Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG in less than 12hrs! I'm a nervous wreck!

I have never had any kind of surgery before, nor have I gone under anaesthesia, and I am freaking out! I have severe anxiety and panic attacks, and I'm trying not to use any medication to stave them off, but it's increasingly getting harder as the time comes.

Does anyone here know if the doctors will provide a calming agent of any kind? I'm afraid of taking a benzo (which I use for my panic attacks, diazepam) because it might cause issues with the surgery or medications that they give in the IV? I just generally have fear of the surgery as well, of not waking up, of blood clots and complications, etc. Gah! I keep fretting as well that I have some kind of blood disorder (or clotting disorder) since I bruise really easily, and there's bruises on my belly already and legs that just show up out of nowhere.

This post is rambly, so my apologies, but that's how my mind gets when I'm panicked! I'm just super nervous and scared, but also excited and hopeful that everything will work out okay! This past month on the pre-op diet has been really difficult as well, and I'm afraid my liver won't have shrunk enough or some other complication might arise. (Also my throat has been scratchy and sore off and on for days.)

Anyone else here having surgery on the 15th also?

Hey Lusty,
I am having surgery Feb 11th and I also have worries that are due to nerves. Take a peek at the video below. I watched it today and it was
So reassuring!

https://youtu.be/co1gU7YhDbA

I'm sure they do, they want you to have a good experience as much as you do. I'm sure they are on top of your blood profile, if you had platlet abnormalities you would have been made aware of it. Now try to be calm, it is really an easy-peasy surgery, I went in with a few bruises, even a skin tear on my forearm, they will chart those, but I didn't bruise there. Hon you will be just fine, the dreading is honestly the worst part, mine was smooth and remember I am older than dirt, I should have been the strikes would be against. Just take a deep. breath, approach with class and you'll be just fine. Prove to the Finns Americans have their act together, Draconian think of National Pride!

I had surgery last week and had a lot of the same fears. If you followed the pre-op diet, your liver will have shrunk (honestly, even if you cheated a time or two, your liver will be okay if you mainly stuck to the diet). I was also worried about anesthesia and not waking up, too. But don't worry! Your anesthesiologist gets paid the big bucks because she's a Smarty Pants badass who knows how much to give you and will be monitoring you all the way throughout your surgery. Same with your surgeon—they're experts and they literally do this all the time. Before surgery I was offered what was described to me as "something to calm me down." I, being a ball of nerves, happily accepted. No idea what it was, I didn't care, but it mellowed me out. I remember being wheeled into the OR (which I remembered thinking looked nothing like the ORs in Grey's Anatomy—pretty sure this thought is evidence that whatever they gave me was working) and then a couple of people from the surgical team were talking to me and I just listened and that's it: That's all I remember. The next thing I knew I was in recovery. As far as blood clots, I was given two shots of heparin while at the hospital—one before surgery and one the next day. Some patients are sent home with shots to prevent blood clots, so if you're concerned about this, you may want to ask your surgeon if this would be a good fit for you. Good luck with your surgery! You'll do great!

As soon as you get your gown on tell them you are anxious/nervous and they will give you some happy juice and it's smooth sailing from there. Next thing you know, you are awake in a different room and it's over. This was my first major surgery too and it wasn't bad at all. Over before I knew it.

It’s normal to be nervous. I am 1 week post op today , and I was very nervous too. I take a lot of medications including anxiety medicine and they did tell me to go ahead and take a Klonapin the morning of my surgery. They also gave me something else before I went in to the OR to keep me relaxed. You will do great. Try to relax today. Just focus on all the wonderful positive changes you have ahead! Good luck tomorrow keep us posted

2 hours ago, LustyDraconianMaid said:

I have never had any kind of surgery before, nor have I gone under anaesthesia, and I am freaking out! I have severe anxiety and panic attacks, and I'm trying not to use any medication to stave them off, but it's increasingly getting harder as the time comes.

Does anyone here know if the doctors will provide a calming agent of any kind? I'm afraid of taking a benzo (which I use for my panic attacks, diazepam) because it might cause issues with the surgery or medications that they give in the IV? I just generally have fear of the surgery as well, of not waking up, of blood clots and complications, etc. Gah! I keep fretting as well that I have some kind of blood disorder (or clotting disorder) since I bruise really easily, and there's bruises on my belly already and legs that just show up out of nowhere.

This post is rambly, so my apologies, but that's how my mind gets when I'm panicked! I'm just super nervous and scared, but also excited and hopeful that everything will work out okay! This past month on the pre-op diet has been really difficult as well, and I'm afraid my liver won't have shrunk enough or some other complication might arise. (Also my throat has been scratchy and sore off and on for days.)

Anyone else here having surgery on the 15th also?

Good luck to you tomorrow - I'll be watching for your updates :) Someone else said it here but please - let them know about your anxiety and they will help you with some - I think they said "Happy Juice". :) My first surgery was an emergency procedure about 10 years ago and I was a wreck. They anticipate nerves and WILL help you through it. Remember to breathe! We're all behind you!!

Thank you all for the encouraging words! ❤️

I am getting ready now, and am just.. yeah. I'm a nervous wreck, lol. But I think I'll be okay, and I'm working through it. It didn't help that they gave me this awful, AWFUL drink that I have to use before the surgery (which apparently provides nutrition or something throughout the day?)

Imagine a combination of burnt soy sauce, orange juice, and pineapple juice.. Yeah. AWFUL. 🤮

I had VSG too, my first major surgery at the age of 62. It's normal to have anxiety before surgery but anesthesia will take care of that. My surgery was 50min but they knocked me out so good that I slept 11hrs afterwards. Got a good night sleep and lots of rest, stayed there less than 24hrs and went home. Good luck to you and see you on the losers side!

I am home now!

My surgery went well, no immediate complications, and I was only in for about 40 minutes or so. :) My first two days were misery, and I just slept a lot, but today is my third day, so I was able to head home now that I can eat small amounts and such.

My belly hurts still, b ut not too bad, and when I sip, my stomach and throat 'gurgles' quite a bit which is annoying, but I'm told it is a common thing and will subside with some time. I also get some pressure and pain when burping and especially with hiccuping. Otherwise, everything seems alright overall!

Congrats for getting to the other side!! You described the first two days as misery. Were you in a lot of pain or what?