Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Part Two Dr. Kirshenbaum

Just wanted to say hello and that I hoped everyone had a happy turkey day!

My surgery is coming up fast-next Wednesday. I'm starting to get butterflies in my tummy!:D

I'm really looking forward to coming to Denver, it sounds great there!! Still no takers on RR for Tuesday the 4th?? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Ok, I need to go to be now, I'm getting slap happy!:biggrin1:

Hey Munchkin -- You'll be in Denver next week this time! WOW! I know you're getting excited~~ please post an update while you're there to let us know how you're doing!

Hello everyone,

My name is Katrina. I am trying to get the process started. I wish to get the lap band. I live in PA near the MD border.

My BMI is 44. I have decided on Dr. K. But I don't know where to start.

I have to be self pay because my work have decided on an insurance plan that does not cover bariatric surgery. I have made initial contact with the office but not definite appts.

What should I do?

Do I need more research? Every one here speaks highly of Dr. K.

I am also a OB/Gyn so I am comfortable with surgery and it's complications. Although, I haven't had major surgery!

Should I get financing first or schedule consulting appts first?

All input would be greatly appreciated.

What did you guys do pre-op?

What about fills, anyone know any fill DRs in Md or PA?:help:

Katrina,

Hi. I am having my surgery on Dec 11th so I am going through the process right now. I called and scheduled my surgery appointment with Natalie. During that phone call she set up a phone consultation time with Dr. K and a phone consultation time with Paula Pierce who is a nutritionist. The phone consultations are at different times. I have already had both of those. Dr. K talked about the actual surgery and recovery. Paula Pierce talked about the pre-surgery diet, the diet right after the surgery, and the normal lap band diet. I will have my pre-op testing the day before the surgery in Aurora. Right now I am planning to have my fills for the first year or two with Dr. K. I have joined a frequent flyer program with Airtran which flies from my home airport to Denver. I also got one of their credit cards. I am going to charge the surgery on the credit card (then pay it off before the first payment is due). With the bonus for getting the credit card and charging $10,000 to the credit card, I will earn a round trip flight for my first fill. Then I am going to charge EVERYTHING I can think of to that card each month instead of paying by check/cash and then I will pay the check to the credit card company in full before the payment is due. All I have to do is charge $8,000 worth on the credit card and I earn my next free round trip for a fill. It will be pretty easy to get to $8000 if I charge everything (cable bills, power bills, mortgage payment, you name it). Another idea is for you to go to fillcentersusa. com and see if there is a provider in your area. They are very reasonable. Good luck to you.

Wendy

Nice to see a new thread. I was banded by Dr K on Oct 4th. Loved him and all the staff. Parker was great.

I went for my first fill today with Dr Brinkley in Md. She's close to my home in Pa. When she accessed my port, she know right away that I had a 10 cc band even though all my paperwork said I had a 4 cc band. We ended up calling Dr K's office and and Marilyn confirmed that they had given me the wrong card. Accidents happen. I ended up with a good fill 4.4cc . Hoping to start losing again soon.

Hello Friends,

My surgery with Dr. K is scheduled for Dec 18th I fly into Denver on the 17th of Dec and back out on the 19th so here I go....

Hello, We'll be in the clinic around the same time; pre-op stuff on the 18th, surgery for hubby on the 19th. So, we might cross paths. We've booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Englewood (because they allow pets, we'll be traveling with our 2 dogs).

I'm a chubby (BMI of 31) 5'8" red head with a Southern accent, colored by living in Canada so....

Oh, and my name is Judy.

PS Everyone - what does PB stand for???

So I thought you guys would get a chuckle out of this one...they casted my left foot today with a walking cast. So I'll be gimping to Denver with one leg casted for my surgery! I told my husband, on the bright side of things, at least I only have to pack one shoe so it will save luggage space!

Hey Munchkin..... What did you do to your foot that you need a cast??? :eek:

threedogpeople...... PB stands for "Productive Burp"....

I went in Tuesday for my first fill and things did not go well.... Since I came in by myself and have needle phobia, I asked Natalie if she would come into the room with me.... I think that my port may have moved since Dr K had a hard time finding it on the first try.... He finally used the ultrasound and found my port and then all went well, but everything prior to that was very, very painfull and I think I squeezed Natalie's hand so hard I could have broken it....

Good luck to all of the new and soon to be banded..... :) Hugs to all :)

I'm sorry your fill went bad. It sounds like Natalie could have ended up needing a cast also! Then we would kind of be twins!

I broke a metatarsal bone....again....I do this about every 5 years on the dot (no joke), always at the same time of year and everything. It's almost getting to be comical.

I was really bummed because while I was waiting for my cast to dry, I discovered they now have glow in the dark cast material. How cool would that be? Although if I had any elderly, confused patients this weekend at work, they might be confused about why my foot was glowing when I walked into their room to assess them!

Anyway, I'm just really trying to keep a sense of humor about it at this point. As I said, it was really easy packing, because I only had to pack right shoes! Saved alot of room in my suitcase!

Wow, so much going on since I have been MIA!

WELCOME to our new lapband buddies!

For my surgery, I ended up putting mine on a credit card. I am beyond impressed, Tarheelluv, with your plan and how you are doing it...wow!!! I drive to see him, it is long, about 6 hours each way, but if I were flying to him...man, your idea is brilliant!!!

It is fascinating seeing where all of his patients are coming from all over North america...one of you girls that has been talking to Natalie should mention that she do a map with the red pins, marking where his patients live! That would be cool...

NICNAKNUT

:think

I am sooooooo sad your first fill was horrible~ I wish I would have been there for you! Are you doing better now?? How is the restriction doing? Gosh, I don't even know what to say other than I am sorry and my mom and I are thinking of you and talking about how cute you are! My mom had her second surgery today...ended up being as extensive as the first:cry

ROSEY

great to see you! You have some great input! Were you at the surgical center in Aurora or Parker? How did you confirm the info Dr. K shared with you? He does seem like a pretty darn honest guy, and I think that's awesome you asked him the questions you did...He also seems quite skilled. It is wonderful being to a doc that doesn't treat us like we are on a friggin assembly line. He is so genuine....:)

MUNCHKIN

I think you could buy glow in the dark paint!:)

OH NO....you better ask if Mary at the office will deduct pounds for your cast at your preop weigh in!!!! tee,hee!

AMIERU

My surgery was in Parker, but I am sure you will get some great hotel ideas here. I am so excited you are scheduled! It will change your life!

How many nurses do we have in our group? Or docs?

LAFS

how is your fill going?

Threedogpeople

You will love the new journey you are about to embark on!

TRINA

I would schedule soon...he may be getting booked ahead far...while you are waiting for your phone consult with him, you should be able to secure financing. Let us know how it goes!

I wonder how Tina is doing with baby Tanner!

Hi Miss Shelbiecallie!!

Hey everyone...please share your stories with us! What brought you to bandland?

Be well!

Want2bemeagain,

I already thought of that...I weighed myself without the cast prior to going to the doctors office, then with the cast when I got home, so I know how many pounds to deduct! Pathetic, eh?

Ok so I cried, I mean I was bawling.!!!! The Dr. had to call in a nurse to hold my hand. I totally digressed to being 6. I have no idea why. I am sure if you read my postings you can tell I am a wimp. To think this is my first fill. When I asked him about how much he put in there he told me that it was not necessary to know a number is but a number. To answer as to how I checked on him and what he told me, I ordered a background check. Besides, on the incidents of port replacement and / or punture of port , I checked on the other forum. Have a good weekend

Hi Everyone,

the first fill is doing great. 2 days of liquids and now I can eat small amounts of food . I just have to remember to chew, chew , chew. It only takes a couple of spoonfuls to fill me up. Now if could just learn to eat when I am hungrey and not because the food is there. Take care and keep posting..

Hello i'am Frank from Wa. I'am scheduled with Dr K for Jan 8th. New to the forum so I thought I would say high