Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anyone who doesn't stall? And if so...

...what does your diet look like? How many calories and carbs are you eating in a typical day?

I haven't had a stall quite yet but I believe I am heading for one because I am not losing weight quite as quickly now. Maybe a pound every other day. I am now on the soft foods stage and I am probably 800-900 calories a day. I am also really starting to go to the gym now. Always Protein first - chicken, tuna, turkey, greek yogurt, and stuff like that. Then fruits and vegetables.

Edited by Mattymatt

I didn't have any big stalls until almost a year out. And, I define a stall as 3+ weeks with no movement on the scale. I would have a week where my weight was the same or up a pound but then the next week (or in a few days) it would come back down. I didn't really track calories but I was probably in the 800-1000 range and now I'm more like 1500. And like Mattymatt said, always Protein first and then fruit/veggies/starch. I don't think a stall means you are doing anything wrong though. My nutritionist said that some people lose weight like going down a ramp with consistent losses every week and some people lose weight like going down stairs - weeks of nothing and then big drops. We all end up at the same place though.

It depends on the type of surgery. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery and my weight loss was like a plane in a nosedive. My weight dropped quickly at the beginning but then tapered off the closer I approached the ground and then leveled off at 7 months when I transitioned into the Maintenance phase. I might have seen a couple stalls along the way but they only lasted for a day or two.

But generally sleeve patients experience stalls. It is almost their middle name. They even coined the phrase "Embrace the Stall".

I have not experienced a stall yet. This is going by the definition of three weeks of no weight lost. I definitely have had a week or two here or there with no loss...but normally it’s just one week. Keep in mind I started at a much higher weight than you though.

I eat under 50 grams of carbs a day but maybe more importantly I’ve noticed my grams of sugar is almost always less than 10, sometimes as low as 3 or 4 for a whole day. Calorie wise I range between 650-900 depending on how busy or active I am. Protein I’m usually between 65-90 grams each day.

I expect to be stuck at a few weights that have been set points in the past for me and suspect that I haven’t yet because when I had my surgery I was the heaviest I had been in my entire life.

Don’t get too discouraged. Change a few things up in your diet if you are eating the same things over and over. Maybe try having a higher calorie day once or twice a week. Try a new exercise.

You will get there!

My experience has been a series of plateaus and sudden drops. I feel like the coyote in a road runner cartoon. Fall sharply to the next ledge, stay there for weeks, then another drop, and another stall.

Bodies are weird.

For thousands of years we've developed dozens of adaptations to fight starvation. This whole problem of fighting deadly extra weight is a very new to human evolution.