Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The biggest issue with fried chicken is that it has a crazy amount of calories. Often has too much salt and is a gateway food to biscuits/slaw/other high calorie foods that are not gonna work unless you eat a microscopic amount of them.

Will it kill ya once in a while if you eat 200-300 calories worth and measure it out? Nah...

But it's not a great choice.

(that said...I'm stupid and once in a blue moon will stop at KFC. I get the following: )

130 calories Original recipe drumstick 12 g Protien

120 calories Mashed potatoes and gravy 3g Protein

25 calories Green Beans 1g Protein

For 275 calories and 16 grams of protein.......I can get the fried chicken demon out of my system without crashing my diet.

I don't cook it at home...cause then there would be fried chicken in my fridge and my fridge would become the portal to hell. LOL:)

Edited by Creekimp13

chicken nuggets/chicken tenders/boneless wings are another good way to get the fried chicken craving out of your system, since you can buy them in really small quantities from a restaurant.

I've had a single piece of fried chicken twice since surgery. It was tasty and didn't bother my tum. I have avoided fried chicken for years, along with most other fried foods. But chicken and waffles just sounded so good and I knew this place did it well. It didn't set off cravings - and with only one piece, there was nothing left in the fridge to tempt me later. No, not a good choice overall, but I don't regret it.

Thanks all, I may consider an air fryer for fried fish, which I would like to try again.

I think fried fish is the only fried food I truly miss. Everything else I can live without. I'll have to consider an air fryer as well.

Show someone a little kindness each day~Miss Tee

10 minutes ago, Miss Topaz said:

I've had a single piece of fried chicken twice since surgery. It was tasty and didn't bother my tum. I have avoided fried chicken for years, along with most other fried foods. But chicken and waffles just sounded so good and I knew this place did it well. It didn't set off cravings - and with only one piece, there was nothing left in the fridge to tempt me later. No, not a good choice overall, but I don't regret it.

Oh, waffles...waffles would not go well for me post-surgery.

Just got an air fryer and it makes amazing wings have to try fish next I plan on making crab cakes today which if you have never been to Maryland you have never really had a good one lol but mmmmm love my air fryer best 110 bucks I have ever spent

On 6/1/2018 at 11:53 AM, Creekimp13 said:

The biggest issue with fried chicken is that it has a crazy amount of calories. Often has too much salt and is a gateway food to biscuits/slaw/other high calorie foods that are not gonna work unless you eat a microscopic amount of them.

Will it kill ya once in a while if you eat 200-300 calories worth and measure it out? Nah...

But it's not a great choice.

(that said...I'm stupid and once in a blue moon will stop at KFC. I get the following: )

130 calories Original recipe drumstick 12 g Protien

120 calories Mashed potatoes and gravy 3g Protein

25 calories Green Beans 1g Protein

For 275 calories and 16 grams of protein.......I can get the fried chicken demon out of my system without crashing my diet.

I don't cook it at home...cause then there would be fried chicken in my fridge and my fridge would become the portal to hell. LOL:)

I dont eat fast food so not a problem

But all i could think about now is Ghostbusters...

22 hours ago, abefroman329 said:

Oh, waffles...waffles would not go well for me post-surgery.

the waffle was very filling so i concentrated on the chicken. i have made Protein pancakes and waffles since surgery. hubby has adjusted to them and it's nice to make him one of his favorites once in a while and enjoy it with him. but everyone has to do what works for them!

40 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Anyone have reccs on airfryer brands?

Cook's Essentials from QVC was our first one and in my wifes opinion it was the best one. Next was a GoWise USA because she wanted a bigger one. Unfortunately it was just OK. Then we got another brand that neither my wife nor I can remember the name of because it broke within days of using it.

I became so fed up with the revolving door of air fryers that I dropped the money for a Breville Smart Oven Air:

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Smart-Oven-Silver/dp/B01N5UPTZS

This is of course so much more than an air fryer. It is an incredible appliance, but if I am going to be completely honest, for just air frying... the very first one we bought was the best. But you can only do one entire chicken breast or two-ish filets. Literally the only bad thing about that thing.

16 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

Cook's Essentials from QVC was our first one and in my wifes opinion it was the best one. Next was a GoWise USA because she wanted a bigger one. Unfortunately it was just OK. Then we got another brand that neither my wife nor I can remember the name of because it broke within days of using it.

I became so fed up with the revolving door of air fryers that I dropped the money for a Breville Smart Oven Air:

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Smart-Oven-Silver/dp/B01N5UPTZS

This is of course so much more than an air fryer. It is an incredible appliance, but if I am going to be completely honest, for just air frying... the very first one we bought was the best. But you can only do one entire chicken breast or two-ish filets. Literally the only bad thing about that thing.

Thanks!

I have a Farberware 3.2 Quart Air Fryer, that I got off Walmart.com. It is small, but perfect for 1-2 people. It makes the best chicken wings, seriously. They get super crispy with no added oil. Then you can just toss in the sauce of your choice.

This is going on my "I wanna-i need a" list. Sounds like it will smooth out my postop meal planning, now To Get The Durgery!

I'm a Southerner and fried chicken lover too. I suppose if you can eat a piece and it not be a slippery slope, just a very occasional treat, then there's no harm. I probably couldn't do that myself. I'll miss fried chicken, but for me, rice is going to be worse. After a childhood of Southern cooking, most of my adult cooking is Asian, be it Chinese, Thai, Japanese or Indian, and ALL feature rice heavily. Indian food IS my kids "home cooking" and wondering if the cauliflower rice is really going to work.