Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting Daily Menu/Results/Accountability

Ok, Dr. V. isn't for everyone...but you guys are pretty Outstanding peeps! So I want to park this here. :)

How to MAXIMIZE WLS. (Stay on the Elevator!)

Okay, so I’ve got a question for you guys here.

I’ve been doing (most days) a 16:8 or 18:6 and I’m 4.5 months post sleeve.

I’ve been logging fairly regularly on these days and I’m usually between 50-65 grams of Protein in my eating window.
I’m also somewhere between 600-750 calories and keep the carbs under 25gm daily.
Because of my restricted time to eat, I find it is so much easier to stay hydrated because I’ve usually had at least 42 ounces of Water before I eat my first meal of the day.

One reason I love doing this is that it gives me structure and I desperately need structure right now, but I’ve lost so slowly over the last 8-10 weeks that I’m wondering if I need to change my routine.

My definition of slow is I’m averaging about 6-7 pounds per month which to me seems slow as I’m still in my honeymoon phase.

My current weight is 185
Surgery date weight was 246
Goal is between 145-155 and I’m 5’7”

On 6/23/2019 at 11:52 AM, Sheribear68 said:

Okay, so I’ve got a question for you guys here.

I’ve been doing (most days) a 16:8 or 18:6 and I’m 4.5 months post sleeve.

I’ve been logging fairly regularly on these days and I’m usually between 50-65 grams of Protein in my eating window.
I’m also somewhere between 600-750 calories and keep the carbs under 25gm daily.
Because of my restricted time to eat, I find it is so much easier to stay hydrated because I’ve usually had at least 42 ounces of Water before I eat my first meal of the day.

One reason I love doing this is that it gives me structure and I desperately need structure right now, but I’ve lost so slowly over the last 8-10 weeks that I’m wondering if I need to change my routine.

My definition of slow is I’m averaging about 6-7 pounds per month which to me seems slow as I’m still in my honeymoon phase.

My current weight is 185
Surgery date weight was 246
Goal is between 145-155 and I’m 5’7”

Well girl, you know my stance...I think at 4 months out, you might be premature doing heavy TRE and/or IF. :( But, you're doing you. And so glad it helps you structure your day and that you are able to get your Protein in. I think at this point you might be a little low on protein? But again, I'm just a shmo on the internet.

I know the last 35lbs have been the hardest and slowest for me to lose. Some months I lose nothing, some months I lose 2-4lbs. LOL. But it slowly continues if you keep eating healthy and following the basics. ((hugs))

Congrats on all your success!!!! Woooot!!!

06/26/2019 07:39 AM, FluffyChix said:

Well girl, you know my stance...I think at 4 months out, you might be premature doing heavy TRE and/or IF. :( But, you're doing you. And so glad it helps you structure your day and that you are able to get your Protein in. I think at this point you might be a little low on Protein? But again, I'm just a shmo on the internet.

I know the last 35lbs have been the hardest and slowest for me to lose. Some months I lose nothing, some months I lose 2-4lbs. LOL. But it slowly continues if you keep eating healthy and following the basics. ((hugs))

Congrats on all your success!!!! Woooot!!!

Thanks!
Yesterday I got in over 75 gm Protein, and I’ve started tweaking my foods to sneak in a bit more.

For example, this recipe will never make the food network, but I gave myself a 30gm lunch that was under 250 calories by using a packet of bariatric protein cream of chicken Soup, with a scoop of beef bone Protein Powder, then 1 ounce shredded rotisserie chicken. Put in a smidge of grated cheddar and it was a very high protein nutrition bomb.

In fact, this filled me up so much (I ate it at noon) that I had zero desire for a snack and had dinner of 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 ounce diced ham cubes, and a pack of tuna to round out the days nutrition.

I was also happy because I FINALLY got in 96 ounces of Water.

Honestly very soon I need to sit down, do some math, and figure out what my goal weight needs to be.

I was sleeved so I know that I’m “supposed” to lose about 60-80% of my excess fat, but it’s the estimation of my “excess” that I’m having trouble with.

I figure I was about 100 pounds overweight the day I went in for surgery at 5’7” and 246 pounds, but who can tell me how much of that is excess fat?

Since my current weight is 185, I’ve lost 60, which is assuming that if all of the 100 pounds extra was “extra” fat, then I’m already at one edge of what I’m expected to have lost.

I’m starting to wonder if my goal of losing all extra 100 pounds is realistic.

Lordy I hate it when the self-doubt starts creeping in and I’m questioning my numbers!

4 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Honestly very soon I need to sit down, do some math, and figure out what my goal weight needs to be.

I was sleeved so I know that I’m “supposed” to lose about 60-80% of my excess fat, but it’s the estimation of my “excess” that I’m having trouble with.

I figure I was about 100 pounds overweight the day I went in for surgery at 5’7” and 246 pounds, but who can tell me how much of that is excess fat?

Since my current weight is 185, I’ve lost 60, which is assuming that if all of the 100 pounds extra was “extra” fat, then I’m already at one edge of what I’m expected to have lost.

Lordy I hate it when the self-doubt starts creeping in and I’m questioning my numbers!

You've lost 60 lbs in 5 months, I would say losing close to all your excess weight is very realistic at the pace you're at! No need o doubt yourself! :)

26 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

You've lost 60 lbs in 5 months, I would say losing close to all your excess weight is very realistic at the pace you're at! No need o doubt yourself! :)

Oh, snap! Great math!!!

12lbs a month is awesome!!

35 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Thanks!
Yesterday I got in over 75 gm Protein, and I’ve started tweaking my foods to sneak in a bit more.

For example, this recipe will never make the food network, but I gave myself a 30gm lunch that was under 250 calories by using a packet of bariatric Protein cream of chicken Soup, with a scoop of beef bone Protein Powder, then 1 ounce shredded rotisserie chicken. Put in a smidge of grated cheddar and it was a very high protein nutrition bomb.

In fact, this filled me up so much (I ate it at noon) that I had zero desire for a snack and had dinner of 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 ounce diced ham cubes, and a pack of tuna to round out the days nutrition.

I was also happy because I FINALLY got in 96 ounces of Water.

Gosh, don't doubt yourself! You are amazing and so successful!!!! And I'm wowed by how you are getting your protein in and your fluids!! WTG girl. At 4 months, that's a HUGE accomplishment!!! AND you're losing!

The equation the doc and RD use to estimate % loss of EBW is from the insurance companies archaic terms:

"Ideal Body Weight" = 100lbs for the first 5 feet, then 5lbs for every inch over 5 feet. So at 5'7" your "ideal weight" is 135lbs.

So to calculate your EBW: Wt on Day of Surgery and subtract the Ideal Weight = EBW.

Then you calculate your spec'd % of loss to see what your doctor had to estimate on your chart for your hypothetical goal weight based on your averages.

Thanks so much for the encouragement guys!

I have my goal set for a range of between 145-155 and I’m still 30 pounds over the max.

The last 2 months have really been struggle months, but I honestly do worry that maybe I set my goal numbers too low.
At this point, I need to remind myself to take the one day at a time approach and make sure I’m doing my program daily and don’t beat myself up too badly if I wander off trail from time to time.

So according to your math Fluffy, I was carrying around 110 pounds EBW and therefore can hope to lose up to 90 pounds at the max. That will put me right at the upper range of my goal window, but that doesn’t mean I’m doomed to stay there.
I can still work hard and (eventually) go to more intense IF once that time comes.

I’ve read you guys posting about this and realize this is a special tool that really shouldn’t be used until the timing is right, but I’m going to continue to stay on my modified version for now because the routine is soothing and so far I feel great physically.

Well.... okay, I’m 50 years old and have been MO for the last 22 years, so feeling “great” is up for debate, but it’s all relative. 🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

The last 2 months have really been struggle months, but I honestly do worry that maybe I set my goal numbers too low.
At this point, I need to remind myself to take the one day at a time approach and make sure I’m doing my program daily and don’t beat myself up too badly if I wander off trail from time to time.

So according to your math Fluffy, I was carrying around 110 pounds EBW and therefore can hope to lose up to 90 pounds at the max. That will put me right at the upper range of my goal window, but that doesn’t mean I’m doomed to stay there.
I can still work hard and (eventually) go to more intense IF once that time comes.

I’ve read you guys posting about this and realize this is a special tool that really shouldn’t be used until the timing is right, but I’m going to continue to stay on my modified version for now because the routine is soothing and so far I feel great physically.

Definitely don't beat yourself up! You've done fantastic!

Also, don't sell yourself short. The 60%-80% of excess body weight is only an average. That means some people will lose more, and some people will lose less. You've lost more than average to date, there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to do better than average, period!

But also, you don't have to chase some magical, perfect weight. As long as you're healthy, find the weight that suits you!

Finally, for me, IF is an incredible tool that helps me deal with hunger. At this point, I'm hungry all. the. time.. Right now I'm successfully maintaining, I just roll with it. But all I have to do is push through one bout of hunger (usually because I'm too busy to eat), and bam, it's gone and doesn't come back for hours. That is what I'm keeping in my back pocket for when I begin to struggle with regain.

Thanks so much for the information, for the most I’ve been doing the small meals and trying to stay on track maybe it’s could be I’m not eating the right food I know I’m not counting calories I need to get a list of foods I should and shouldn’t eat for my meals. I have oatmeal and grilled chicken salads, etc and I do need to drink more Water than I do. I’m going to use the list of meals for the days that you sent me

On 6/30/2019 at 3:21 PM, NOLAgirl-inTN said:

Is smoothie king shakes good for Meal Replacements?

What are the ingredients? Usually the recommended targets per Protein Shake for wls patients are :

less than 200 cals,15g + Proteins, less than 6g sugars, varying info on fats...

Good luck!💜

More Edward V. :)

Know your "WHY". Why are you doing IF?

This is a fantastic presentation from Low Carb Down Under. (not trying to bias anyone in favor of LCHF and not carbphobic).