Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2018 Sleevers!

Steve274 do you really think the benefits of the sleeve wear off over time ? I certainly can eat more than I could at the outset post surgery , but still have trouble with any dense foods . I am still living on and frankly loving my Protein Drinks , cottage cheese, yogurt and eggs with a little cooked veggies . Difficult to eat salad quite frankly . My sleeve still seems very restricting

I'm still chugging along....slow and steady seems to be the thing for me...so, still chugging.

@lolo2020, I am not sure that the benefits wear off entirely, but it depends on what benefits are really working best for you. If this is just about restriction, your capacity to eat will increase over time. Call it stretching for the sleeve or something else, but it happens to everyone. Your stomach will never go back to the size it was before the operation. I suppose it could if you abuse it, but it's unlikely that will happen. It will get larger though over time. Even if you can eat 1.5 plates of food--you probably could eat 2 or 3 before the operation. That's still a big reduction in quantity--not as much as right after the operation though. However, if your filling your plate with Pasta and fried chicken, 1.5 plates will send you back into obesity quickly. On the other, the sleeve (even at a larger size) will still be an effective tool if you're fill it with healthy foods.

The other benefit of the sleeve (and probably the most important benefit) is the metabolic effects of the surgery. I am not really sure how long the metabolic changes caused by the surgery last. Maybe they are permanent, but my guess is that these benefits also slow up over time. The studies just aren't conclusive on this. I don't think that you're capacity to eat or your metabolic changes ever go back to what they were before surgery, but the effects may still lessen over time. In the end, maintaining this weight loss comes down to how we use our time during this honeymoon period. If we use this time to change our lifestyles and get healthy new habits, I think the benefits will be sustainable in the long run. That said, it's not easy to predict the future and the long turn outcomes for VSG patients 5-15 years out is still yet to be determined.

One thing is certain, if we don't make major changes to our diet and exercise programs, we will not be have successful journeys. I know that no matter how the world sees me (and I am thin now--not just thin for me, but really in good shape thin), I will always be an obese person that struggles with weight. I am doing very well right now and I am 100% committed to this program. I want this to be a lifelong success. I also know that if I am not careful and let things slip, I will end up back where I was eventually--even with the sleeve.

Here's the deal--and I am going to tell it like it is. I didn't get fat by accident. I did it to myself over time--making excuses for why it was ok to eat badly and not exercise. I lied to myself and anyone that asked. I had a great excuse for everything---but it was all BS. I am not going back to being that person. There is nothing cute or beautiful about being fat. I used to joke about it all the time when I was heavy--but it's not funny at all. Being fat sucks!!! Feeling ill and sweating through my shirt just walking up stairs sucked!!! Being too tired to play with my kids sucked!!! Having constant back and knee pain sucked!!! Having to take injections for Type II diabetes sucks!!! I having to take 12 pills every night before bed for all my medications sucked!!! Having high blood pressure sucked!! Everything about being obese sucked!!!! Not being able to buy clothes off the rack in a normal store sucked!!! Being told that if I don't change my eating and exercise habits I may not be alive in 10 years sucked!!!! I am finally where I need to be in terms of weight and health and I pledge to God I am not going to squander this second change!!! No f**king way!!!!! I worth more than that and I have too much to live for!!!!

Here's what I have to live for:

20190326_190216.thumb.jpg.b5945399989c6c91714b24de33e4b3d7.jpg

Here's a recent picture of me (I think it's from May 1?)

20190501_102303.thumb.jpg.74a2e3e4818c1fc741dc64fc14b057cc.jpg

Guys, on a separate note, any of you guys have issue with loose skin and stretch marks? I have been trying different products, but if you guys have recommendations for ones that seem to actual help---I am all ears (eyes?). :) I am not loving the loose skin or stretch marks at the moment (or the big scar from the surgery which is worse than I think it should be).

Hey guys!! I am updating my progress as well! I am down 73lbs since my surgery on December 20, 18. Still have a good ways to go! My goal was 170, but after seeing myself, 170 Maaaann be a bit too small for my liking. [emoji849] I am back walking 5 days a week, appetite is kool, I have been on a weight stall for about 3 weeks, but I haven't measured my inches, but they are being ripped off me[emoji847] I am feeling better, looking younger, and getting to my goal!! I will upload a pic in a sec to compare. What's yall progress looking like December sleevers?[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

12 minutes ago, SteveT74 said:

Guys, on a separate note, any of you guys have issue with loose skin and stretch marks? I have been trying different products, but if you guys have recommendations for ones that seem to actual help---I am all ears (eyes?). :) I am not loving the loose skin or stretch marks at the moment (or the big scar from the surgery which is worse than I think it should be).

Oh yes. I'm expecting I will likely need plastics when all is said and done. There is a whole forum about it. Look under the Weight Loss Surgery Forums ... it's down the page a ways.

1 hour ago, Lolo 2020 said:

Steve274 do you really think the benefits of the sleeve wear off over time ? I certainly can eat more than I could at the outset post surgery , but still have trouble with any dense foods . I am still living on and frankly loving my Protein Drinks , cottage cheese, yogurt and eggs with a little cooked veggies . Difficult to eat salad quite frankly . My sleeve still seems very restricting

Lolo 2020 I'm glad to hear that you still have trouble with dense foods. Mine is more with dense Protein than anything else. I can only eat about 1 oz of chicken or salmon. I too prefer, eggs and tuna salad and other soft things. My restriction is amazing. I was sleeved 12/20.

Hey guys!! I am updating my progress as well! I am down 73lbs since my surgery on December 20, 18. Still have a good ways to go! My goal was 170, but after seeing myself, 170 Maaaann be a bit too small for my liking. [emoji849] I am back walking 5 days a week, appetite is kool, I have been on a weight stall for about 3 weeks, but I haven't measured my inches, but they are being ripped off me[emoji847] I am feeling better, looking younger, and getting to my goal!! I will upload a pic in a sec to compare. What's yall progress looking like December sleevers?[emoji3]

The 1st is a face comparison and the 2nd is last year and the 3rd is a current as of March 2019inCollage_20190326_164530719.jpeg FB_IMG_1558473502099.jpeg FB_IMG_1558472848216.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Louise is gonna Lose said:

Lolo 2020 I'm glad to hear that you still have trouble with dense foods. Mine is more with dense Protein than anything else. I can only eat about 1 oz of chicken or salmon. I too prefer, eggs and tuna salad and other soft things. My restriction is amazing. I was sleeved 12/20.

Funny, I don't really feel much restriction. I was able to easily eat a 12oz steak last week (16oz on the bone). I guess I do have restriction, since that did fill me up and before the surgery I could have probably eaten two steaks. :-) I have been complaining about the lack of restriction since after the surgery, but I guess everyone is different. The weight came off so something is working for me.

@TaeRenee Keep up the great work!! Big difference!!! 75 pounds is a lot of weight!!!!

Edited by SteveT74

Funny, I don't really feel much restriction. I was able to easily eat a 12oz steak last week (16oz on the bone). I guess I do have restriction, since that did fill me up and before the surgery I could have probably eaten two steaks. :-) I have been complaining about the lack of restriction since after the surgery, but I guess everyone is different. The weight came off so something is working for me.

@TaeRenee Keep up the great work!! Big difference!!! 75 pounds is a lot of weight!!!!
Thank@SteveT74 gotta keep going

Holy mother of god Steve , 12 oz of steak ? Omg I can’t even eat a bite !

Take renee, here’s a current pic - almost to goal ! I am in blue !

0136A967-6B3B-459A-A216-FE14705888B4.jpeg

Take renee, here’s a current pic - almost to goal ! I am in blue !
0136A967-6B3B-459A-A216-FE14705888B4.thumb.jpeg.41a2ae1539a2f767ce1656eb58aa3fde.jpeg
Lolo you looking great ma'am [emoji7]

Thank tae renee! Feel really good! a few more lbs to goal so I can say I was there 🤣

19 hours ago, SteveT74 said:

@coexister If you're struggling with carbs, maybe you need to reevaluate whether they should be in your diet and, if so, what kind of carbs should be in your diet. I think the best approach to food is to plan out your menu in advance (the night before or something like that). If you have a plan of what you are going to eat and how much of it (you need to weight things out so you know what you're consuming), then you're more likely to stick to the program and not go off the plan. You can't blame "saboteurs" for screwing up your diet. Ultimately, you're responsible for what you put in your mouth.

@SteveT74 - You rock! Thank you! I needed that.