Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How sweaty, out of breath should I be.

So I have never been a big fan of working out (obviously) so I really just don't know if what I'm doing is enough. I am just beginning and wondering if what I am doing is enough. I have a magnetic resistance recumbant stationary bike - I do about 25-30 mins per day. I don't sweat, I am only slightly out of breath but I DO feel it in my legs and butt afterwards, maybe even the next morning.

Is this enough? any opinions or advice is welcome.

Find an online calculator that will estimate your Max heart rate for exercise. Of course, you're going to want to get a heart rate monitor for exercise so you can track your rate. You want to stay in that target zone for as you work out. When you're out of shape you'd be surprised how little you have to exert yourself to bring your heart rate up to that fat burning zone. The opposite is true if you're more in shape

1 minute ago, LadySin said:

Find an online calculator that will estimate your Max heart rate for exercise. Of course, you're going to want to get a heart rate monitor for exercise so you can track your rate. You want to stay in that target zone for as you work out. When you're out of shape you'd be surprised how little you have to exert yourself to bring your heart rate up to that fat burning zone. The opposite is true if you're more in shape

I never thought about a heart rate monitor - thank you!

Sweatiness is highly variable. I am a cyclist and runner, and I always sweat like I'm dying. But I have friends that finish a run or a ride looking fresh as a daisy and completely unmussed. I sorta hate those guys. :D

Out-of-breath-ness is generally related to heart rate, and the recommendation to get a heart rate monitor is a good one. I generally shoot for zone 4 / orange zone in cardio. But how out of breath you feel is also slightly variable by person. Unless I'm sprinting, I can almost always carry on a conversation while running. On the other hand, my cycle coach knows if we're all chatty we aren't working hard enough, but she's a mean one. Personally, I know if I can't talk, I'm working too hard, but if I can sing more than a line or two I know I'm not working hard enough. Yeah, I'm a joy to hang with. :D But I run with friends who don't ever feel like they can talk and run at the same time, despite the fact that their heart rates are in the okay zone.

The other factor to consider is your underlying fitness. If your legs & butt are feeling it, but your cardio isn't there, then keep working your legs hard until they catch up with your cardio capacity and you can push them both together.

And above all, HAVE FUN!

Thank you!!

Also- keep in mind that as you lose weight, you’ll have to push harder/increase the intensity to hit your target heart.

So yes- a heart rate monitor is essential! I think fit bits do this.. and I know the Apple Watch monitors heart rate during workouts.

I got a cheapo generic "fitbit" off Amazon and it works just as well as the expensive FitBits. It tracks calories, sleep monitor, HR, steps, length of exercise, etc, and syncs to your phone and alerts you of calls and messages. It's called the LETSCOM Fitness Tracker and was 29 bucks. Battery lasts for days. Also has a camera on it. So you can photograph your sweaty self, I guess. lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZZ5Z37/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by mousecat88