Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who self-paid how much was your surgery?

Unfortunately, I cannot find a secondary insurance that will cover surgery and my primary insurance lists it as an exclusion, so I have no choice but pay out-of-pocket. The best physicians closest to me (Bowling Green and Toledo, Ohio) want $25k and $22k respectively. I am willing to travel outside of my immediate area even to surrounding states if necessary. For those of you that took the self-pay route, how much was and where did you have surgery? What was your experience like? Thank you all in advance for your input.

D.R. Potential Sleever

Have you considered going to Mexico? Lots of people right here on this forum that had amazing care there and paid under $5,000.00 all inclusive.

Edited by Yoyogirl

My surgeon approved me for outpatient because my BMI is 36, and i don't have any heart issues or other increased surgical risks. I'm self-pay and my total cost is just over $10k. Inpatient would've added $6k to that.

I self paid in the UK and it was 10500 GBP for surgery and one year after care package.

I highly recommend OCC Dr. Ortez. There is a Facebook group you can join. He uses a smaller tube then is typically used in the US. The stories are very inspiring on the group and he has a very high success rate. Absolutely professional, did an amazing job. You can email them and they will give you a price but it included everything but airfare and tips.

Edited by Lovergurl

My hubby had his Sleeve done by Dr. Rodriques in Juarez, Mexico. He among 4 or 5 others lined u like cattle. We paid $8000 but he had lots of scar tissue, but a normal Sleeve was $4,000. Plus it wasn't anything like they quoted us. Very poor care. The Dr was at the Hospital until 10pm that day. Doing surgeries. Don't go to Juarez. The price was even higher han BariatricPal Mexico but my hubby thought that you get what you pay for. And they charge more than this site did. This was the one time that it didn't work out for us. Research everything before you make a decsion. Good Luck

5 hours ago, DRoseman said:

Unfortunately, I cannot find a secondary insurance that will cover surgery and my primary insurance lists it as an exclusion, so I have no choice but pay out-of-pocket. The best physicians closest to me (Bowling Green and Toledo, Ohio) want $25k and $22k respectively. I am willing to travel outside of my immediate area even to surrounding states if necessary. For those of you that took the self-pay route, how much was and where did you have surgery? What was your experience like? Thank you all in advance for your input.

D.R. Potential Sleever

I used Baylor Scott and White in Texas for a cost of 15000. Received excellent care. I would recommend his facility to everyone.

I have blue cross , blue shield , and they do 80% and I pay 20%
It came down to me paying about 850, because of my deductible because I had surgery the first week of January

Hi!
I saw Dr. Mark Pleatman in Bloomfield, Michigan. It was $11,200. That includes everything including 2 years follow up and a night in the hospital. Look him up! He has a website! I had mine 3 weeks ago and he’s great!

Blossom Bariatric in Vegas. Paid $14,500.

@DRoseman, if you can't find one in NW Ohio I would check maybe Fort Wayne Indiana or Southern Michigan. And I think I saw awhile back someone was having it done in Lima, Findlay and Akron on BP. I'm going to Columbus, although my local hospital has started doing limited Bariatrics they don't do,BMI above 40 and not the RnY I need because of GERD. I know Cincy has good programs and there's one at West Chester that I've heard good things of. How about OSU or University at Cleveland, they might have bariatric clinics at lower rates since they are teaching,hospitals. I'm sure there is an answer to this problem and you're gonna find it.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I Paid $8899 in Ft Lauderdale, FL in August. Several Dr's, Taggar, Wizman, shillingford at the same hospital are in the $11000 range. I was very happy with Dr Taggar.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi! I saw Dr. Mark Pleatman in Bloomfield, Michigan. It was $11,200. That includes everything including 2 years follow up and a night in the hospital. Look him up! He has a website! I had mine 3 weeks ago and he's great!

Congratulations on having your surgery, I hope you're doing well.