Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the Maryland Bandsters?

I looked under the local groups for Maryland and it does not look like very many folks participate in that group. I am dying to connect via this site with some folks in Maryland.

If you are from Maryland and want to communicate, please respond...

I live in Anne Arundel County. Was banded a few years ago, but haven't really lost any weight. I took my time about getting my first fill and then shortly thereafter I became pregnant. My daughter is now 10 months old and I am working on losing the weight. Have about 60 lbs to lose, so I figure I should be at my goal next year this time.

Feel free to PM if you ever need to talk.

Lisa

Hi Molly,

My name is Cindy, I'm from Md. but now live in Florida. I spent most of my life there. I went to high school in Glen Burnie. what part of Md do you live in? I really miss it there sometimes, like the leaves changing and the waether getting cooler, but this is my home now. I was banded on 9/25/07 and have lost around the same amount as you. It's still pretty difficult to get this thing under wraps (the band that is). I still feel like I want to eat very fast and also a whole lot, but I'm quickly reminded that I can't do those things with any success. Have you had your first fill yet? I'm guessing no since you were just banded on the ninth. I've had one so far. I'm kind of afraid to get on the scale, but I can sure tell you, I CAN NOT eat as much as I could before the fill. I had actually put on 7lbs between surgery and my fill. I really felt like such a loser, but my doctor said that I haden'tt even had any help yet. He said to give him some time to give me the adjustments, and then we would see where I was at. I had even asked him if he thought I should seek counseling LOL. He is also a lap band patient, so he really understands this whole process. I really felt better after I left his office. He looked directly into my eyes and reassured me that this thing works. Actually I could just look at him and see it works, he lost around 120 lbs and I believe he has kept off 100lbs for 5 years. I'm looking forward to food not being such a huge part of my life, It has really controlled me at times. How about you? Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting with you and hearing about your struggles and TRIUMPHS!!! We can do this.

Cindy

Hey there guys. I am from Maryland. I live in Charles County (Waldorf, to be exact). I would love to chat with any and all of you all. I have done pretty well with my band, but have just recently noticed that I can get more down than before, so maybe it's time for a slight fill. I have had three so far and the last one gave me great restriction. I'll give it a week or two and if I notice that I am still eating more than I should, I'll call and make an appointment. I have stepped up my exercise, but need to increase it just a tad bit more. What do you find is the exercise that you enjoy the most? I do Water aerobics, and I love it. The problem is...it's only one day a week and that's not going to cut it. Well...welcome to the lap band everyone and I can't wait to hear from you all. You're right...we can do this!!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Hi Molly!

I am Dr. Averbach's patient, banded at St. Agnes also. I too have wondered where all the Maryland folks are. It looks like you are doing well with your band! I'm here if you want to chat. :D

Hey Marylander's & Maryland Transplants:

Sorry I started this post and then disappeared for a few days.

I have been working around the house and trying to work the band.

Hopefully more Marylander's will sign on.

Do any of you go to a support group? If so, where and what is the schedule of meetings.

Tina,

Wow, 69 lbs... That is great.

When did you start feeling like you wanted to work out? I truly don't feel like I have the energy. Today I did some painting in my house (2 ceilings) and I am wiped out, and sore all over. I am amazed at my lack of stamina...

I do belong to a gym at work. I will start going when I go back to work.

You and Kim are definite inspirations to me, you've both done so well. Any words of wisdom for me/us on this thread?

Kim,

I read your entire journal. Thanks so much for keeping it and putting it out there for us to read. I really found it helpful.

Your pictures are amazing, and yes, Wow on the dress.

I pray I can make this band work for me, inside I am a little afraid because I have failed so many times before. The one thing I was hoping the band would do for me is to minimize the importance of food in my life. I think that idea is probably unrealistic. It sounds like a life long balancing act.

What is your strategy when you get to your goal?

Molly,

In the beginning I think everyone is afraid of failure and that the band won't work for them. I was so afraid that I told NO ONE I was banded. I can't speak for everyone, but food really isn't such a big issue for me anymore. As soon as I was unfilled all the way, the obsessions started again (and NO, it wasn't just psychological). When I was refilled, the obsessions stopped again. For the first time in my life, I can control the eating, and it doesn't control ME. That doesn't mean I don't crave certain things that aren't good for me, because I STILL do. I am just content now to have a few bites of cake (or whatever), and then push it away.

As to my strategy when I reach goal, I honestly never thought about it before. I guess I keep hoping my body will find it's set point. I've read that somewhere around your goal weight you just stop losing. Strategy- hmmm, I guess I need to look into that.

As to your support group meeting question, I know that our doctor's office can help you with that. Although I don't post much, I visit the boards here a few times a week. I have gotten such education and inspiration by reading the posts. I never went to the support groups because I feel I have had every question and issue answered here.

Molly, your stamina will return. Gee girl, take it easy. (Painting 2 ceilings?) You aren't even 3 weeks post op yet!

Tina, I would like to try Water aerobics too. Swimming is my favorite exercise. It's harder to get outside now that it's winter. You are right though, we can and WILL do this! Keep up the good work.

Hey there...sorry I didn't get back to you guys earlier...

Motivation??? Okay...it was my 33rd birthday and I decided...I am no longer going to continue to gain weight. I had had enough and wanted to put a stop to it. I went to my PCP and told him that I wanted lapband. I then had to go to him once a month to get weighed in for my "supervised weight loss attempts". I have two kids...7 and 4 and I was tired of sitting on my deck watching them play...I wanted to join them. So, basically, my kids were my motivation. After going through the six months of visiting my PCP, I got my referral to Dr. Brody. I went to meet him and discuss the surgery and was very impressed with the office, his staff and him. I was very excited. They (the office) submitted my information to insurance and sure enough, within two weeks I had a surgery date. I had to start my pre-op diet on April 16, so...on April 15 I had a "Farewell to Fat" party at my house and surrounded myself with friends, family and food. Had a great time and pigged out. The rest is history...

Following my two week follow-up with Dr. Brody, he gave me the thumbs up to begin exercising. I went back to Curves and was full of motivation. However...I found after time that my heart rate wasn't getting up to the fat burning zone at Curves, so I am cancelling my contract from there. When I started the Water aerobics, I realized how much I loved it. I really look forward to it. Don't get me wrong...for the most part, I'm not a big exercise fan, but I realize that I have to do it to see my weight go down. I have set one of my goals (to be under 200) and I'm trying hard to get there. I am rewarding myself with a Coach purse. I already bought it, but I refuse to use it until I reach that goal. It's difficult to look at it and now use it, but it makes me realize that I have work to do.

Well gals...it's great to chat with you all. We need to keep this thread going. This is a great place for us to turn when we need a little boost. Remember...WE CAN AND WILL DO THIS!!!! :whoo::whoo::whoo:

Hi All,

Can I join in? I'm a fellow MD'er too. I had my surgery at GBMC and I think they have a "lap-band only" support group. I haven't been. I did however do the "Walk from Obesity" last month.

Molly, I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of your success. We got banded around the same time and you're just trucking along nicely. Don't get me wrong 40+ gone for me it just seems like its taking forever. People keep telling me its going slow because I've been building muscle...WHATEVER!! I have been seening a personal trainer at a gym in Severna Park...she's absolutly FABULOUS!!!

Anyway, best wishes too all!!

Tina, your children are so blessed to have such a wonderful mom. Soon your children will have to run to catch up with you! You are doing so great on your journey. :whoo:

G.- Welcome! I'm glad you joined us. You were just banded in July. You've already lost 44 pounds! Oh my gosh, you are doing GREAT. I think we all wish the weight would come off quickly, but the truth is, we didn't get that way overnight, and we aren't going to lose the weight overnight either. You should be so proud of yourself right now. I think you are doing awesome. :clap2:

Hey everybody, what is your strategy to make it through the holidays? At this point, I'll be happy if I just maintain my weight.

I am new to the site today but saw your post and had to reply. I live in Poolesville, MD in Montgomery County. I haven't had the procedure yet but I am meeting with Dr. Barry Greene next week to get things rolling.

If you've had the procedure, I would love to hear about it! How have things gone for you?

My name is Sarah, I am 39 years old, married with a 6 year old daughter. I am an attorney and have a pretty fulfilling life, with one big (no pun intended) exception. I am looking forward to taking control of my body.

Would love to hear form you, Sarah

I got on the scale this morning and it read 211.6 !!! I haven't seen that

number in a very long time. I'm afraid that it will not read that number

tommorrow. I have such issues with that little piece of metal LOL.

Anyway I go to the doctor's on Wed. so his scale I can believe. I feel like

I'm doing really well though. I'm following WW points and making very

healthy food choices. I hope everyone is doing great. I'll let all of you

know what happens on Wed.

Hello:

My name is Mary. I am from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Salisbury. I was banded on Aug 29, 2007. I am 44 years old and work for the government. It's going slow for me too. I have lost 28 pounds so far. Our doctor told us not to get on the scale at all. He doesn't want us to be upset over a number. He says its a maraton not a sprint. We have a gym in his office. I go there at least 3 times a week for 1 1/2 hours. I would love to go more but, can't seem to do it. I have 2 kids, a daughter 22, and son 19. I did this for me and thank god my husband was very supportive. I also didn't tell anyone about my surgery. My husband and I were the only ones who knew. I did it on a vacation week, so I wouldn't have to say anything at work.

People are starting to ask questions now and they watch everything I put in my mouth. A couple of people have asked if i had "that weight loss surgery". I hate lying but it is none of their business. I say diet and exercise. I love that people notice......

I have had 2 fills and so far so good. This last one is really working for me. I can't eat but maybe a cup of food. It is the head games that get to me. I really want it but can't eat it.

I love my band!!!!!!:girl_hug: