Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Positive, no regrets journey so far! For those in need of this type of read!

I’m 38 days post op and I wanted to share my experience so far. When I was prepping for this massive change, I relied on other folks’ experiences for guidance. I found some positive and some that made me go into surgery preparing for the worse, just because I knew it was possible. I also saw people’s negative experiences, and while it didn’t deter me, I wanted to post my very positive journey so far! Disclaimer: this is not me gloating! I know some folks have had a very difficult journey, some with far too many complications. I just want to share a story that I was looking for when going through my preop journey. I hope everyone’s path to healthiness is an affirmative one!

My cardiology appointment, 2 weeks before my surgery, I weighed 282lbs with clothing on. After my liquid diet (which was tough for me, because I like to eat!) I was down to 267lbs on the day of my surgery. As an outsider looking in, I would think, “see, you can lose weight without surgery!” But those 2weeks were tough and it took my all to not snap at everyone and everything! It was certainly a nice kick off though!

My surgery experience was great! I woke up and needed to wait another 3 hours for a room, but I slept for most of it. I was nauseous at first, but it subsided with some anti nausea meds. I walked around a lot, sipped Water, caught up on my Netflix and SLEPT! I was able to burp, which oddly was something I was worried I would lose (I had read folks that don’t really burp anymore). I was able to keep liquids down, walk around, and even have some broth and Jello. When my dr checked in on me after my evening, he was surprised I didn’t have complaints. I expected the pain I was in, it wasn’t a shock to me. I was sore, my incision marks were glued, and I had bruises, but I was prepared for the pain, so I had no complaints. I wanted to go home so badly, and the cute lil nurse kept telling me to not rush, but I really just wanted to be home in my bed. My surgery was 8am on a Thursday, and I was back at home by 4pm Friday.

I took 1 week off from work (my job doesn’t involve a lot of moving or lifting, so my dr said as long as I wasn’t taking narcotics and could drive comfortably, I could go back to work). For the first 3 days, I pretty much slept. I took pain meds to help me sleep without waking constantly for being uncomfortable for those days, then stopped. I didn’t pass gas until Saturday (3 days after my surgery) and didn’t have a bowel movement until 1 week post op. I also got my period which was heavy and lasted longer than usual (but it stopped and my dr wasn’t concerned by it). I drank my Protein Shakes and water, chicken broths, took my meds without any issues (kept them down and didn’t experience pain), ate SO MANY sugar-free popsicles. Almost every article I read said that each food type phase is about 2 weeks. My dr had a schedule for me where each was one week, with caution that if I start something new and it upsets my stomach, go back to the step before. I was very thankful to move to puréed foods and then soft foods before my first month. I’m someone who doesn’t mind eating the same things over and over, especially if I like it, so I was ok with being limited.

I wasn’t hungry, but I wanted to eat. It was so weird, but it was clear that my brain was used to the habit, so I would just make sure I kept drinking my water. As I introduced new foods, it became very clear that simple carb gave me almost immediate stomach pains and refined sugars would make me feel nauseous then give me diarrhea. I have been very good about my Vitamins and water, but I need to keep better focus on my Protein intake. I have only vomited a couple of times from taking that extra couple of bites, which helped encourage me to stop as soon as I feel full. Random hiccups happen, and sometimes they’re rough, but they eventually go away. From my weight at surgery, I’m down 20lbs; 20lbs In 38 days!

I haven’t had to adjust my social life; I don’t drink, but that’s ok, and with going out for food, no one says anything if i take food home or don’t finish a meal. I’ve been moderately exercising, because I need to increase my stamina. I bought a nice beach bike which is a fun ride and not so intense that I would want to skip it (because we know how easy it is to make excuses!). Walking has been great too! I honestly forget about my surgery most of the time. The few people who know about it will ask if I’m ok with them eating in front of me or ask how I’m doing, and my immediate reaction is confusion. The I realize why they said it and I have to remind myself.

So, super long post! Sorry! However, as you can tell, I have zero regrets and I’m very happy with my results so far. I keep a journal to reflect and track for when things get tough (or to remind me how sick I felt the last time I tried a piece on chocolate!). I keep track of my weight and my inches lost. I weigh myself on Sundays and I do my measurements once a month.all my vitamins are organized for the week and my energy is almost back to normal.

I'm glad you had a good experience. So did I. No pain, no nausea once I got home from the hospital, no problems with Constipation, no infection, no leaks, no problems. I'm very happy for the surgery.

It is so good to read so much positivity and happiness. I too have no regrets. None at all except I wish I had done it sooner. April 20 is my 2 year Surgiversary. I went from 248 and a very tight size 22 bottom and 2x top to a healthy 117 size 4 and xs top. No more asthma or sleep apnea. No Cpap machine. Each day is still a challenge but I have even joined a gym. I actually look forward to going. I know some people have not been as lucky as we have been and I sympathize but it was worth the chance I took. I have my life back. Good luck to you in the rest of your journey. Please keep the positive posts coming. Have a great week.

Thank You, all three of you, I need the hopeful encouraging examples, you see, I'm one of those " oops, this wasn't what We Planned" RnYers but I too don't regret the surgery, get peeved at my body,for not reading the pamphlets closely enough, but still believe things will,smooth out and I still will be a success. It's gonna. still happen, just a matter of time!⏰

Thank you for this post! I really needed this today. I was having a hard time the past few days thinking I shouldn't have done this but I have to shut that **** down and push out those negative thoughts. I need to give myself so much more credit.

I did surgery 23 days ago and lost 22 lbs! That's such an achievement and I should be so proud of myself. I had no pain ( just a little after surgery which is normal), no vomiting, no dumping. I haven't cheated on my diet and stuck to my plan as hard as it was. I probably could be better at getting in my Water but that's something I'm working on. I'm exercising 3 times a week and working up to 5. This could have been so much worse and I sometimes tell myself I'm not doing a good job but this is a life changing surgery and every day won't be rainbows and unicorns for me. The payoff at the end is totally worth it and I hope we can all stay strong through this journey and when we see the results at the end, we'll know we did the right thing!

Well done everyone 😊 Thankfully no pain, dumping or nausea. I was fully expecting to wake up in agony from the gas that they inflate you with but nothing. I was also worried about DVT but I kept my legs moving. I did remove the gorgeous surgical stockings as soon as I got home which was really naughty but thankfully again, no problems. I watched so many American vlogs (thank you Lavalley Vida) so kind of knew what was ahead of me. Every time I have a large meal in front of me, I just know that prior to surgery I would have downed the lot but thanks to my VSG, 3 or 4 mouthfuls and I’m satisfied - it’s brilliant

On 4/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, Frustr8 said:

Thank You, all three of you, I need the hopeful encouraging examples, you see, I'm one of those " oops, this wasn't what We Planned" RnYers but I too don't regret the surgery, get peeved at my body,for not reading the pamphlets closely enough, but still believe things will,smooth out and I still will be a success. It's gonna. still happen, just a matter of time!

You got this! Do what your dr says and take it one day at a time ❤️

On 4/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, Bonines said:

Thank you for this post! I really needed this today. I was having a hard time the past few days thinking I shouldn't have done this but I have to shut that **** down and push out those negative thoughts. I need to give myself so much more credit.

I did surgery 23 days ago and lost 22 lbs! That's such an achievement and I should be so proud of myself. I had no pain ( just a little after surgery which is normal), no vomiting, no dumping. I haven't cheated on my diet and stuck to my plan as hard as it was. I probably could be better at getting in my Water but that's something I'm working on. I'm exercising 3 times a week and working up to 5. This could have been so much worse and I sometimes tell myself I'm not doing a good job but this is a life changing surgery and every day won't be rainbows and unicorns for me. The payoff at the end is totally worth it and I hope we can all stay strong through this journey and when we see the results at the end, we'll know we did the right thing!

I have a dressform that I customized prior to my surgery. When I don’t feel like I’m doing a great job, I look at my dressform and think “holy crap!”. Since I customized it, it has all my lumps and bumps that are becoming less and less. If we know not every day is going to be a good day, it helps get us through. Some folks think it’s a cure, nope! We still have to keep working hard as ever!

Thank you for this post. I am provisionally booked in for the 25th June and starting to have doubts. I was kind of relying on getting the dumping syndrome to help me lose my desire for food that I currently carry, I’m now worried I might not get it and I’ll still want to shovel everything in my face 🙈. You have put my mind at ease with the actual surgery though as everyone has been negative around me telling me how extreme it is blah blah blah, which isn’t helpful!! It’s nice to read people have done it and love it! Thank you.

And I , my little friend, am 8 months a week from Monday, a RNY bypass, and I have not dumped even once. Oh perhaps I have led a charmed life that it hasn't happened. But I used to have an appetite that knew no bounds. I would watch TV with a Family sized bag of Conn's. Honey +bar-b-que chips and eat them all. Conn's is one of our Central Ohio brands, cheaper, thinner chips, no saturated fats in their oil. Head office I believe is Zanesville Ohio. The fact that are so well made does not excuse the fact I ate too many at one sitting. At any rate I do not have a raging appetite any more,in fact I truly have no desire,to eat. Nothing really sounds good, oh I do have my Soups, varying from bone broths clear up to my cheesy Soup. Usually make it with potatoes, last time I put broccoli in it instead. Made my dietician groan but my pouch and I like that kind of stuff. I add GENEPRO Protein to items I think don't have enough naturally. And depending on next blood draw, we will see if I have any deficencies Vitamin -wise. I had an Iron infusion in March, need to see if that's holding or will I require another? PCP said I might have them every 90 days, but it all depends on how. blood levels are.

On 4/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, AmyBra88 said:

Thank you for this post. I am provisionally booked in for the 25th June and starting to have doubts. I was kind of relying on getting the dumping syndrome to help me lose my desire for food that I currently carry, I’m now worried I might not get it and I’ll still want to shovel everything in my face 🙈. You have put my mind at ease with the actual surgery though as everyone has been negative around me telling me how extreme it is blah blah blah, which isn’t helpful!! It’s nice to read people have done it and love it! Thank you.

Can I tell you- I originally wanted the sleeve and my dr said that was fine, but felt I’d be MORE successful with the bypass, so he encouraged me to research. The stuff I was scared of (losing my teeth due to Calcium deficiency and the slew of negative stories I had read) I was able to find out WHY they happen so I can avoid them (like taking vitamins!! Don’t stop taking them!). When I made the choice to do the bypass I said to my dr: “is it f*cked up that I WANT the dumping syndrome? I WANT shitty food to make me sick so I don’t eat it!” And he said no. Some folks on forums will (and have) shamed me for that, but it’s what I NEEDED, so I had to stop caring. I was never full, I could always eat, and made terrible choices. The best thing is that ice cream makes me dump; I needed that! I know to avoid it, unless I want to MAKE MYSELF feel like I have the flu. I have sort of determined that trying stuff earlier and having the negative experience is better for me, because if I wait a year, and then don’t have dumping syndrome, I know myself and I will go back to my old habits. If I could control my eating and my cravings and my desire to continue to shovel food in my mouth, I wouldn’t have been in a position where I needed surgery to get my life back on track.Some people who have negative stories have experience with other people who did it for the wrong reasons, and were not successful. I told my mother-in-law and father-in-law about my surgery, because I didn’t want them to be offended if we went out to eat and I really didn’t touch food, and they knew someone who had a really bad experience with it so they were concerned. And after talking to them they kind of realize that the person they knew did it as a fix all, didn’t follow the guidelines, and wound up in the hospital a few times because they made really bad choices. I am determined to not do that. I am determined to get town to 150 pounds, feel good about myself, and be healthy. I am down to 240 pounds, which is still heavy for me, but I feel good, and I can’t say that I have felt that way in a long time. I Always have a Protein ready to eat in my fridge if I feel like snacking, I’m going to eat a protein. And I make sure I take my Vitamins and get my Water in. I also am very slowly exercising, and I have to remind myself that doing a little bit is much better than doing nothing. Please feel free to message me if you ever need someone to talk to always have a protein ready to eat in my fridge if I feel like snacking, I’m going to eat a protein. And I make sure I take my vitamins and get my water in. I also am very slowly exercising, and I have to remind myself that doing a little bit is much better than doing nothing. Please feel free to message me if you ever need someone to talk to, and BEST OF LUCK ❤️❤️❤️❤️