Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grilled cheese alternative?

So today I had my first strong craving for a food. I’m 3 weeks out and don’t plan on going back to bread at all bc I know it’s a very big weakness for me. Any suggestions for a grilled cheese alternative?
I made pretzels with Protein Powder, egg whites and psyllium powder the other day but I don’t know if I can use this same recipe to make a fake bread.
Anyone find an alternative to this that was good?

You are 3 weeks. Probably on puree? What is on your plan from your doctor? Follow it. Don't skip ahead.

This is the time you should be killing your cravings. Max your honeymoon period. Don't look for substitutes for crap foods. Don't prolong that taste craving!

Let me repeat. You are 3 weeks.

Maybe the better question for yourself is a reminder question:

"Why did I have surgery"?

The end.

Wow. I didn’t ask for a verbal lashing. I posted in recipes with a question. I am on soft foods. I have followed all my doctors orders and don’t need to be reminded of why I had surgery thank you very much. Aa0

I didn’t say I was making it tonight but I was asking for suggestions because it was a strong craving that hit me today in between my egg salad and shredded chicken chili I had for dinner.

I noticed a tendency of new members to be ridiculed for not being part of the “wls elite” on this site. I have seen you and several others make nasty posts to new members asking questions. Some may be trolls. Some may not. I didn’t ask for a coach to yell at me. I have a dr and a nutritionist. I asked for suggestions.
The assumption by some people here that we all are the same and need the same tough love and scolding is obnoxious. I don’t need scolded. I’m working my plan and asked an innocent question. You jumped on me for it so I probably won’t post in here again. Thanks for that. Now I’m sure 10 people will like your comment so you don’t get your feathers ruffled bc you all are the BP elite and sit higher than everyone else here to judge. Incidentally, I lost nearly 100 pounds on my own several years ago with diet and exercise. I know how to eat. I also lost a child and both my parents and used food as a coping mechanism instead of more dangerous choices. I quit smoking and had three children and and was under tremendous stress and gained. I could not get all the weight off this time and was concerned for my health. That’s why I had MY surgery. Not because I eat Fritos all day.

Absolutely NO verbal bashing. Just someone who has been where you are. You are. Three. Weeks. Out. Follow your doc's plan for you.

I'm sorry you've had such a tough go. I am. But we ALL have had a tough go. We all live life. Life is f**king hard.

Edited by FluffyChix

And I have been. Posting. Like. This. Has. A tone. To. It. So you can say it isn’t bashing but when you say I repeat myself and finish a comment with The end. Your tone is condescending and implied.
It’s ok. I am not one of “your crew” here so carry on. I just won’t post anymore but you might consider that bc some people won’t call you out. They will just delete their account.

Maybe make some cheese crisps or something like that to help with the cravings? Is it the cheese or the bread you want? if it's cheese, you can easily have that (even at 3 weeks I am thinking you can have something since you are on soft foods); if it's bread you may be SOL.....bread is the devil though :)

13 hours ago, djgirl19 said:

So today I had my first strong craving for a food. I’m 3 weeks out and don’t plan on going back to bread at all bc I know it’s a very big weakness for me. Any suggestions for a grilled cheese alternative?
I made pretzels with Protein Powder, egg whites and psyllium powder the other day but I don’t know if I can use this same recipe to make a fake bread.< br /> Anyone find an alternative to this that was good?

I'm not sure what you're saying is a trigger. Is it just "real" bread that you intend to avoid? Or just the carbs? Because the problem is if bread is your weakness, you may not do any better with a substitute. A good substitute may trigger the same cravings as the real thing. And a poor substitute isn't worth eating 😥

Could you use Cloud bread with your cheese? I saw recipes for that on YouTube, sounds easy to make.

It was the flavor/texture of biting into a gooey cheesy sandwich. I can certainly wait 3-6 or however many weeks to make something, probably much longer. I wasn’t asking about now. I should have been more clear and shouldn’t have said how far out I was because I think the assumption was I would make one now. I have had several cravings since surgery. Mostly broccoli and carrots. Because I’m dying to eat something crunchy right now.
Not on the plan so I am waiting until allowed. I just thought of the grilled cheese today and wanted suggestions. I was wondering what people further along have done to get rid of that craving.
I’ve had the cheese crisps and they’re good(presurgery) but I think I’m looking for a suggestion of best bread replacement for toasting. My fear is bread bc I just don’t think I can even have whole grains when they’re allowed. I’m with you and don’t want to start down that slope.

06/24/2019 10:21 AM, Orchids&Dragons said:

I'm not sure what you're saying is a trigger. Is it just "real" bread that you intend to avoid? Or just the carbs? Because the problem is if bread is your weakness, you may not do any better with a substitute. A good substitute may trigger the same cravings as the real thing. And a poor substitute isn't worth eating 😥

I don’t know. I think all bread is something I want to avoid but when I tried the egg white psyllium husk bread it tasted more like egg than anything so that might be ok. Will it crisp up at all on a sandwich press? Or is there anything low or no carb that will? I want to avoid carbs and bread. It will be in my best interest I think.

11 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

A good substitute may trigger the same cravings as the real thing. And a poor substitute isn't worth eating 😥

I find this is the same with all substitutes for anything I've ever tried in my life. They're either good so you eat so much of it that it doesn't make a real dent compared to eating the real thing or they taste just horrible and aren't worth eating and/or not working for satisfying the cravings.

The only substitute that has ever worked for me was sweetener as a substitute for sugar.

3 minutes ago, djgirl19 said:
13 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I don’t know. I think all bread is something I want to avoid but when I tried the egg white psyllium husk bread it lasted more like egg than anything so that might be ok. Will it crisp up at all on a sandwich press? Or is there anything low or no carb that will? I want to avoid carbs and bread. It will be in my best interest I think.

Avoiding breads long term is a smart plan. Similarly, I don't want to go back to eating most breads. I have made some exceptions though - sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel is a nice healthy alternative, it has 120 calories, 22g of carbs (6g of Fiber, 1gm sugar), and 6g of Protein. It can be found in the frozen section of grocery stores and Ive found them at costco.

Another option I like are Mission Carb Balance tortilla wraps. They can be found in different sizes but one size is 60 calories, 19g carbs (14g fiber!!) and 5g of protein.

I also see recipes for cauliflower bread grilled cheese on pinterest but I've never tried it.

52 minutes ago, djgirl19 said:
1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I don’t know. I think all bread is something I want to avoid but when I tried the egg white psyllium husk bread it tasted more like egg than anything so that might be ok. Will it crisp up at all on a sandwich press? Or is there anything low or no carb that will? I want to avoid carbs and bread. It will be in my best interest I think.

I have bought some of the zero carb breads but they're still in the freezer. (I think I'm afraid of them, to be honest.) So I don't know whether they toast up or not.

On 06/24/2019 at 11:24, Orchids&Dragons said:

I have bought some of the zero carb breads but they're still in the freezer. (I think I'm afraid of them, to be honest.) So I don't know whether they toast up or not.

Lol that’s funny. I would probably be the same. LMK if you try it😂

I wonder if the "Real Good Foods" cauliflower Pizza Crust would make a good grilled cheese. It really tastes like pizza crust. and it's not really bread. Maybe that same company makes cauliflower bread.