It makes all the difference!! I hope you turn the corner soon and feel better tomorrow hon!!!

Forward: Hope no one reading this is offended (its legal in my part of the woods...)

Small tip: @sillykitty ... pot can be your friend. and its legal in California, too, yes? Helps with both the pain AND the sleep.

Edited by ms.sss

Hoping the lymphatic massage helps with the swelling. Thinking marijuana will help overall with a relaxing. Legal here in DC too.

6 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Forward: Hope no one reading this is offended (its legal in my part of the woods...)

Small tip: @sillykitty ... pot can be your friend. and its legal in California, too, yes? Helps with both the pain AND the sleep.

Totally legal here ...

Maybe I'll give it a shot, maybe tonight. I'm a little apprehensive, it has always hit me super hard. I go straight from fine to HIGH. Not sure how I feel about sitting around high af f**k in my robe all by myself tonight 😂

Edited by sillykitty

LOL! Just promise you won’t watch Pee Wee Hetmann’s Great Adventure!!!!

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

LOL! Just promise you won’t watch Pee Wee Hetmann’s Great Adventure!!!!

I'll probably just stare into space and then order take out 😂

Update for today:

Since I wanted to wear my regular bra today at work that gives me a better profile look (compared to the sports bra type I wore yesterday), I did what a couple of you suggested - I wore a thin camisole *under* my bra. It totally helped. No chafing on my side incisions at all. So happy!

As far as the swelling in my elbows, this morning they had improved from the day before but by the end of today they're more swollen again. Tomorrow I have my next Dr checkup so I'll ask about it. Hope I don't get a scolding for no longer wrapping my arms either in the garment or ace bandages. Every day or so I try the ace bandages to see if it will help with the swelling but it actually makes it worse so. Plus it also makes the under side of my elbows red and sore.

The tightness I was having when I outstretched my arms seems to have improved quite a bit. Thinking it's because I've naturally been moving more these past 3 days since I've been back to work compared to the 3 weeks I was home doing absolutely nothing.

My skin around the incisions is so dry and gross. I haven't put on any oil or that silicone tape yet because at my last appointment the Dr just said not to do anything. Hopefully tomorrow at my appointment he'll say it's ok.

So there's my 24 day post arm lift update!

Today marks 3 weeks since PS!

Update from tonite's follow up appointment with Doc found here:

Do you have a stress ball you can squeeze randomly through out the day? That will help your lower arm muscles pump Fluid out of your arm without stressing or overusing your upper arm and shoulder muscles. Even squeezing a washcloth rolled up (use string or a rubber band to keep it rolled up) would help.

Oh I hadn't heard of that as an option for reducing the swelling out of my arms (mostly elbows). I'll have to try that. And I'll also try to remember to ask my Dr tomorrow also. Thanks!

@rs great minds think alike...we posted updates at the same time ;)

[mention=334772]rs[/mention] Yay to the no chafing Are you swelling on both elbows? Or just one?
[mention=350221]mousecat88[/mention] Man, you are looking FIT. Your work at the gym is totally showing. I love the 3rd picture of you and ARM. I won't even call it your arm. It needs recognition all on its own, LOL.
I have my 3 week follow up with my surgeon later today. I'm hoping to be cleared for the gym.
However.
Even if he does clear me, I can tell my arms won't be able to do all I want to anyway. And while I've been doing regular straight up crunches in bed (shhhhhh!!!!), I also can tell that I wouldn't be able to comfortably do any lateral ab exercises either. On another note, I also tried to pick up the pace to a slow jog during one of my walks yesterday (again, shhhhhh!!!) but the bounciness of it felt weird in my stomach...so that didn't last long.
Who would have thought that I would be disappointed to NOT be able to workout/exercise?!?! My, my, my, how times have changed.
Both elbows

[mention=334772]rs[/mention] great minds think alike...we posted updates at the same time
Muah