Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm happy to tell my story regarding my gastric sleeve surgery and being over 60. I have been heavy all of my 40+ years of marriage. I lost a significant amount once but gained it back. Since then I hadon't ballooned to my highest weight of 314 lbs. I had all the classic comorbidity symptoms of high blood pressure, sleep apnea, lower back pains, shortness of breath and prediabeetes. I looked into bariatric surgery three years before finally having it. I'm 63 and as I began doing my research, I noticed there wasn't a lot of information on people in my age range.

So here I am...7 weeks post op and I have to say, the struggle has been real! But I'm embracing this new second half of my life and I hope to be encouraging to others as well as receive encouragement myself.

Congratulations. ;-):rolleyes:B):lol:B):P:)

I had my sleeve done last year at 65. I also had my gall bladder removed and a hernia repair at the same time. I had no complications and took no narcotics after it. I will admit for a few days it felt as if I did a million sit-ups but after a couple of days all was well. I was worried that the surgeon might think I was too old but no, she never said a thing. I guess I was lucky in that I had no co-morbidities except the excess weight!

For those reading this, don't let your age make you second guess the surgery!

yes, thanks and nice to meet you.......all the best

3 hours ago, rainyann said:

I had my sleeve done last year at 65. I also had my gall bladder removed and a hernia repair at the same time. I had no complications and took no narcotics after it. I will admit for a few days it felt as if I did a million sit-ups but after a couple of days all was well. I was worried that the surgeon might think I was too old but no, she never said a thing. I guess I was lucky in that I had no co-morbidities except the excess weight!

For those reading this, don't let your age make you second guess the surgery!

I appreciate all of the comments and am encouraged that each of you are doing well post surgery especially Rainyann. You go girl!

Hi there .I hope to be a success story myself at 73. I will be having a RnY early-mid March at Mount Carmel in Columbus Ohio.. I share many of your comorbities, no high blood pressure, but do have GERD and have had 2 knee replacements. Like all If the younger chicks out there -In it to win it. Plan to spend the remainder of my life --'thinner, happier and healthier. Join me on this journey, as the late Bette Davis said "it's gonna be a bumpy ride!"

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello Kakatlady,

Thanks for responding. I'm sure you will enjoy your journey to a healthier and thinner you. The good news is that I have not been on my medication for any of my "ailments" listed above since my surgery. I failed to mention I also had a hernia repair and GERD as well. After my surgery my acid reflux was very chronic and I was put on medication for that. My surgeon assures me it will go away the more weight I lose. Otherwise, no other meds. While the road is a little bumpy...I'm enjoying it and I believe you will too. The best of luck to you!

Welcome! Great to have you here. Congrats on a successful surgery!!

Hello, I will turn 60 this year, I have just completed all my classes and have been approved for surgery. I am just waiting for the call :rolleyes: I started my weight loss journey on December 5th.

HW 231

CW 212

Hello Kakatlady,

Thanks for responding. I'm sure you will enjoy your journey to a healthier and thinner you. The good news is that I have not been on my medication for any of my "ailments" listed above since my surgery. I failed to mention I also had a hernia repair and GERD as well. After my surgery my acid reflux was very chronic and I was put on medication for that. My surgeon assures me it will go away the more weight I lose. Otherwise, no other meds. While the road is a little bumpy...I'm enjoying it and I believe you will too. The best of luck to you!