Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, AZhiker said:

As I have said before, as a GI nurse, I have seen the horrible effects of alcohol on post WLS patients - even years down the road. Those surgical tissues remain fragile and vulnerable. There is nothing like alcohol or NSAIDS to totally erode and ulcerate the tissues. The worst ulcers i have ever seen are on WLS patients who return to alcohol. It's not worth it, but if you want to play with fire, that is your choice. You may well end up with a bleeding, potentially life threatening, GI emergency. You have gone through too much for that. If you felt your life was worth having surgery for, then your life is certainly worth giving up alcohol for.

Is that true for the sleeve as well? Any studies I can read? Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is especially bad where there is an anastomosis, as in bypass. These are where I have seen the worst ulcers. Look up "gastric sleeve and ulcers" and see what you find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I will probably get a lot of kick back from this, but here it goes. Alcohol seems to be such a compromising issue for so many folks. The truth of the matter is, that NO amount of alcohol is good for you. Yes, there are antioxidants in red wine, but even very light alcohol consumption increases risk of throat, mouth, and GI cancers. Alcohol is a very strong chemical that is damaging to living tissue. Period. Think about why an alcohol swab is used on your skin before a shot. It cleans and kills. There is absolutely no reason for a bariatric patient, of all people, to drink alcohol. Yet, it is so hard to make the total break. It is the same argument I hear all the time with patients who smoke - "I just smoke 5 cigarettes a day," "I just smoke a pack every week," "I just smoke socially." When we all know that ANY amount of smoking is not good for health.

All I am saying is that if we make this huge effort to improve our health with WLS, and we are willing to make total lifestyle changes to be successful in the long run for life, why do we try to compromise and flirt with seeing how much we can get away with concerning alcohol? Is it our addictive nature? Is it social pressure? It is a bit of rebellion? I believe it is a issue that is worth exploring deeply for each person and really asking the hard questions about WHY it is so important to continue drinking at all when there is absolutely no benefit, and only harm that can result.

So fire away at me. I've said my 2 cent's worth and won't bring it up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AZhiker, fair question. In my case, I like it and I also don't feel like I need to do EVERYTHING perfectly, just most things. However, I don't want an ulcer and will be reading more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my surgeon says 6 months but even then it should be minimal. we also signed an agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/01/2019 at 08:16, AZhiker said:



So I will probably get a lot of kick back from this, but here it goes. Alcohol seems to be such a compromising issue for so many folks. The truth of the matter is, that NO amount of alcohol is good for you. Yes, there are antioxidants in red wine, but even very light alcohol consumption increases risk of throat, mouth, and GI cancers. Alcohol is a very strong chemical that is damaging to living tissue. Period. Think about why an alcohol swab is used on your skin before a shot. It cleans and kills. There is absolutely no reason for a bariatric patient, of all people, to drink alcohol. Yet, it is so hard to make the total break. It is the same argument I hear all the time with patients who smoke - "I just smoke 5 cigarettes a day," "I just smoke a pack every week," "I just smoke socially." When we all know that ANY amount of smoking is not good for health.




All I am saying is that if we make this huge effort to improve our health with WLS, and we are willing to make total lifestyle changes to be successful in the long run for life, why do we try to compromise and flirt with seeing how much we can get away with concerning alcohol? Is it our addictive nature? Is it social pressure? It is a bit of rebellion? I believe it is a issue that is worth exploring deeply for each person and really asking the hard questions about WHY it is so important to continue drinking at all when there is absolutely no benefit, and only harm that can result.




So fire away at me. I've said my 2 cent's worth and won't bring it up again.






This all makes perfect sense.

That being said I’ve always loved wine and never will stop loving it.
One thing that’s changed is that I’ve had to change to whites rather than reds. Now the reds really irritate my stomach.

I also try to limit myself to one drinking day per week (as opposed to 5-6 days pre surgery)
The empty calories suck, but I’d rather eat less during the week and have a glass or two of vino weekly to deal with life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AZhiker said:

So I will probably get a lot of kick back from this, but here it goes. Alcohol seems to be such a compromising issue for so many folks. The truth of the matter is, that NO amount of alcohol is good for you. Yes, there are antioxidants in red wine, but even very light alcohol consumption increases risk of throat, mouth, and GI cancers. Alcohol is a very strong chemical that is damaging to living tissue. Period. Think about why an alcohol swab is used on your skin before a shot. It cleans and kills. There is absolutely no reason for a bariatric patient, of all people, to drink alcohol. Yet, it is so hard to make the total break. It is the same argument I hear all the time with patients who smoke - "I just smoke 5 cigarettes a day," "I just smoke a pack every week," "I just smoke socially." When we all know that ANY amount of smoking is not good for health.

All I am saying is that if we make this huge effort to improve our health with WLS, and we are willing to make total lifestyle changes to be successful in the long run for life, why do we try to compromise and flirt with seeing how much we can get away with concerning alcohol? Is it our addictive nature? Is it social pressure? It is a bit of rebellion? I believe it is a issue that is worth exploring deeply for each person and really asking the hard questions about WHY it is so important to continue drinking at all when there is absolutely no benefit, and only harm that can result.

So fire away at me. I've said my 2 cent's worth and won't bring it up again.

Okay so i have too push back alittle im sorry. My sister in law had throat cancer and shes always been hard core in the mormon religion so she has never even tryed alcohol yet she got it. What ever your experience with alchohol in life if its cause you been there done that or in the medical field or whatever doesnt mean alchohol is all bad maybe ur very religious or maybe like you said know information about it causeing ulcers in WLS patients. But everyone in the world you will see some get cancer others dont. My husband was told by his docter that he has a smokers lung and if he was smoking alot and he hasnt ever even tryed smoking and he doesnt drink nor knows anyone who smokes. It just depends on the persons background , genes, personality and life choices but alcohol isnt all bad. I bet i could take a question to say 7 docters and 5 out of those docters would say something is bad but the other 2 dont think its bad at all. Everything is taken in moderation and there experiences they go threw.

There are about a thousand of things i do everyweek that could leave me to some sort of sickness, disease or what not later in life if thats for puting to much i cant believe spray butter on my food or eating to many red foods or not washing my fruit completely to make sure i get rid of pesticides i choice to live my best life my way. That means do what makes me happy! My choices my life.

My father passed away from early on set alzheimers and died at 62 and was diagnosed at 52 with the disease so many people say if u drink this kinda Water it will help so you dont get the disease and if u eat a certain food it will help with brain power but really it comes down to the unknown why he got this disease and just to many facters to figure it out. At least he had a good life and lived it his best. I can only hope at the end of the day i can be happy with myself and my choices. Thats all that matters.. i choice to drink alcohol occasionally and its delicious and i dont regret it one bit. Wish every one best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my first drinks over 8 months out at a wedding. It didn't take much and it hit me rather fast. Eating something took it all away. But having another drink brought it all back full force. Then I ate something else and it was gone. It was a strange experience for me. I didn't have any hang over the next day or anything. I had about 4 drinks over the course of the evening. I was never really a drinker, I would drink maybe once every 5 years or at some social event that I was uncomfortable at because of my size and needed liquid courage to get through the event.

I don't think I will have transfer addiction because of it and I don't crave another drink. Everything in moderation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t. Please just don’t. It’s not worth it.

I used to be morbidly obese. Now I’m skinny.

And an alcoholic.

Every day is a fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding alcohol consumption we were just warned to "try it at home the first time" since some people get a really strong reaction to alcohol.

I don't know when we were cleared to try alcohol, can't remember since I only drink occasionally anyway and didn't pay much attention to when, what and how much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/02/2019 at 13:37, _Kate_ said:



Don’t. Please just don’t. It’s not worth it.




I used to be morbidly obese. Now I’m skinny.




And an alcoholic.




Every day is a fight.


I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: transfer addictions:

I’ve known a couple of WLS friends who have experienced alcoholism as a transference.
My advice to anyone with ANY kind of addiction that they suspect might be due to transference seek the help of a therapist.

Before WLS I drank 5-6 days a week. Usually it was in moderation, but there were times I would’ve had what I called “too much” 1-2 times monthly.
After WLS that has changed, but I didn’t turn into a teetotaler either.
I still have my “usual” alcohol cravings— like when you have a work shift straight from the depths of hell and by-Gawd need a glass (or bottle) of wine to make it better—kinds of cravings.

I actually drink much less often and much less volume than I did prior to WLS —much like I eat less often and less volume. I’m okay with this and plan on living like this for the rest of my life.

For me, balance is key and quite honestly would be extremely depressed if I thought I could never have another glass of wine or a bit of bourbon over ice again in my life.
I’d rather never have another bite of Pasta, bread, rice,potatoes (things I still haven’t had yet since WLS) than forgo the occasional cocktail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

** Mandatory Disclaimer: This is my experience and I neither recommend nor advise against drinking to anyone who chooses to read this. The choice to drink or not to drink is yours, and yours alone, and any consequences or benefits you encounter are also yours and yours alone. **

So pre-wls I drank, and post-wls I still do. I was never (nor am I now) a drinker because I needed something to help me unwind or relax or take my mind off things. I drink because I'm having a dinner that calls for it, or I'm with friends/family and a good time is being had (or about to be had, lol). I guess I'm more of a binge drinker...?

Had my first drink (1/4 of a glass of red wine) at around 4-5 weeks. The past couple weeks aside (as I'm consciously laying off the alcohol for a couple more weeks as a PPI-wean-off experiment), and not counting alcohol-laden vacations, I probably have 1 day every couple of weeks where I'll drink maybe 5-6-7 drinks over the course of the evening. And maybe 1/2 a glass of wine with dinner one or 2 days a week.

My choice of liquor though is a lot lower sugar than it used to be. The dryest of red wines, vodka sodas, skinny mojitos, straight tequila. Once in a while I'll drink a sugar-laden something or other, but the sugar doesn't sit well with me, so I need to be mindful of that.

In terms of volume, I drank waaaaaay more pre-wls. This is likely because I get pretty drunk pretty fast now. I do however, sober up really quickly. Which I think is pretty awesome. For those who have previously experienced the need for assistance in walking out of establishments after a night out, you can vouch for this as an honest-to-goodness super-power.

With that said, so long as I feel like my drinking (or any habit, really) is not negatively impacting my physical or mental health, my relationships, work, financial state, or any other important aspect in my life, then its all good.

Each one of us should strive to know ourselves and acknowledge what we are capable and not capable of. It would be good to learn our limits so we can stay within them.

P.S. I recently admitted that I went beyond a personal-vice limit myself (smoking), and am addressing that issue now. Work in progress...

** Read Mandatory Disclaimer Above **

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 1-2 drinks maybe 3-5 days a week. Some days I have 1 daily. Occasionally I have more like when I went to Vegas. I just make sure I’m not driving because how it hits me is unpredictable and I make sure I use low calorie mixers and include it in my daily macros. I found FitVine and it’s damn good wine for lower carbs and keeps the alcohol content like normal wines. After my sleeve my first drink was about 3 months out (had 1 for thanksgiving). After sleeve revision I waited a couple months. I’ve had a complication that’s either ulcers or something else (getting my cat scanned Thursday). So for now I’ve put away all coffee, alcohol and most caffeine but I’m a slave to Diet Coke so I have one every other day. I’m secretly hoping it’s some easy to fix complication vs ulcers because I desperately need to start using my topical NSAID for a double shoulder repair. No pain meds and I’m suffering!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/02/2019 at 22:45, ms.sss said:



** Mandatory Disclaimer: This is my experience and I neither recommend nor advise against drinking to anyone who chooses to read this. The choice to drink or not to drink is yours, and yours alone, and any consequences or benefits you encounter are also yours and yours alone. **




So pre-wls I drank, and post-wls I still do. I was never (nor am I now) a drinker because I needed something to help me unwind or relax or take my mind off things. I drink because I'm having a dinner that calls for it, or I'm with friends/family and a good time is being had (or about to be had, lol). I guess I'm more of a binge drinker...?




Had my first drink (1/4 of a glass of red wine) at around 4-5 weeks. The past couple weeks aside (as I'm consciously laying off the alcohol for a couple more weeks as a PPI-wean-off experiment), and not counting alcohol-laden vacations, I probably have 1 day every couple of weeks where I'll drink maybe 5-6-7 drinks over the course of the evening. And maybe 1/2 a glass of wine with dinner one or 2 days a week.




My choice of liquor though is a lot lower sugar than it used to be. The dryest of red wines, vodka sodas, skinny mojitos, straight tequila. Once in a while I'll drink a sugar-laden something or other, but the sugar doesn't sit well with me, so I need to be mindful of that.




In terms of volume, I drank waaaaaay more pre-wls. This is likely because I get pretty drunk pretty fast now. I do however, sober up really quickly. Which I think is pretty awesome. For those who have previously experienced the need for assistance in walking out of establishments after a night out, you can vouch for this as an honest-to-goodness super-power.




With that said, so long as I feel like my drinking (or any habit, really) is not negatively impacting my physical or mental health, my relationships, work, financial state, or any other important aspect in my life, then its all good.




Each one of us should strive to know ourselves and acknowledge what we are capable and not capable of. It would be good to learn our limits so we can stay within them.




P.S. I recently admitted that I went beyond a personal-vice limit myself (smoking), and am addressing that issue now. Work in progress...




** Read Mandatory Disclaimer Above **






This is mostly how I feel about drinking.
Every single time I’ve indulged it’s been with forethought.
When I had a horrible night Thursday, I thought about opening a bottle, then realized that I didn’t have the calorie allowance for it, and my eating window (I practice IF) had closed for the day anyways so I had a hot tea (with a packet of truvia) instead.

I did have a mis-step this week and went for an extra margarita and skipped dinner, but that was a choice I’ve only made about 3-4 times in the last 9 months and I can live with it.

As long as I can enjoy the occasional night out and alcohol indulgence without gaining weight and wrecking maintenance, I’m totally fine with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      Me: Hey Siri, Is it raining outside? (for my morning walks with the dogs)
      Siri: I don't think it's raining at the moment.
      Wet Dogs: Then why are we wet? This damn Siri person is more stupid than we are.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Billy Bob  »  lvidacovich

      Drink Muscle Milk. lol  Gt 60 to 90 gm quality Protein & daily vitimins, good sleep, walking & resistant ( weight /bands/squats ) You absolutely build muscle. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      I received my nutrition book and checklist today! I am so very excited (and a tad bit scared too) Each day this is becoming a reality!
      I created a new blog post about how BRAVE we all are for doing this. Because I think we are! Most of us know the horrors of people calling us nasty names, saying we can't control ourselves, we are easy targets for people's verbal attacks! But I feel we are BRAVE because we are taking control over our lives and creating a new world of happiness.

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      Today I scheduled my mental evaluation and my nutritionist appointments. Yes, we are moving along quiet nice.  December 9th will be here before you know it.
      I have informed my inner circle of family about the surgery and I will be keeping it in my CORE!

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • drac2you

      Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but my journey continues. As for breaking my stall, I was able to get down to 214 with the help of a friend via our Fitbit fitness trackers which has made me ecstatic! Since that has happened I was fortunate enough to have my insurance company approve a panniculectomy to remove the panniculus (THIS is the correct term, NOT pannus, see this reference: https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/panniculus) that has been deviling me for years, even before I had bariatric surgery. It was to the point that it was hanging down far enough to cover my pubic area, covered half my thighs when I would sit, and also drooped between my legs which I could hardly manage to keep together when sitting. For any males that may read this, for a woman that is pretty uncivilized, not to mention, unladylike especially when wearing a dress or skirt - just looks slovenly to say the least. Despite the numerous skin issues I had the last couple of years, my health insurance insisted the procedure was cosmetic... 🤐 . I would guess no one that is saying so has been in the bariatric patient's shoes. The damn thing was just getting to be a self-esteem killer in addition to a medical nuisance requiring many visits to my primary care physician, and interfering with my mobility. Now, I realize there are folks with more egregious panniculus sag issues, but the fact that it interferes with mobility is an important consideration.
      One thing I have to say is that this surgery is drastically different from any other I've had. Things occur that are deemed routine, expected even, after a panniculectomy that would be downright unacceptable after any other procedure. This plastic surgery experience is definitely a learning experience that is still unfolding as I key this entry. For one thing, the swelling is a story all it's own, I had no clue my abdomen could get so large, so quickly, without causing my skin to just split open - it's crazy! So far, I'm pleased to have been able to get this procedure despite may be perceived as drawbacks, just to get the pendulous adipose tissue demon off of my person. Here are a few links to information about this procedure for anyone considering it in the future:
      https://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/panniculectomy/ https://www.healthline.com/health/panniculectomy https://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/tummy-tuck/panniculectomy/ https://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/panniculectomy/safety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499822/ I hope you find this information helpful. I will provide updates periodically on my progress of this surgical recovery. Have a wonderful day! 
      · 2 replies
      1. Panda333

        Thank you and good luck to you!

      2. SabrinaGoddess

        WOW, thank you for sharing all this with us!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×