Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Part Two Dr. Kirshenbaum

SHELBICALLIE...

I just re read your ticker and signature. I didn't realize (over 40 brain damage) that Dr. K didn't do your fill. You and I have the same band that holds 10cc. Your first fill was 1.5 cc and mine was 4.25 cc. HUH???? 1.5 in our sized band doesn't seem like much. I am sure if I had that in mine, I would be eating everything in my fridge, then licking the shelves (ewwwww...I just know how I was before my first fill...that was supposed to be funny, but sounded kind of gross!!). I am not a doc, but I wonder if you need that fill topped off?????

what do you think??

By the way, I weigh 370 and am 5'5". I live in Phoenix, Az and I will be driving to have my surgery done on December 13, 2007.

Can someone tell me how to add the ticker and my pic to my profile?

Hi MissMona! Welcome to the boards. You are in good hands with Dr. K.

I am techno-challenged, but I'll give it a try ~~

For signature:

• Sign In
  • Click on USER CP in the top row of links
  • Click on EDIT SIGNATURE on the left side link list.
  • Create and save a signature in the text box in the same way that you would a regular post.

You can go to the site The Ticket Factory or www.tickercental.com or another website to creat a ticker for your signture, then copy and paste the ticker's code to you signature using the steps above.

I haven't added any photos yet, so I can't help with that. I hope the above helps.

Hi Want2Be! Yep, I only have 1.5 cc -- During my fill, my doc put in much more than 1.5 and then backed some out as I was in a standing position and drinking Water. 1.5 cc was where we stopped. In our discussion before the actual fill started, he said that he, with his other APS patients, has usually started with around 3 the first fill but it's a very individual thing. I'm going for my second fill next Monday, so we'll see what I get this time!

Does Dr. K use Inamed Lap-Band or the new Johnson and Johnson band? Also does he use a low profile port or high profile port?

I am back!!! After a brief hiatus, and postponing surgery, I am back.

My original surgery date was 11/1, but I found out about 3 weeks before that my mom has breast cancer. I am the only one in town, and the only one able to help. Also found out that my 4 year old, Hannah, will be having surgeries #28, 29, 30 & possibly 31!! So needless to say, I am a little frazzled. faint.gif

I scheduled surgery yesterday, for December 13th at 2:00! I am very excited, and am hoping that it goes ok with Christmas. I just need to keep telling myself that I can enjoy it much more, next year! Espically all the new clothes! rolleyes.gif

I would still love to meet everyone, let me know when the next RR is, and I will make every effort to get there!

Thanks and I am sooooo glad to be back!

Brandy

weight.png

Hey Mona~

My surgery is also for the 13th!! What time is yours going to be? Mine is at 2:00, hopefully we will get to say hi to one another!!

Brandy

weight.png

Drews~ glad to see another Dr. K groupie here! I swear...Dr. K is such a humble soul, he would probably be almost mortified if he knew he had such cheerleaders!! And, just think, we will all either now, or some day, even fit into cheerleader outfits!!:cheer2:

You have been a Dr. K patient longer than the rest of us. What is your story on what led you to him for your surgery? How did you know about lap band then? Oh...do tell us about you!! And, tell us how you got into roller derby!!

I first heard about the band in January 2006 and started doing some research online to see if any doctor's in Denver were doing the surgery. I found Dr K and met with him at the end of Jan 06. I weighed 289 and had a BMI of 43 when I had my consultation. My husband got really sick and was hospitalized so I put surgery off until May. I had soooo many "last suppers" that I gained another 10 pounds in the 2 weeks before my pre-op diet. I stuck to the pre-op diet and was 280 on surgery day. Surgery itself was really no problem, I just felt like I had been doing crunches all day, I was up and walking around about 30 minutes after I woke up.

The first few months the weight really melted off. I had 2 fills in that time. In August I noticed I wasn't losing and didn't feel any restriction. I went in for a fill and Dr K was only able to pull .2cc's out, my last fill had been 1.5cc's. He put 1.7cc's in and we waited a bit and he tried to take the same amount back out and he was only able to pull less than 1cc out. He decided at that time that I had a leak. A couple of weeks later I went in and had a fill under flouro with contrast so we could tell exactly where I was leaking from, and it was confirmed I had a leak in my tubing above the port. The port and tubing are connected, so it all had to be replaced.

My husband got sick again and I had to put my port replacement surgery off until November. Exactly 6 months after being banded I had my port replaced. I opted for general anethesia (I'm a wimp!) and was in and out of surgery with an hour. Dr K gave me my port and tubing and the tubing was punctured several times. He said he probably punctured it accidentally when trying to give me a fill. I started losing weight again and by Feb 07 I got down to 205, for a total loss of 80 pounds. I haven't lost weight in months but am down to a size 14 from a 22 so I can't complain too much!

I always wanted to play roller derby... were else can grown women beat the crap outta each other then go buy each other beers afterwards? Losing 80 pounds gave me the confidence and ability to skate 8 hours a week and I love every second of it!

There's my story in a nutshell! Aren't you sorry you asked? :faint:

I guess that I should also post my life story...

Let see, I am 32, married for 11 years to my hubby (who is VERY nervous about this) . We have 4 great kiddos, Brennan (14), Brock (10), Bryce (7) and Miss Hannah (4). Hannah is a little inspiration herself, she has had 27 surgeries to date with 4 more expected in the next year. She was born with a cleft lip and palate and 2 rare syndromes (one which is usually fatal in utero). She is very tiny and still has her feeding tube. Feel free to see her at cleftAdvocate - Cleft Lip, Cleft Palate, Craniofacial Care - A Program of AboutFace USA go to the photos, click on the "H" and she is Hannah Faith.

We live in Brighton, CO so I feel like it was a total God thing, that I came across Dr. K! He is only 30 minutes from home! I never was heavy until after the kids. I have tried EVERYTHING! And lose a little, gain ALOT back!

I had a catastrophic knee injury in 05' and now my only options are knee replacement and/or cartilage transplant. Neither of those are good enough for me. I am in a vicious cycle, have to work out to lose, can't work out because of my knee and so the story goes. So I am wanting to lose to help my knee, and to help me look hot! :heh:

I guess that is about it....I am excited to be here again and happy that I am able to do this. I am very grateful for my hubby and that he finagaled everything so that I can do this! He rocks!

Brandy

weight.png

Brandy, my surgery is set for 12:30 P.M. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. I started my pre-op diet 6 days ago and have already lost 11 pounds. I wanted to get a head start on the weight loss so I started early, unfortuntely, I forgot about Thanksgiving :-(:

Hello Friends,

My surgery with Dr. K is scheduled for Dec 18th and I can hardly wait. I have a BMI of 35 and I am 6'3 285. I am also flying into Denver by myself and getting this done on my own so that is also a little nerve recking. I have slowly gathered all my things for the trip from heating pads to gasX and now I am just waiting. I am curious to see how the remote fills go and how many trips I have to take but I have confidence that DR. K will take care of me. I fly into Denver on the 17th of Dec and back out on the 19th so here I go....

Hi I'm scheduled with Dr. K for December 11th. Yeah!!! I can't wait. I've lost 52 pounds on my own but have another 100 to 120 to go. Wish me luck!

Hi I'm scheduled with Dr. K for December 11th. Yeah!!!

Hey Tarheel,

You are going to have to tell me how it goes since my surgery week is right after yours. I have got nothing but good vibes so far so I am excited. I am debating whether I should rent a car or take a Taxi ewverywhere but I just dont know since I am on my own. Will I even be able to drive myself home after the surgery? I doubt it.