Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your right. surgery is not for everyone.

It's true the surgery is not for everyone. However, u can enjoy the foods later on. It's a head start to lose weight but it's up to you to continue maintaining it. I'm not going to lie, I did regret it bcuz I would see ppl eat, smell yummy food, and I was here not eating. I cried. I'm 3 months post op tomorrow and I'm doing great. I'm seeing the weight drop, I'm eating a lil more, and I'm self conscious of what I'm eating now. It's hard the first 3 weeks as far as not eating n the discomfort of the incisions. It's not a horrible pain like c-section or any other major surgery. Anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's true the surgery is not for everyone. However, u can enjoy the foods later on. It's a head start to lose weight but it's up to you to continue maintaining it. I'm not going to lie, I did regret it bcuz I would see ppl eat, smell yummy food, and I was here not eating. I cried. I'm 3 months post op tomorrow and I'm doing great. I'm seeing the weight drop, I'm eating a lil more, and I'm self conscious of what I'm eating now. It's hard the first 3 weeks as far as not eating n the discomfort of the incisions. It's not a horrible pain like c-section or any other major surgery. Anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I appreciate the honestly . I've had a c section - and I've also had a Tummy Tuck two years ago and that was worse than the c section . It was a terrible
Awful recovery . I had lost 80 pounds alone and got into body building and then had the tuck . After that I fell into such a deep and dark depression . Which I am currently still dealing with . I've gained about 50 pounds back after the tummy tuck . My binge eating creeped back but I have more control
Over that now. I keep thinking because I lost it before I should be able to do it again alone but I keep yotoing with weight watchers . But I'm
Not binging and that's huge for me . I knkw I have been through some serious recovery time with other surgeries . But VSG seems worlds different. And I'm not sure if I should have he hernia repair if at all any more ! Then the doctor put the idea of VSG in my head and now I'm all mentally messed up trying to figure out what I want for myself .

Oh jamieohhh I am not going to be your favorite person. i am your height and at your age probably the same poundage.At 37.4 BMI you are a time bomb, sure you might not detonate today or even tomorrow, but eventually,it will happen. Let a Bariatric Granny tell you how it is. I told myself I wasn't obese I was a big and most of my life off and on, i was. I was born when the Second World War was finishing, my mother nursed me, yeah breastfed is best fed, at least Mama and her family thought so. My mother's doctor insisted she feed me a 8oz bottle of Carnation evaporated milk formula after each nursing. Its well know once fat cells develop they are there for life. Sure you might deflate them. but they'll hang around. At the age of 1 --I was 35 inches tall and weighed 36 lbs. Yeah the size of a chunky 2 to 2 1/2 year old. I remained tall and although I slendered out some my flesh has always been soft, I became bone strong but never muscular. And yeah I played as much as everyone else. Things were going on fairly smooth until puberty hit. Went from a 30AA to a 34C kaboom, still pretty good until I turned 15. I want from 110 to 175+ in less than 6 months. Mama drug me into the doctor cause I was still eating normal portion sizes. Doctor reassures her it's just puberty, as soon as her hormones level out she'll lose that weight. Been waiting close to 60 years, hasn't happened yet. In my early adulthood I continued to gain albeit slowly. I left 100--l and and went into the 200s by the time I had my children I was about 250ish, every pregnancy I lost but then it got me again. I was never a binge eater exactly, I was a mommy and rather than refrigerate things I scraped out many a casserole. I might also mention I am double-jointed-- one of its cute facets is joint laxity. The selfsame ability to clap the soles of one's feet together predisposes you to arthritis 85%. So it hurts to move, I was offically diagnosed with degenerative arthritis at 25, although I continued to try to stay active it hurt more and more. I was the reverse of most, I gained weight because I didn't move as much. And my joints began to break down until they were bone on bone. Partly from arthritis but a good contribution from lugging excess pounds around. Now I've had 2 knee replacements, sure they're good to have but at best 85-90% as good as natural ones. I really should have my hips done too but hope my weight loss surgery will buy me some time there. You will, by the time you reach my age- 72, be over 300 lbs like me. You do know overweight does shorten your lifespan? Also increases your chances of diabetes and cancer. The fact I've dodged both is a minor miracle. It is a fluke that I have low blood pressure, low cholesterol, no diabetes and no cancers, no heart disease.What I do have sleep apnea, have to sleep with a c pap mask at night, lungs and legs that won't let me walk too far. On my good days I walk with a cane. If I try to do something I have to rest half way thru. Your body slows down, you either sit down a lot or you stay lying down in bed cause you hate the pain. You pop NSAIDS like they are m&ms, you take so many you get gastritis and an ulcer. Ulcer hasn't been fun, constant hunger sensations that food doesn't satisfy. People your age start dying and you wonder if you'll be next. And you get sick and tired of being sick and tired. Life gets tedious, instead of Good Morning Lord, it's a beautiful day" it becomes" Oh Lord why did You let me live another day?"

This is why at 72 I am planning surgery. I have stared my own mortality in the face and it isn't pretty. I should have a RnY early-mid March at Mount Carmel in Columbus Ohio. It will be an uphill battle for me, I may not heal as quickly as the younger people on Bariatric Pal. But the hope of a thinner healthier life is still in front of me. I find I'm not ready to die yet, I am committing my remaining strength towards this goal. I've been given hope, I was a failure with diets & the surgery will give me a new tool to work with. Would I have listened to somebody like me at your age? Probably not, I still thought I could beat it with the right diet, Lord knows I tried so many of them. One of my doctors said to me "I'd like you to weigh 148 pounds" told him I would too but I've lived long enough to realize without surgery it isn't going to happen. And any rate I hope you take my advice, get your surgery and improve your life before it's almost too late. God Bless

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

What happens if you drink and eat ? This is one of the reasons I and leaning towards not having surgery .

If that's what's stopping you. Maybe your making the right choice.
It's not actually so bad.
I drink 20 mins after eating. I'm 7m post. If I forget and drink it hurts and I vommit lol. But 20 minutes of chit chat then have a drink doesn't make much difference to me anymore.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I appreciate the honestly . I've had a c section - and I've also had a Tummy Tuck two years ago and that was worse than the c section . It was a terrible
Awful recovery . I had lost 80 pounds alone and got into body building and then had the tuck . After that I fell into such a deep and dark depression . Which I am currently still dealing with . I've gained about 50 pounds back after the tummy tuck . My binge eating creeped back but I have more control
Over that now. I keep thinking because I lost it before I should be able to do it again alone but I keep yotoing with weight watchers . But I'm
Not binging and that's huge for me . I knkw I have been through some serious recovery time with other surgeries . But VSG seems worlds different. And I'm not sure if I should have he hernia repair if at all any more ! Then the doctor put the idea of VSG in my head and now I'm all mentally messed up trying to figure out what I want for myself .

To compare. I've had. C section. And vsg
Recovered very well from both. Vsg is key hole so wasn't as bad for me.

Yes you can lose the weight again your self. But vsg helps me feel like I'm more likely to keep it off. But I understand your fears.

To put it bluntly. Some people who don't repair their hernia die. So I think you need to get a grip. I understand your overwhelmed but you have kids . You can't let this stress and overwhelming feeling make you be silly. You need your hernia repared . That shouldn't be an if or but.