Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiences from anyone who has gone back on phentermine post gastric sleeve

Good morning all. I had the single incision gastric sleeve back in June 2018 so I am approximately 7 months out. I was considered “low BMI” (33 BMI) so I opted to go to Mexico to get it done since I would not get approved here especially since I have no comorbidities. I am 5’5” and My highest weight was 212, day of surgery 205, and now my current weight is 176-177. Before I even considered surgery I was on phentermine for a long, long time like 10 years steady!!! I was so excited to finally rid myself of that drug but now I am extremely tempted to start on it again. My reason being that my hunger is coming back, which I know is typical after 6 months, and I have not lost any weight for the past two months. It is a bit disappointing to me since I am still about 20 pounds away from goal. I’m also a bit depressed that I did something this invasive, flew all the way to Mexico, and paid a decent amount of $ ($6000 w/o airfare to be exact) for a mere 30-35 pounds. I need advice and help please........

My questions to anyone out there who went back on phentermine post gastric sleeve are these:

1- Did it help you jumpstart your weight loss again?

2- Was it as effective starting it a 2nd round so to speak? When I first took the phentermine I lost a good deal of weight but I’m not sure if I’ll have the same results.

3- if I start taking it again will I be forced to continue for the rest of my life or I’ll gain it all back?

I would greatly appreciate your advice and guidance however harsh and honest it is. To give you a more complete picture of my nutrition and daily life—— I eat from 80-90 grams of Protein daily, I limit carbs to 40-50 grams per day, I eat between 800-1200 calories, and I exercise at the gym 4-5 times a week for an hour each time.

Thanks so much for your help and support.

Sounds interesting. I’ve heard of intermittent fasting. Yes I would like to try other options before going back to phentermine. I really want to use it as a last resort but right now nothing else seems to be working. Please send me the links so I can decide if I’d like to join. Thank you.

I did phentermine years ago and that’s bad bad stuff for You. Surprised you have only lost 30 lbs with this procedure . Sounds like you are eating way way too much !! I was told 600-800 calories until goal . 60g plus of Protein, under 50g of carbs and as little sugar as possible . Make sure you do 10k steps a day or 50min if cardio plus strength training a few times a week. Most important, get Water in! People who maintain their weight after surgery eat an average of 1000 calories, but once they reach their goal . Skip the phentermine and use a food tracker and cut ur intake in half . I was a low BMI as well, this is a tool not a cure and u do have to work the steps, there is no magic pill

2 hours ago, Lolo 2020 said:

I did phentermine years ago and that’s bad bad stuff for You. Surprised you have only lost 30 lbs with this procedure . Sounds like you are eating way way too much !! I was told 600-800 calories until goal . 60g plus of Protein, under 50g of carbs and as little sugar as possible . Make sure you do 10k steps a day or 50min if cardio plus strength training a few times a week. Most important, get Water in! People who maintain their weight after surgery eat an average of 1000 calories, but once they reach their goal . Skip the phentermine and use a food tracker and cut ur intake in half . I was a low BMI as well, this is a tool not a cure and u do have to work the steps, there is no magic pill

Thank you for your response. I know that as far as exercise I’m getting enough of that in. I go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week. My workouts vary from cardio for about 45 minutes to strength training in a structured class to a high intensity spin class. From what you’ve posted I think my problem is my Water intake. I’m having a bit of a problem getting enough water. My surgeon told me that I had to wait 90 minutes after eating to drink and 30 minutes after drinking to eat. So I know that my water intake is not even close to what I need. As you mentioned, I need to cut my food intake in half which would help me get in more water since I wouldn’t be waiting the 90 minutes to drink. My calories are usually around the 800 -1000 and may go a bit higher when I eat out. Carbs I need to work on. You are absolutely right in that. I try to keep them low but I’m afraid after I hit my six month post op I did slack on tracking my food so I believe they may be the culprit along with not enough water.

Can I ask you to please give me an example of your daily meals—breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Can you also tell me your starting weight and current weight and surgery date because you mentioned that you too were low BMI I’m interested in just how badly I’ve done with my surgery in comparison to others of similar BMI.

Thanks again.

Hi new life - I started at 238 and a BMI of 35 and went into surgery at 231 on 12/18. I dropped to 203 in about 5 weeks . Am losing around 3lbs per week on average . I do at least one but often 2 pure Protein Drinks a day (160 calories , 35 G Protein , 1 g sugar , low carb). Usually one in am warmed with Decaf coffee before I spin. After spin I have a poached egg . I drink 24oz of Water while spinning . I have a little tuna salad midday. More water after . Then usually a string cheese stick or laughing cow wedge in the afternoon and a shake as I drive home . dinner is 2-3 oz of fish normally or a cup of Soup and some steamed veggie . Last I have a plain yogurt with some sugar free canned fruit cups mixed in, or Occasionally a sugar free outshine bar . Done ! Hope this helps . Usually I log in at 560 calories , 50% protein