Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MAY sleevers???

I am very much enjoying the freedom to spend time in my home, to drive to nice places to walk, to eat my real (liquefied) foods and sleep in my comfy bed :) Tomorrow I will be 1 week post op and I'm happy to report I'm chugging along just fine (even if the families chicken enchiladas smelled extra nice in the oven tonight lol).

Big hugs to those both pre and post op, and especially for those doing it tough at the moment. :780_sparkling_heart:

Hi, are any May post op sleevers really struggling getting adequate Protein in.

I’m really worried as the protein Breakfast drink they recommended made me really nauseous. It was so milky and absolutely loaded with sugar. I am noticing milky things are making me really queasy since surgery.

my protein Water only has 20-30g and takes me all day to drink. I am so thirsty I realised I got dehydrated as I didn’t have enough plain water being so stuck on the protein. I know soft diet will help a bit as I’ll be able to have some meat.

is anyone else having this issue or got any ideas?

53 minutes ago, jules1 said:

Hi, are any May post op sleevers really struggling getting adequate Protein in.

I’m really worried as the Protein Breakfast drink they recommended made me really nauseous. It was so milky and absolutely loaded with sugar. I am noticing milky things are making me really queasy since surgery.

my protein Water only has 20-30g and takes me all day to drink. I am so thirsty I realised I got dehydrated as I didn’t have enough plain Water being so stuck on the protein. I know soft diet will help a bit as I’ll be able to have some meat.

is anyone else having this issue or got any ideas?

Sorry to hear that Jules. *Hugz* what breakfast drink are they recommending? Is it a standard Meal Replacement shake it something else? Can your body cope with just regular 1% or skim milk? (I stick with the 1% because it tastes much better than skim to me). I haven't had any full serves of meal replacement protein powders post op, as I couldn't tolerate them early in the day or at room temp, pre op they had to be made with lots of ice and icy water in a blender to drown out the texture and taste, but the thick frozen texture would be too much in our liquid phase. Was it you who posted about up and go? If so, that stuff is nasty, has lots of soy and tastes sweet and fake - it would make me sick too (and cause a headache to boot).

Are you able to swallow much plain water? I didn't focus on protein the first 3-4 days post op, just on trying to increase my liquid intake with frequent sips of water, bodie'z protein water or watered down protein water.

You said you only like the orange bodie'z water, are you using the powdered one (30g protein) or the ready to drink that is only 20g protein and has added caffeine and guarana which I would strongly recommend against?

Why don't you try diluting 2 scoops of the orange powder with a whole litre of water? You may find that far easier to drink throughout the day. And something like a cup of tea, (or in my case, a lovely Decaf coffee made with skim/1% milk - you could even get a decent one from a cafe, though they usually use pre-op ground decaf)

13 minutes ago, Taoz said:

Sorry to hear that Jules. *Hugz* what Breakfast drink are they recommending? Is it a standard Meal Replacement shake it something else? Can your body cope with just regular 1% or skim milk? (I stick with the 1% because it tastes much better than skim to me). I haven't had any full serves of meal replacement Protein powders post op, as I couldn't tolerate them early in the day or at room temp, pre op they had to be made with lots of ice and icy Water in a blender to drown out the texture and taste, but the thick frozen texture would be too much in our liquid phase. Was it you who posted about up and go? If so, that stuff is nasty, has lots of soy and tastes sweet and fake - it would make me sick too (and cause a Headache to boot).

Are you able to swallow much plain water? I didn't focus on protein the first 3-4 days post op, just on trying to increase my liquid intake with frequent sips of water, bodie'z protein water or watered down protein water.

You said you only like the orange bodie'z water, are you using the powdered one (30g protein) or the ready to drink that is only 20g protein and has added caffeine and guarana which I would strongly recommend against?

Why don't you try diluting 2 scoops of the orange powder with a whole litre of water? You may find that far easier to drink throughout the day. And something like a cup of tea, (or in my case, a lovely Decaf coffee made with skim/1% milk - you could even get a decent one from a cafe, though they usually use pre-op ground decaf)

Hi Taoz, yep it was that awful up and go and I really don’t see how drinking 100g + sugar is worth the 16g protein it gives you.If I’ve tried adding the bodiez powder to drinks but it just has a strange taste that makes me want to vomit. I’m just having the ready made drinks-1 per day. I think I’m just going to say to clinic that it is what it is and until I start soft diet I’ll just have to cope with 30g protein per day. I made a white bean, potato and Parmesan Soup to try to give me extra energy. I am going to manage that way as there’s no point in feeling sick and overdosing on sugar. Thanks for suggestions and I’ll have a look in health food to see if any ideas jump out. Are you getting to 60g protein per day yourself or do you find it a struggle also.

1 hour ago, jules1 said:

Edited by Taoz

10 minutes ago, jules1 said:

Hi Taoz, yep it was that awful up and go and I really don’t see how drinking 100g + sugar is worth the 16g Protein it gives you.If I’ve tried adding the bodiez powder to drinks but it just has a strange taste that makes me want to vomit. I’m just having the ready made drinks-1 per day. I think I’m just going to say to clinic that it is what it is and until I start soft diet I’ll just have to cope with 30g protein per day. I made a white bean, potato and Parmesan Soup to try to give me extra energy. I am going to manage that way as there’s no point in feeling sick and overdosing on sugar. Thanks for suggestions and I’ll have a look in health food to see if any ideas jump out. Are you getting to 60g protein per day yourself or do you find it a struggle also.

definitely ditch the up and go, that stuff is just nasty. I didn't like the taste when I tried to add "unflavored" bodiez protein to a drink or porridge (pre op), it imparts a weird taste.

If you are having the berry or kiwi RTD bodie'z protein Water, I rekon focus on having at least one of those split up in a few periods through the day, watered down if needed, and try to get lots of water and other liquids at other times, including Decaf tea/coffee if that goes down easier. Avoid the orange RTD as you don't want to be dealing with added caffeine and guarana, and they are less protein to boot. If orange is the only flavour you can stand go with the orange powder (just let it sit at least 5 minutes after mixing to finish dissolving properly).

Before today I wasn't even making it to 300 calories a day, but was progressively getting more water/liquids (500ml -> 1L -> 1.5L) and slowly getting the protein content up. With a larger volume of thin pureed Soups yesterday and especially today I made it to 275calories/45g protein/1.2L water yesterday, and 639calories/56g protein/2L water (once I finish this decaf cup of tea) today. I'm making sure I get my 2 Multivitamins, and my 3 calcium&VitD chews (2hrs apart from other tablets) too.

Hello, today is the day guys. I check in @5:30 am, still feeling a little anxious and nervous. I just want this to be over already. I actually went to sleep last night which was a surprise. I never really get sleep the night before surgery. I'll check back in after

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, DippedInChocolate said:

Hello, today is the day guys. I check in @5:30 am, still feeling a little anxious and nervous. I just want this to be over already. I actually went to sleep last night which was a surprise. I never really get sleep the night before surgery. I'll check back in after

Best of luck for a smooth op and recovery. We will be waiting here to cheer you on after your surgery hun :)

Well today is the day! Surgery is in 3 hours. I can't believe it.

I lost 15.2 pounds and about 20% of my sanity on the pre-op diet. I was faaaaaaaar from perfect, but we got there in the end. I am so unbelievably nervous right now.

Just now, CleaClo said:

Well today is the day! Surgery is in 3 hours. I can't believe it.

I lost 15.2 pounds and about 20% of my sanity on the pre-op diet. I was faaaaaaaar from perfect, but we got there in the end. I am so unbelievably nervous right now.

Well done on the pre-op, and you've got this!!! see you on the losers bench shortly :)

Wow the day of surgery and we just had an earthquake🤨🤨. Did anybody in S. Cali just feel that

33 minutes ago, DippedInChocolate said:

Wow the day of surgery and we just had an earthquake🤨🤨. Did anybody in S. Cali just feel that

I just looked that up. 4.5 is pretty substantial. Looks like the world is moving for you today hun! Take it as a positive sign :)

11 hours ago, baribetty said:

Day 5

WELL I just cried over the idea of chips and guacamole.

HW 289
SW 262
VSG 5/2/18
Kaiser, Ontario - Dr. Chin

One week post op and still on Clear Liquids. Yesterday I sucked the seasoning off of 5 hot wing flavored pretzel pieces. It was amazing. LOL

52 minutes ago, GalNOLA said:

One week post op and still on Clear Liquids. Yesterday I sucked the seasoning off of 5 hot wing flavored pretzel pieces. It was amazing. LOL

Oh my God. You had me in stitches over the pretzels🤣🤣🤣