Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone tried puréed earlier than two weeks?

Puréed

I was sleeved on 5/21/18 and I’m allowed to purée homemade vegetable Soup (w/unflavored PP) which is the first thing I’ve found completely delicious. Being a trained chef, the processed foods taste horrendous to me so homemade is key to be satisfied. I also made a Protien shake with Soy milk, Peanut Butter, teaspoon unsweetened cocoa power, unflavored PP and a couple slices of frozen banana (very high protein). I’m amazed by the comments on these boards have such vastly different nutritional guidelines. Bizarre how info differs from one surgeon to another.

Edited by ThatGirl2121
Meant to go on another thread. Please delete

I was sleeved on 5/21/18 and I’m allowed to purée homemade vegetable Soup (w/unflavored PP) which is the first thing I’ve found completely delicious. Being a trained chef, the processed foods taste horrendous to me so homemade is key to be satisfied. I also made a Protien shake with Soy milk, Peanut Butter, teaspoon unsweetened cocoa power, unflavored PP and a couple slices of frozen banana (very high protein). I’m amazed by the comments on these boards have such vastly different nutritional guidelines. Bizarre how info differs from one surgeon to another.

Certainly - I had pureed stuff along with other soft things like yogurt and scrambled eggs in the hospital (pureed lettuce put me off the idea of pureeing anything) and there are quite a few programs that are similar in their progressions. The basic rule, however, is to follow your doc's or program instructions as we can't know what reasoning they have for their protocols.

I’ve been on full liquids since day 1 at the hospital. I was sleeved on 5/21/18 and I feel like I’m getting bored. I need something different. Dr. Said I can have anything that can go through a straw til day 14. Day 14 is the start of puréed.

Would you mind sharing your homemade recipe? Please :)

Would you mind sharing your homemade recipe? Please :)

olive oil (as needed to coat onion and prevent sticking)
1/2 medium onion, medium dice
Kosher salt
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, medium dice
1 cup additional vegetables of your choice (I used asparagus & mushrooms: medium dice
5-6 cups (1 quart) homemade or store bought chicken or vegetable broth (Swanson cooking stock is your best bet for store bought).

Heat a stock pot with a few drizzles of olive oil and cook onion until translucent (about 5 mins). Add carrots and celery (another 5 mins). Add remaining veggies and cook until soft (the tip of a knife should easily pierce the carrots.) Add several pinches of salt to veggie mixture. Add broth and bring to a boil. Then simmer for approximately 25 mins. Unfortunately we can’t consume tomatoes, black pepper, garlic or wine, but this is a flavorful substitute. You will need to blend the final product. It should be completely smooth with zero particles. Add additional stock to thin if needed (the PP will thicken the end result). I add unflavored Unjury Protein Powder directly to my serving dish to ensure I get it all in. I froze the left overs in ice cube trays and then popped them into freezer bags to reheat for later. Hope you can tolerate this early on. I was also sleeved on 5/21, but it might be a bit early for some.

Puréed

I was sleeved May 10th. I was only on pureed for 3 days and after that a regular diet. I slowly started eating meats and now I'm in the testing stage on weather my stomach likes certain meats. My surgeon had me on 2 days liquids, 3 days soft/pureed foods and after those 5 days after surgery he put me on a regular diet.

I was sleeved 5/18 and I’ve been on full liquids for 8 days. I cannot stomach Protein Shakes anymore. They literally run right through me. I’m calling my surgeon on Tuesday to ask if I can advance to purée foods. I’m starting to feel weak and have muscles craps.

I would be hesident, they set those guidelines up for a reason , have you tried adding a little Benefiber or something similar?

I’m not going off of what my surgeon has asked me to follow. I’m too scared to. I just noticed some people’s plan was changed quicker than 14 days of liquids. I’ve got 7 days to go. Til I hit purée!

14 hours ago, NikkiD247 said:

I was sleeved 5/18 and I’ve been on full liquids for 8 days. I cannot stomach Protein Shakes anymore. They literally run right through me. I’m calling my surgeon on Tuesday to ask if I can advance to purée foods. I’m starting to feel weak and have muscles craps.

Some people develop temporary lactose intolerance for a while post op. Try switching to Protein Water or a dairy free protein supplement and see if you tolerate that better? I mostly have protein water and a collagen hydrolysate (derived from beef gelatin) protein supplement in my Soups and Decaf tea/coffee. And my Multivitamins and benefibre supplements (which makes up for the fibre and added Vitamins I'm not getting from Meal Replacement shakes).

It's crazy how everyone's protocol is so different! I was Clear Liquids for 2 days, then full liquids until day 14, now pureed for 3 weeks, then soft for 2 and finally regular diet on June 25 (was sleeved May 7). I'm so ready for some normal food I can't stand it.

I've noticed the differences in protocol as well. Post op diet for me was 2 days clear liquids, then 3 weeks pureed completely smooth, then another 3 weeks soft foods like scrambled eggs. I'm on day 13 and really want to actually eat something.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app