Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MAY sleevers???

48 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

May 9th is my surgery. It got a bit rocky as my mother was going to help me with my 15 month old, but she just found out her galbladder removal is May 10th so... had to scrabble a bit to get things figured out haha. But got my hubby staying home with me the first several days, then my Sister in Law coming up to stay with us for 2 weeks since I won't be able to lift my daughter. Getting nervous, and so hangry on this liquid diet. But I've stuck to it! (Hard to sit here and drink my Protein shakes/broth while feeding my daughter Beef Stroganoff though...)

Am I the only one who smells other people's food during the liquid diet stage? :48_weary: It just smells so good.

Hi Astro cat, it was so hard dishing up yummy roast potatoes etc to my family. I did cheat a little but with ok choices not junk. I had chicken vindaloo the night before I went to fluids just before surgery which was my worst cheat, but so worth it-yum. Saying that I did not lose much preop like others. I only lost about 3kg. It’s good you’re sticking to it as you’ll see it on scales.

For me anyway it is just as hard post op. I made my kids cheese on toast this morning and used lovely soft thick white bread from the bakery and honestly could have eaten whole plate. This is where head hunger comes in. I am noticing every burger add and my mouth watering at every cooking show(I basically don’t watch those at the moment)

i am sure when I go to soft diet and can make nourishing healthy meals my head hunger will improve.

2 minutes ago, jules1 said:

Hi Astro cat, it was so hard dishing up yummy roast potatoes etc to my family. I did cheat a little but with ok choices not junk. I had chicken vindaloo the night before I went to fluids just before surgery which was my worst cheat, but so worth it-yum. Saying that I did not lose much preop like others. I only lost about 3kg. It’s good you’re sticking to it as you’ll see it on scales.

For me anyway it is just as hard post op. I made my kids cheese on toast this morning and used lovely soft thick white bread from the bakery and honestly could have eaten whole plate. This is where head hunger comes in. I am noticing every burger add and my mouth watering at every cooking show(I basically don’t watch those at the moment)

i am sure when I go to soft diet and can make nourishing healthy meals my head hunger will improve.

Oh my gosh yes, I made fish and roasted potatoes for my husband and daughter the other night. I'm not a huge cod fan but my god when you are eating nothing but Jello, pudding, cream of wheat and broth... it's awfully tempting. Especially the roasted potatoes. (I've never met a potato I didn't love.)

It's been really tempting to have a cheat, there were times I thought why even bother if I'm going to feel like this, but I know the hunger goes away and when I break habits and lose weight and get healthier so I can live a longer life with my hubby and see my daughter grow, I know it will be worth it! I actually panicked on Saturday because I was at my parents, and I was putting their cupcakes in containers for them and got a very small smidge of frosting on my finger just from brushing against it. I licked it without thinking and then panicked spitting in the sink.. like it really would have hurt me that bad- but I just kept thinking "I'm not going to ruin the pre op diet this way."

How far out are you? Commercials and Facebook has been hard because of so many food items being shared around. My hubby has been awesome feeding my daughter most of the time when he's home so I dont have to be around it as much. Even food I don't like is beginning to sound like a big treat haha.

1 hour ago, AstroCat said:

Oh my gosh yes, I made fish and roasted potatoes for my husband and daughter the other night. I'm not a huge cod fan but my god when you are eating nothing but Jello, pudding, cream of wheat and broth... it's awfully tempting. Especially the roasted potatoes. (I've never met a potato I didn't love.)

It's been really tempting to have a cheat, there were times I thought why even bother if I'm going to feel like this, but I know the hunger goes away and when I break habits and lose weight and get healthier so I can live a longer life with my hubby and see my daughter grow, I know it will be worth it! I actually panicked on Saturday because I was at my parents, and I was putting their cupcakes in containers for them and got a very small smidge of frosting on my finger just from brushing against it. I licked it without thinking and then panicked spitting in the sink.. like it really would have hurt me that bad- but I just kept thinking "I'm not going to ruin the pre op diet this way."

How far out are you? Commercials and Facebook has been hard because of so many food items being shared around. My hubby has been awesome feeding my daughter most of the time when he's home so I dont have to be around it as much. Even food I don't like is beginning to sound like a big treat haha.

I got sleeved May 2nd and since surgery lost 4kg. My hubby is sure they are just starving us really to get our weight down and for sure at the moment he’s totally right😄 what I did to make it through my preop diet was make a hearty chunky vegetable Soup using allowed veges and I also made a vegetable curry.-lots of eggplant,zucchini etc and the base was curry powder and tinned Tomato or passata. Nothing in either that was bad but a bowl of either really satisfied me when I was getting over hungry. My dietician said go for extra veges 1st if hungry and then Protein if that doesn’t work. The purpose of diet is to shrink liver and having appropriate veges won’t hurt at all.

By the way I’m jealous-a hubby that will cook. Lucky girl.

I got sleeved May 2nd and since surgery lost 4kg. My hubby is sure they are just starving us really to get our weight down and for sure at the moment he’s totally right[emoji1] what I did to make it through my preop diet was make a hearty chunky vegetable Soup using allowed veges and I also made a vegetable curry.-lots of eggplant,zucchini etc and the base was curry powder and tinned Tomato or passata. Nothing in either that was bad but a bowl of either really satisfied me when I was getting over hungry. My dietician said go for extra veges 1st if hungry and then Protein if that doesn’t work. The purpose of diet is to shrink liver and having appropriate veges won’t hurt at all.

Did you blend all the ingredients? Are you past the liquid stage already??

HW 289
SW 262
VSG 5/2/18
Kaiser, Ontario - Dr. Chin

Day 5

WELL I just cried over the idea of chips and guacamole.

HW 289
SW 262
VSG 5/2/18

2 minutes ago, baribetty said:

Day 5

WELL I just cried over the idea of chips and guacamole.

HW 289
SW 262
VSG 5/2/18

Now I’ve got lodged in my head hot chips and gravy 🤦‍♀️

5 minutes ago, baribetty said:

Did you blend all the ingredients? Are you past the liquid stage already??

HW 289
SW 262
VSG 5/2/18

My preop diet was low carb Veg and lean Protein only so I left everything nice and chunky. I am still on Fluid stage post op so am blending Soups thin now. My struggle is getting enough protein in as I’m only managing 30g a day as I hate the taste of anything except bodiez flavoured orange protein Water. The surgery just rang me and suggested up&go drink which is a ready to go Breakfast drink in oz, so I’ll get the the vanilla and make it into an iced coffee in my blender with my kids no added sugar ice cream. It will hopefully give me some energy as I’m feeling weak and hungry today.

Hi Baribetty, I’m curious about these preop liquid diets popular in America. I wonder why liquid is better than actual healthy low carb vege group just eaten normally. It all dissolves in stomach same way. Did dietician explain it to you?

I booked my surgery back in February, so started my pre-op diet back then by having Optifast for breakfast. In March I moved to Breakfast and lunch and then in April moved to three meals a day, but with a bowl of pan fried or steamed vegetables as well. I lost 15kg in that three months pre-op. I was also swimming at least twice a week. I had plenty of cheat days, infact my day before surgery I had Macca's, figured it was probably the last time I'll have it for a long time, if ever. I guess starting so much earlier on pre-op diet allowed me to be a bit more flexible.

My surgery was Friday morning, and I'm coping fine with the liquids only because as much as I don't enjoy the OptiFast, I've just gotten use to having them. I also find blending the Protein powder with ice makes in more bearable, nice and cold and you can hardly taste them. I'm also having custard and thin yoghurt for something different. I've dropped another 5kgs since surgery. Hiccups and stomach gurgling seems to have gone, still quote sore, especially the site where they pull the stomach out from, but at least I'm mostly sleeping through the night now.

1 hour ago, jules1 said:

I got sleeved May 2nd and since surgery lost 4kg. My hubby is sure they are just starving us really to get our weight down and for sure at the moment he’s totally right😄 what I did to make it through my preop diet was make a hearty chunky vegetable Soup using allowed veges and I also made a vegetable curry.-lots of eggplant,zucchini etc and the base was curry powder and tinned Tomato or passata. Nothing in either that was bad but a bowl of either really satisfied me when I was getting over hungry. My dietician said go for extra veges 1st if hungry and then Protein if that doesn’t work. The purpose of diet is to shrink liver and having appropriate veges won’t hurt at all.

Oh he doesn't cook much.. but he does the dishes most of the time and I made up a bunch of food before and he's been heating it up and feeding her :D He's been my rock though, he even offered to go on my diet with me but I told him I'm not going to torture him that way. His sister will be coming up though and she's gonna cook for them and said when I can eat more she'll be making smoothies.

Congrats on the weight loss! It definitely feels like they are starving us.. but as long as it's safe lol. I'm jealous of your pre-op diet... I'm not allowed most of that. I can have raw veggies only (which I'm going to be honest, I only like cooked so I haven't had any veggies...) and that's only for 7-3 days before. Other than that I can only have sugar free Jello, applesauce, popcicles, jello, cream of wheat/rice, plain oatmeal, broth, or Protein Drinks. Starting today I couldn't have the raw veggies even, and tomorrow I can't have anything except the broth/protein drinks/popcicles/jello. So I've been pretty much having 2 Protein drinks, some applesauce, pudding, or jello for most of the week. First few days I had cream of wheat though so at least it was something warm!

7 minutes ago, ivastic said:

I booked my surgery back in February, so started my pre-op diet back then by having Optifast for Breakfast. In March I moved to Breakfast and lunch and then in April moved to three meals a day, but with a bowl of pan fried or steamed vegetables as well. I lost 15kg in that three months pre-op. I was also swimming at least twice a week. I had plenty of cheat days, infact my day before surgery I had Macca's, figured it was probably the last time I'll have it for a long time, if ever. I guess starting so much earlier on pre-op diet allowed me to be a bit more flexible.

My surgery was Friday morning, and I'm coping fine with the liquids only because as much as I don't enjoy the Optifast, I've just gotten use to having them. I also find blending the Protein powder with ice makes in more bearable, nice and cold and you can hardly taste them. I'm also having custard and thin yoghurt for something different. I've dropped another 5kgs since surgery. Hiccups and stomach gurgling seems to have gone, still quote sore, especially the site where they pull the stomach out from, but at least I'm mostly sleeping through the night now.

Hi Ivastic, congrats on the loss. 20kg wow. That will definitely show in your appearance not just scales. So nice to chat in kg also. I have to keep googling pounds to kg for American posters.

7 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

Oh he doesn't cook much.. but he does the dishes most of the time and I made up a bunch of food before and he's been heating it up and feeding her :D He's been my rock though, he even offered to go on my diet with me but I told him I'm not going to torture him that way. His sister will be coming up though and she's gonna cook for them and said when I can eat more she'll be making smoothies.

Congrats on the weight loss! It definitely feels like they are starving us.. but as long as it's safe lol. I'm jealous of your pre-op diet... I'm not allowed most of that. I can have raw veggies only (which I'm going to be honest, I only like cooked so I haven't had any veggies...) and that's only for 7-3 days before. Other than that I can only have sugar free Jello, applesauce, popcicles, Jello, cream of wheat/rice, plain oatmeal, broth, or Protein Drinks. Starting today I couldn't have the raw veggies even, and tomorrow I can't have anything except the broth/protein drinks/popcicles/jello. So I've been pretty much having 2 Protein drinks, some applesauce, pudding, or jello for most of the week. First few days I had cream of wheat though so at least it was something warm!

Wow that sounds hard. I so don’t get the logic behind that. Like why will cooking the veg be bad for the liver but you can have applesauce which means apples are cooked. I just flatly refused the Protein drinks and my dietician pulled out his ready to go food alternative preop diet sheet for us difficult patients I guess that can’t tolerate Optifast.

Hi Baribetty, I’m curious about these preop liquid diets popular in America. I wonder why liquid is better than actual healthy low carb vege group just eaten normally. It all dissolves in stomach same way. Did dietician explain it to you?

Hi Jules! I actually wasn’t assigned a liquid pre-op diet! I was only supposed to do liquid the day before, and nothing at all after midnight, but that’s just to prepare for surgery. I did lose 26 pounds before surgery but my surgeon never mentioned that it would be any different if I hadn’t.
I think it’s all about the liver and easy access to the stomach.

HW 289
SW 262
VSG 5/2/18

May 21st here!! Sooo excited! Go for my pre-op visit tomorrow. Wondering when they will start me on my all liquid pre-op diet. Anyone already started theirs?

Taoz, I’m glad everything’s going well for you so far. How long do you expect to be there? Have you been drinking and walking? My surgery begins tomorrow afternoon at 2:50 pm which seems late to me. They’re saying I should be ready to go home at 1pm the next day. I hope they’re right but it all seems so fast. Tonight I’m really not nervous. I’m overtired from getting everything ready for post op. I’m sure I’ll feel different tomorrow! Hang in there Taoz. You got this!

Good Luck and sending prayers[emoji173]️

Staci
SW 219.5
Pre-Surgery Weight 207.0
Current Weight 201.6
Gastric Sleeve 5/2/18
Surgery Date 5/2/18
Gastric Sleeve