Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone switch their addiction?

At my pre-op psych visit, the doc told me that often people who give up one addiction (food) will take on another addiction. It can be alcohol, drugs, smoking, gambling, shopping, exercise, or any manner of things that can be either positive or negative. Has anyone discovered a new passion, OCD behavior, or outright addiction that you have exchanged for food? Personally, I think I am becoming OCD about my exercise goals. I increase them each week, and am happy with the results, but I find myself thinking about it a lot. I think it is OK as long as it doesn't become an obsession. Anyone else?

No, I can't say that I've picked up any new obsession other than obsessing over whether or not the scale will go down each time I weigh

I wish my addiction was exercise. Alas, it seems to be shopping. Doesn't matter if its online shopping, heading to the mall or even just Walmart. Hitting the thrift shops helps keep me from overspending.

2 hours ago, GradyCat said:

No, I can't say that I've picked up any new obsession other than obsessing over whether or not the scale will go down each time I weigh

I really feel for you @GradyCat on this one. My fear is the same so I got rid of my scale. Now I only weigh in at Dr. appointments. I have at least one appointment every couple months until next year, so I know I will be weighed each time. I think spacing out measurements is going to help me with my obsession over this. It was definitely becoming a problem and now getting rid of the scale feels like a weight off my shoulders, no pun intended...

I went through an impulsive shopping spree a bit at the beginning. I do obsess over my weight - I weigh daily. If it goes up a pound, like yesterday, I freak the hell out. It could be worse. I haven't picked up any bad habits or addictions, though. I have drank twice, but don't feel any desire to drink more than I did before, which was a handful of times a year (it doesn't seem to affect me any more like they said it would). I exercise regularly but not obsessively. Although I sort of wish I would, lol. At least for a few months. I am addicted to cottage cheese. LOL. I HAVE to have that sh*t on the daily. Weird, permanent craving.

Edited by mousecat88

this is one of the things i'm trying to think about before surgery ...... and have worried about a bit; what will i swap to if i can't eat, so i'm glad to see it being discussed ....and wishing i could find some kind of hobby or interest that will be a positive one rather than something that can end up being another destructive one the way food has been for me

I'm not sure if I was obsessed or addicted to eating food pre-op (I think I just made really bad choices..but who knows? I could just be in denial...).

HOWEVER. Now I have a minor (ok, major) fixation with making/cooking food. Or watching endless tv shows of people making food/judging food/competing making food. Or planning out what food I will be making for the week, and shopping for it. Once made, I am a little over the top in plating said food and then taking pictures of it. The fam is often impatient with me for taking so long to get that perfect food shot as its getting cold and they just want to eat it.

AND. I don't even eat it myself. Go figure.

On a less crazy note, I am also very focused (read: obsessed) with measuring/weighing and recording everything I eat in MFP, as well as measuring/recording/charting my own weight and body composition stats, which I do every single day.

Does that count as transfer addictions?

...oh and one more thing...I need to do my minimum hour walk every day, it seems. I just don't feel right if I don't.