Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Plastic Surgery Thread

This month, I have begun serious research, assessing costs, time lines and interviewing plastic surgeons. I am so grateful for this thread. No one can truly understand this journey or its unique stages. I am looking into a breast lift and Tummy Tuck to address the abdominal loose skin. I can live with the bat wing arms. I have met with two surgeons thus far. One wants to do a belt, the other much less invasive. Tomorrow, I visit a female surgeon. I really liked the surgeon I met today, but he is booked thru August 2020 unless a cancellation - which is doubtful given his excellent reputation. I had hoped to have surgery this winter to allow for plenty healing time before our 25th anniversary gala May 17, 2020. While I know everyone heals differently - do you think procedures done in January or February give enough time? I am still loosing currently, and am aware of the 3-6-9 or 12 year wait thru maintenance for plastics. Do you feel that is a definite hard and fast rule? Am I rushing this too much? How did you know your personal target weight? I think I might be an inches girl more than weight? I have adopted healthy eating and 100 oz. Water per day down. I adhere strictly to the wisdom + suggestions from The Obesity Code, Big Ass Salads and A Pound of Cure. I found each author and book refreshing, vindicating and honest... After years of struggle, frustration and mixed messages managing a serious weight problem. Your thoughts and experience would be so much appreciated. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

@Sheribear68 Hopefully we didn’t jack the thread from @sillykitty though I think no matter our starting weight we all will face this sometime in the journey. I’m still sorting through a lot of issues and the prospect or hope of removing saggy skin is one of them but not the biggest issue. I hide it with compression Capri, pants or shorts which had a main purpose of being recommend for orthostatic intolerance aka pots or what other name it goes by, but you can’t wear that in a swimming pool. Or make you feel better about excess weight still in thighs and belly. Along with sagging skin.

They put my height too high at 5’ 2” at best I’m 5’ 0” at most half inch more ... my mom is only slightly shorter. She weighs 100 lbs. she is able to be more active.

I posted middle of the night last time and then jerked awake thinking but this site isn’t private and neither are our conversations really but nothing is private and we all are dealing with similar issues. Not all the same but sometimes similar.

i actually wanted to start a thread on unexpected or overwhelming wins but losses at the same time. And can’t decide if I should.

it wasn’t this topic but ...

has anyone discussed plastic surgery with their bariatric surgeon? I think unless it’s a huge amount of skin they don’t see it has an issue? But for us it is. I know someone who could benefit from RNY but he isn’t in the head space to do it. But he has very high BMI, blood pressure, diabetes, needs knee replacement, etc, but he comments every time he sees me about my surgery and how he thinks I should feel.

my journey isn’t a normal one to compare to.

all the best to sillykitty on your journey too. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Definitely start a new thread so this doesn't get lost in the shuffle 💙

On 11/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, sillykitty said:

Small update:

I'm within my 30 day to surgery window. I started all of the pre op testing required by both my surgeon and my pcp. Waiting for the blood work results for my pcp to sign off on my surgical release. Then later this week I have a mammogram. Assuming all turns out as expected, that should be it until surgery day!

As a side note ... I don't really have a PCP. I have one I chose for my insurance, but I have never seen her. I just don't have any health issues, and never have had a need to go. My chosen PCP was off the day of my appt, so I saw another physician in the office. He was pretty damn condescending about plastic surgery. He lectured me about having my health was the most important thing, and my skin "isn't very bad at all" Uhhh, thanks, but I'm the one having to live with it. He also disapproved of my using an out of state surgeon. So guess who's going to be selecting a new PCP? 🤣

Most definitely. He took liberties, I feel, from a point of arrogance and ignorance! The extra skin on our newer figures is not simply a vanity issue as he implied (what a twit) - Especially for us petite body types... I've noted this extra skin weighs me down, effects my balance and posture. Tight foundations are not healthy for our organs. Corsets be damned for the previous women of yesteryear. Can you even image being tied up in one for the sake of fashion! I also find a size smaller pant (not the stretchy kind) is more appropriate - if not for all the tummy flesh and muffin top dilemma. I hope he did not steal your joy and anticipation. Will just call him Dr. Clueless.

Oh Silly Kitty, I do apologize for posting tonight my new adventure in plastics and questions asked on your thread. I just now read the title of the thread, and back read several posts. It was not my intention to impose here or post inappropriately. So sorry. Perhaps, there is a general plastic surgery thread? I'll look for one.

2 hours ago, Sophie7713 said:

This month, I have begun serious research, assessing costs, time lines and interviewing plastic surgeons. I am so grateful for this thread. No one can truly understand this journey or its unique stages. I am looking into a breast lift and Tummy Tuck to address the abdominal loose skin. I can live with the bat wing arms. I have met with two surgeons thus far. One wants to do a belt, the other much less invasive. Tomorrow, I visit a female surgeon. I really liked the surgeon I met today, but he is booked thru August 2020 unless a cancellation - which is doubtful given his excellent reputation. I had hoped to have surgery this winter to allow for plenty healing time before our 25th anniversary gala May 17, 2020. While I know everyone heals differently - do you think procedures done in January or February give enough time? I am still loosing currently, and am aware of the 3-6-9 or 12 year wait thru maintenance for plastics. Do you feel that is a definite hard and fast rule? Am I rushing this too much? How did you know your personal target weight? I think I might be an inches girl more than weight? I have adopted healthy eating and 100 oz. Water per day down. I adhere strictly to the wisdom + suggestions from The Obesity Code, Big Ass Salads and A Pound of Cure. I found each author and book refreshing, vindicating and honest... After years of struggle, frustration and mixed messages managing a serious weight problem. Your thoughts and experience would be so much appreciated. Thank you.

I think it’s ok to post here if you aren’t ready to start your own. I kind of stepped in a lot of posts too. I don’t want to wait for plastic surgery but my body might have other plans. We do what we can when we are ready. They say to be as close to goal as possible and be able to maintain it. I personally feel getting rid of the extra skin will help me feel more likely to maintain. I’ve struggled for a long time. Some fat can’t be lost without liposuction along with skin removal. And all depends what shape we wish to have.

No worries about hijacking this post, it's all good! I agree if anyone wants answers from a broader group then is participating in this thread, then their own post would be advised.

Isn't it funny, we all have our ideal body type. Mine is total 50's pin up, wasp waist and curves for days!

I wasn't put off at all about what my pcp for the day had to say. It was just annoying he would presume to know more than I do about my body or plastics. Just a bummer to choose another dr.'s office. I've never been to this one in 3+ years, but it is walking distance from my house!

As far as timing of plastics. My answer now is very different than it would have been a year ago. I was super impatient for plastics, as I am about most things in life 🤣. I am grateful I am having this surgery at 22 months out vs. 10 months or even 18 months.

First, no one can really predict where their final weight will end up at. We've seen it repeatedly in the maintenance thread, people think they are permanently stalled out, or have happily reach goal but then drop some more. And for me, those last 15-20 lbs made a HUGE physical difference. (RIP boobs & butt :( ) Getting a breast aug when I was 10 lbs heavier would have been disasteroius.

Also even though I have been within a 5 lb range for 10 or so months, my body has shifted and changed. I can't put my finger on exactly how. But I know my butt has kinda slid down, in a not very attractive way 😂. Also my waist has gotten smaller, potentially also having slid into my pooch? I can mainly tell because some of my favorite clothes from 9 months ago are now a little baggy :(

So my advice from an (incomplete) study of 1 ... I'd really suggest being at a stable weight for at least 6 months. I really think the result will be better if your body is more settled.

3 hours ago, sillykitty said:

As far as timing of plastics. My answer now is very different than it would have been a year ago. I was super impatient for plastics, as I am about most things in life 🤣. I am grateful I am having this surgery at 22 months out vs. 10 months or even 18 months.

First, no one can really predict where their final weight will end up at. We've seen it repeatedly in the maintenance thread, people think they are permanently stalled out, or have happily reach goal but then drop some more. And for me, those last 15-20 lbs made a HUGE physical difference. (RIP boobs & butt :( ) Getting a breast aug when I was 10 lbs heavier would have been disasteroius.

Also even though I have been within a 5 lb range for 10 or so months, my body has shifted and changed. I can't put my finger on exactly how. But I know my butt has kinda slid down, in a not very attractive way 😂. Also my waist has gotten smaller, potentially also having slid into my pooch? I can mainly tell because some of my favorite clothes from 9 months ago are now a little baggy :(

So my advice from an (incomplete) study of 1 ... I'd really suggest being at a stable weight for at least 6 months. I really think the result will be better if your body is more settled.

I agree with all of this. So many people seem to drop 10-20 lbs below where they think they're going to end up - or at least temporarily, anyway, and then there are lots of people who have a 10-20 lb rebound once they think they've hit their goal weight....and often that doesn't occur until c. 3 years out. Plus things do sometimes shift around for many of us, even if we manage to stay the same weight. I think you're better off waiting - although I know how you feel - I was impatient, too (however, I didn't have plastic surgery until I was 3 and 3.5 years out (I had it in two phases)). At that point, I figured I was safe.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:39, sillykitty said:

No worries about hijacking this post, it's all good! I agree if anyone wants answers from a broader group then is participating in this thread, then their own post would be advised.

Isn't it funny, we all have our ideal body type. Mine is total 50's pin up, wasp waist and curves for days!

I wasn't put off at all about what my pcp for the day had to say. It was just annoying he would presume to know more than I do about my body or plastics. Just a bummer to choose another dr.'s office. I've never been to this one in 3+ years, but it is walking distance from my house!

Thanks for this insight.

Lol, so even though we desire different body types, we can agree that plastics are the final “reward” for all of the hard work and dedication that we’ve gone through.

Confession: when I was 13, I first learned about cellulite.
I learned about it when I was in a changing room with other middle school girls and I was literally the only girl to have it—massive amounts to the point where one of my friends legit asked me what in the world was “all that”.
I was 5’6” and probably not even 120 pounds and I had cellulite on top of cellulite.
I also had DDDs, which garnered all kinds of attention I didn’t want and never asked for and quite frankly it overwhelmed me most of the time.
At the time I was playing volleyball and that’s probably one of the very last times I wore short-shorts in either public or private.
Meanwhile my cousins and siblings are all long-limbed, naturally lean, and have zero weird pockets of cellulite on their limbs.

After a much-needed facelift, I’m going to get these damn thighs/knees worked on and I don’t care how painful the procedure is or how long the recovery process it.
I’ll be damned if I get to a size 6/8 again and still have shame on half my body.

Lol, waiting will be tough, but I do know I need another 10-12 months (outside of a facelift) for anything else.
Sigh..., yet another summer of not being able to wear shorts or a swimsuit. 😔

5 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

After a much-needed facelift, I’m going to get these damn thighs/knees worked on and I don’t care how painful the procedure is or how long the recovery process it.
I’ll be damned if I get to a size 6/8 again and still have shame on half my body.

Lol, waiting will be tough, but I do know I need another 10-12 months (outside of a facelift) for anything else.
Sigh..., yet another summer of not being able to wear shorts or a swimsuit. 😔

I totally get this ...

Long term I anticipate getting a face lift. Post plastics, I have a super duper big important week long meeting. I'm considering getting a peel and or hydrodermabrasian + nasolabial fold filler. Like a tiny mini face lift :)

But I also encourage you to be at a stable weight for facial plastics as well. I was just looking through pics of when my bf and I first met 15 months ago, I was +20 lbs-ish, my face changed sooo dramatically. (Almost as dramatically as my boobs! 🤣)

I also get the knee and thigh thing. I don't love my knees, and I hate my thighs. I'm curious to see how much they will improve from the LBL (I don't expect my knees to improve much, if at all). I really don't see myself ever getting a thigh lift :(

Yeah the facelift thing is something I’d love to get done late-spring/early summer.
My face is actually fairly slimmed now and mostly it’s the turkey neck and droopy jowels I need gone.
Wrinkles,have never bothered me, oddly enough. I just want clean contours around the jawline.

Thank you, ladies, for you're honest and sincere input! I respect and value everything each have said and the insight your experience renders. I will definitely compare all the pro and cons. (I also love playing scrabble, and am a big To Do List girl, too!) Whenever I need to make a major decision personally or professionally, I literally write out two columns, one pro and one con. It's a great way for the subject matter at hand to become crystal clear on paper.

That said, I absolutely bonded today with the female plastic surgeon and her staff. I never sensed they were selling surgery. I asked for a thorough exam with an honest evaluation and answers to my concerns which were raised here on the thread. I expressed my goals were not for a body beautiful. I'm now 60 and realistic. My hubby and I joke, I'll be like Mrs. Frankenstein 2020! The current severely sagging, elongated breasts (boy, now that's a pretty picture) are now causing back pain; a bit of a hunch back is forming; and two rolls of abdominal skin causing posture imbalance, rash and bones to protrude now that my frame has become relatively small. None were issues before when I was big and plump, as the weight balanced out everything proportionately, surgeon noted. With careful examination of my entire body in the raw - she did not wish me to loose much more weight feeling I'd crossover to gaunt. Nor felt the weight on the scale was an accurate measurement of my body frame and type. She concluded, I was an excellent candidate with a great underlying structure in good health, and addressing the loose skin now was a good thing. We met for over an hour discussing this, good nutrition and other relevant topics. My appointment lasted 2 ½ hours. I felt them professional, thorough and attentive to the sleeve nuances. The surgeon was quite confident and enthusiastic about sculpting me to my personal finish line. She loved and was inspired by the 25th gala gown design sketch for May 2020 - I had shared on the OOTD thread.

Call me rebel, guinea pig, stupid or a trail blazer - but I scheduled my breast lift and a fleur de lis Tummy Tuck for this winter, January 2020 with exparel pain medication to deaden nerves that first week. They were most forthright to my questions for recovery time + post surgery pain + uncomfortableness given the sometimes precarious vertical and horizontal lower abdominal intersection that can sometimes cause healing complications. Hopefully, that will not be my plight. I am to use a walker and not stand erect for the first few weeks until that particular incision shows healthy healing. An arduous endeavor. Hubby and I will go to pre-op appointment. However, we will continue to proceed with caution and remain attentive. As a super responder (Dr. Weiner's term) as I think many of us are here - I was actually a very jovial, active in my field, former professional full-figure model, fit, sturdy overweight who ate fairly healthy (until reading the obesity code, a real eye opener to the toxic foods we thought were good for us like 21st century breeds of brown rice, whole wheat bread and wheat Pasta + all white powders, like cocaine, just kidding!...) and exercised regularly. No real obesity issues accept left knee joint pain from previous injuries (ergo, the penchant for flat shoes) as a runner exasperated by too much weight. Even heavy, I strived to be my best possible self BUT no doubt, my good fortune would eventually run out moving into older adulthood. The sleeve has addressed the metabolic disease beautifully. I remain cautiously optimistic about this next phase. My former Miami modeling agency has asked if I'd be interested in registering as a relatable, older adult petite woman. Absolutely, of course. You often get to keep the clothing you model. Fun! Just no high heels...

Oh, and I thought this definition + history was way cool: Plastikos - Greek root to mold or give form. Egypt 3000 BC first historical evidence of plastic surgeon pioneers caring for facial wounds via duels and jousts. 1800's better tools and techniques invented. WWI becoming prominent for wounded soldiers. 1950's thru today, an established art and science with continuing advances with modern technologies. My surgeon is 10 years practiced, yet on the cutting edge. Not too young or too old. Interviewed three surgeons, will cancel the last two interviews.

Did not mean to write a novel...

7 hours ago, Sophie7713 said:

I was actually a very jovial, active in my field, former professional full-figure model

I KNEW IT!

I knew you HAD to have had actually made money on your money-maker (your ridiculously awesome photogenic smile).

---------------------

More importantly...so excited for you with your upcoming surgery and the fact that you feel completely comfortable with your surgical team (very important :) )

Can't wait to see the results...AND your subsequent modelling shots!

Edited by ms.sss

I’m trying to catch up on emails coming from BariatricPal. Such a tiring morning with a dr appointment that didn’t go as planned, needing to return shorts and a jacket for a smaller size in Kohl’s. And groceries. And now having a late Breakfast lunch. While thinking about a comment someone made to me last night. My mother’s boyfriend (at Bingo) commented on my weight When I took my jacket off, which I hate. And I said to a friend of my mother’s I lost almost 80lbs. She said at least it doesn’t look like I have loose skin, I said oh but I do. And her answer was at your age you can exercise to tighten up.

I didn’t answer, i couldn’t, but in my head I’m thinking

A. Not at my age now,

b. Not when I can’t exercise and

c. Even though my current compression pants hide it i desperately want thigh tuck to wear normal shorts and maybe even skirts. Thinking big I’d love a Tummy Tuck and liposuction and other things but I’m in the dilemma of not having funds. Unless I apply for special credit and go to BariatricPal Mx hospital.

given my medical history it should not be priority but my thighs are so ugly (the worst part for me) and a lot of extra belly skin. My neck isn’t too bad I use bio oil I think and always exfoliate and moisturize. Plus not much sun exposure lately. I’d love to be comfortable to get in the pool (though chlorine hates me) my chemical sensitivities put a kink in my treatment plan at my doctor. And will need more doctors appointments and to deal with my bad knees, degenerative scoliosis, degenerative si joints, degenerative discs, etc. I haven’t look at my butt I’d rather not know right now.

but the thigh swelling, wrinkling sagging, belly swelling extra skin are causing pain too. It just says heavy on my frame and kind of makes me sad when I want to just rest without too much clothes on and not feel disgusted.

ive always felt the need to just stay covered.

Edited by Darktowerdream

Checking in .... headed east right now. Surgery is tomorrow! 😳

I think I'm all prepared. I had a bunch of stuff shipped to the hotel. Going to go grocery shopping when we arrive. Tried to get caught up on work as much as possible, as I'm not sure how functional I will be the first few days.

In other news. I mentioned that my mom and I are both squeamish about blood, guts and gore. She found a skilled nursing service we can use if needed. The drain clearing and even more so the blood thinner injections are intimidating for us. So it will be nice to have a fall back option. But I want it to be a last resort because it's not cheap!

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm nervous. I'm not nervous at all. I'm anxious and afraid of the pain. I am worried about how long it will take me to recover and work and travel again. I have a small amount of anxiety about my results (just from reading tons and seeing some bad results!). But that's about it. My mom and bf are FAR more nervous than I am!