Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two questions.......Being sleeves after Lapland.....Opinions on driving to soon

Thank you all for reading and helping. I have researched these topics but looking for some specific advice.

I had lapband 12 years ago and I am curious if anyone else has been sleeved after the band how different are the recoveries? I know different for everyone but in general I’d like to hear experiences.

Needing some advice on my job....I work as a nanny, he is a teenager so I’m really just a taxi driver. I am not telling my boss about this surgery, for personal reasons, but did tell her I’m having surgery. I literally drive him to and from school and can rest the rest of the day. I am having surgery on a Monday and staying over 1 night. I was hoping to be able to drive him on Thursday or Friday. Would I be crazy for doing this? I keep reading different things about some up and feeling good few days after and others not for weeks. I am 39 and other than obese I am in very good health and stay active as I have 3 of my own kids. Just wanting some opinions.

Thanks so much!!!

I was revised from the lapband to the duodenal switch a year ago. I think driving three days after surgery is a little too soon. I would wait at least a week. You might still be on painkillers and still feel rather sore.

Many people who have surgery have pain medicine afterwards. The pain medicine is generally narcotics. The doctor will not give you permission to drive until the narcotics wear off. In my case, I told them I didn't want any pain medicine after the operation. I really didn't need any. I experienced very little pain and most of the pain was gas pain which passed easily because I was constantly walking after surgery. As a result I could drive almost right after I left the hospital. But you will be extremely sore and it will take many days before you will feel like you really want to drive.

9 hours ago, aapb79Gmail.com said:

Thank you for your honesty!! Was your recovery different between the two?

The doctor who did my lapband did not give me any painkillers when I woke up, so I was in agony. I didn't get anything for the first 45 minutes and was in tears on the way home. He performed my lapband as outpatient surgery. I also experienced a lot of tugging from my port area for the first three weeks while it healed under my skin. My duodenal switch was a breeze compared to that. I only stayed on painkillers a few days and was up and going a week later running errands. I was tired, but I felt pretty darn good. Day three was the hardest, for some reason, but after that my body picked up and moved forward with recovery. I think I just plain had a better doctor with my second surgery, hands down.

10 hours ago, aapb79Gmail.com said:

Thank you all for reading and helping. I have researched these topics but looking for some specific advice.

I had lapband 12 years ago and I am curious if anyone else has been sleeved after the band how different are the recoveries? I know different for everyone but in general I’d like to hear experiences.

Needing some advice on my job....I work as a nanny, he is a teenager so I’m really just a taxi driver. I am not telling my boss about this surgery, for personal reasons, but did tell her I’m having surgery. I literally drive him to and from school and can rest the rest of the day. I am having surgery on a Monday and staying over 1 night. I was hoping to be able to drive him on Thursday or Friday. Would I be crazy for doing this? I keep reading different things about some up and feeling good few days after and others not for weeks. I am 39 and other than obese I am in very good health and stay active as I have 3 of my own kids. Just wanting some opinions.

Thanks so much!!!

My surgeon advised against band to sleeve revision due to the sleeve being a higher pressure surgery, and the whole staple line going right through the scar tissue created by the band making that point a weak spot that's more prone to failure.

My revision from Band to RNY, the recovery was about the same. The sleeve does have a slew of potential "issues" during the healing phase, people having tolerance issues with certain foods etc for a little while that might make things interesting, but as far as being able to do stuff like driving, the general rule is, no driving until you are totally off all of the narcotic pain meds.

Had surgery Monday, took my last dose of pain meds Tuesday (they just made me more nauseous), my mom flew in for the surgery and she flew home Wednesday so I drove home from the airport Wednesday afternoon (I even stopped by work for two hours to check on a few things). It was fine. Took Thursday off, went into work for 2-3 hours Friday, had the weekend off, working 4-6 hour days this week at work.

I had lap band in 2005. Had it removed in 2009. Had sleeve surgery this year, April 10th.

My surgeon said that the scar tissue from the lap band was pretty bad and it took him almost twice as long to do my surgery than it would have taken without the lap band history. So, my recovery didn't start out very smooth. I had a quite a bit of pain and found it very difficult to walk or sip during my little time in the hospital.

That being said, I had my surgery 2 states over and had to fly to/from the surgery center. I had a friend with me, but when we returned home, it was dark and she has night blindness. So, 2 days after surgery, I was driving home from the airport. I was uncomfortable, but perfectly capable. *I was NOT on narcotic pain medications.

I would say the biggest risk factor to driving soon post operatively would be whether or not you are on pain medications that affect your cognitive abilities. If so, you shouldn't be driving anyhow, regardless of your recent surgery. Secondly, anytime you are on the road there is risk involved. If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident with fresh surgical incisions, that may complicate things more. Certainly something to consider.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I probably should’ve added that I do know enough not to drive on narcotics but assuming I was off would I be crazy to try that soon!

It’s interesting to read about scar tissue being an issue.y doctor didn’t seem to be concerned at all about the sleeve after band, two separate surgeries obviously and my doctor is very very cautious. Hopefully it doesn’t become an issue.

I appreciate all of the feedback!