Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had revision from Lap-Band to SIPS

I had a lap-band placed in 2006. Lost about 50 lbs, then gained it all back and more. In recent years, had all sorts of problems and just wanted it out. While looking into getting it out, learned that I could do a revision and was told about SIPS.

Anyway, the first evening after surgery ( yesterday 2/14/18), I was mostly groggy and didn’t eat or drink much. Other than feeling a little crampy, not experiencing any major pain at all. I’m sure the IV is probably loaded with pain killers.

Currently, I’m sitting up and I’ve written out cards for my husband to mail, banged out more work on my dissertation as I’m going to do a virtual meeting with my advisor in about 30 minutes, and I’ve managed to get Breakfast and lunch down.

I feel really good, although my doctors said it took over 5 hours! He said that I had a ton of adhesions from a prior hysterectomy and the lap-band, so he had to clean that all the up.

I will spend another night in the hospital and hope to go home on Friday.

Yay! It’s done!

Congrats! I was so friggen happy to get rid of that torture device. So happy to get rid of the port and the aches and pains that it gave me.

You’re gonna love your SIPS!

32 minutes ago, SIPS in Seattle said:

Congrats! I was so friggen happy to get rid of that torture device. So happy to get rid of the port and the aches and pains that it gave me.

Me too!! It was a relief to not have that port under my skin any longer. I lost more in my first week with my DS than I did the entire time I had my lap-band. That was such a stinkin' waste of money. I have absolutely no regrets with my DS.

I had sips on 12/11 and it’s been incredible! Glad it all went well for you

4 hours ago, SIPS in Seattle said:

I’m looking forward to it!

I am looking to have band revision as well. I wanted traditional DS but there are no in network providers. Now looking at SIPS but I am not sure if insurance will cover it. Did insurance cover revision to SIPS for you? If not, how much did it cost?

I am looking to have band revision as well. I wanted traditional DS but there are no in network providers. Now looking at SIPS but I am not sure if insurance will cover it. Did insurance cover revision to SIPS for you? If not, how much did it cost?

Mine was covered by insurance. I have Aetna POS II.

Mine wasn’t a revision but yes, covered in full

SIPS procedure 12/11/17
SW 307
CW 214 GW 160

9 minutes ago, Suwade said:

Mine wasn’t a revision but yes, covered in full

SIPS procedure 12/11/17
SW 307
CW 214 GW 160

Do you happen to know what CPT codes were used to get approval?

I don’t I’m sorry. Paid for thru BCBS

SIPS procedure 12/11/17
SW 307
CW 214 GW 160

What is SIPS if u don’t mind me asking?

Not at all! It’s a sleeve (only 1/3 cut out) and then 1/2 intestines are bypassed. It’s all the good of both VSG and bypass and none of the bad. The drs that have done a lot of them are from Salt Lake City and ones in nyc. Check it out on YouTube

SIPS procedure 12/11/17
SW 307
CW 214 GW 160

I just got my surgery date of May 23rd for Revision band to SIPS surgery. I am so excited right now! I know that someone had asked what CPT code was being used for this surgery and when I got my acceptance letter from Anthem BCBS they used 43845 and it was listed as Bilopancreatic Bypass with Duodenal Switch with partial gastrectomy, pylorus preserving duodenoileostomy and ileoileosteomy. Confused, I called my surgeons office and asked and they said 'yes that is the SIPS procedure with band extract' . I should mention that I am having my surgery at Nebraska Medicine.

17 minutes ago, 4EVRLITE said:

I just got my surgery date of May 23rd for Revision band to SIPS surgery. I am so excited right now! I know that someone had asked what CPT code was being used for this surgery and when I got my acceptance letter from Anthem BCBS they used 43845 and it was listed as Bilopancreatic Bypass with Duodenal Switch with partial gastrectomy, pylorus preserving duodenoileostomy and ileoileosteomy. Confused, I called my surgeons office and asked and they said 'yes that is the SIPS procedure with band extract' . I should mention that I am having my surgery at Nebraska Medicine.

I'd just double check with your insurance that they will in fact cover the single anastomosis procedure with a 300cm common channel. That procedure code is for the traditional switch and I have heard a couple of stories of people being approved under that code but then the insurance would not pay because it was actually the SIPS that was performed. I just don't want to see anyone left holding the bill on a 20k+ operation. Also, there is generally a second procedure code for band removal 43774 - Laproscopy, surgical, gastric restrictive procedure; removal of adjustable gastric restrictive device and subcutaneous port components.

Edited by Jenrn903
Add band removal code info

Thank you, I will double and triple check because I know that I am not able to pay the cost of the surgery.