Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass — What and Why did you choose?

I’m in the assessment stage and originally was thinking of the sleeve, but after talking with the dietician and nurse, I’m wondering if this is the right choice.

I had lapband surgery in 2007 and was very successful with it, losing about 125 lbs. I kept it off for several years, but over time it malfunctioned and slipped, so I had to have it defilled. Then I gained most of it back.

Now I want revision surgery and the WLS center thinks I’m a candidate for either — my choice.

What led you to choose one or the other?

Any pros or cons?

Any advice would be great.

I got the sleeve. I didn't want a bypass as I didn't want my intestines messed with as it can effect medication absorption. This was a major thing for me.

I'm 4.5 months post op and lost 48 kg / 106 pounds. Getting sleeved was the best decision I've made in my life.

At the end of the day you need to make a decision you are comfortable with and happy to live with.

Best wishes for your weight loss journey :)

I had chronic heartburn prior to surgery, so the sleeve wasn't an option. I had bypass 11/07/17. I feel great, I have no issues with any foods at this point (kept to my program). Have not had any heartburn at all. Not even once. That alone has improved my quality of life (I had fresh pineapple this week, no heartburn). Weight loss is a great big bonus, down 28lbs since I left hospital.

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a bypass 12/27/17 due to severe GERD and a hiatal hernia - not WLS (although that is a very happy consequence). If you have any reflux issues, a sleeve is not a viable option - it makes the heartburn and reflux worse.

So far, so great. I haven’t had any problems with any liquids so far (on the full liquid phase) and have my first follow up with the dr today. I haven’t weighed myself since the surgery so am looking forward to what the “official scale” says.

I also had the option and am getting the sleeve. I do not have GERD and only occasionally have heart burn. I didn't want to have to deal with dumping syndrome and also was concerned about malabsorption. As others have said, get all the info you can and make the decision that's best for you and your future health. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I chose Gastric Bypass. I chose it because my surgeon said that at my BMI at the time, I was good candidate and I took it as her recommending it and well, hey... Doctor knows best. Another reason why is because I already had my heart set on it and because I knew this one would help me control my portions better. (Also one of the pros).

Another reason is I wanted bang for my buck and it's the gold standard. It also had more long term studies done... And just more studies done in general.

Pros:

1. Portion Control
2. Faster Weight loss

3. For me, I get full off Water or even my own Vitamins lol

4. Like with any of these procedures, it comes with great health, happiness and longevity.

5. The last pro or positive can be anything you want it to be. 🙂

Cons:

1. Some people don't like the whole malabsorption thing.

2. Dumping.

3. Nausea (But that happens with the sleeve, too).

Buuuut.... Don't let these cons scare you away from choosing Gastric Bypass. It didn't stop me and it turned out for the better.

Everyone is different and have different comfort zones. Some people don't want to choose something so drastic and that's okay. 🙂

You have to choose what's best for you because only you know yourself the best.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-143
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Personally I believe the sleeve is the better option for most people most of the time. However people who had previous failed surgery usually have more difficulty being successful with revisionsal surgery, which would lead me to think bypass is a better option.

Of course if the band truly malfunctioned well then that has nothing to do with you, so either option is viable

I think your starting stats and overall picture of health should make up the majority of what you're basing your opinion on

Edited by Mhy12784

I am a candidate for both too and together with the surgeon I decided that I want the bypass. I am diabetic and the bypass can have the side effect that I wouldn't need to take any additional diabetic meds anymore from the day of surgery instead of going down over time. Also with over 200 kilos we believed that the faster weight loss would be more beneficial to me.

If during surgery the doctors notice that they can't do the bypass I'll get the sleeve, so while I prefer the bypass, I won't be angry with the sleeve at all.

I am a candidate for both too and together with the surgeon I decided that I want the bypass. I am diabetic and the bypass can have the side effect that I wouldn't need to take any additional diabetic meds anymore from the day of surgery instead of going down over time. Also with over 200 kilos we believed that the faster weight loss would be more beneficial to me.
If during surgery the doctors notice that they can't do the bypass I'll get the sleeve, so while I prefer the bypass, I won't be angry with the sleeve at all.

Sleeve less invasive.

I choose the sleeve. Main reasons were:

- Less invasive

- Was concerned about malabsorption

- Seemed that Vitamin requirements were higher or of bigger concern with a bypass

- Struggled with portion size vs. sweet cravings (so I didn't want to deal with dumping syndrome)

- Actually wanted a slower paced rate of weight loss so was fine that a sleeve may not take the weight off as fast and/or not lose as much compared to a bypass

On 1/5/2018 at 6:07 PM, VSGnewguy said:

I also had the option and am getting the sleeve. I do not have GERD and only occasionally have heart burn. I didn't want to have to deal with dumping syndrome and also was concerned about malabsorption. As others have said, get all the info you can and make the decision that's best for you and your future health. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I'm new and can you please explain what is dumping syndrome? Thank you.

I'm new and can you please explain what is dumping syndrome? Thank you.

From The mayo Clinic, "Dumping syndrome is a condition that can develop after surgery to remove all or part of your stomach or after surgery to bypass your stomach to help you lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndromeoccurs when food, especially sugar, moves from your stomach into your small bowel too quickly."

And from WebMD, "Symptoms can last about an hour and may include:

A feeling of fullness, even after eating just a small amount.Abdominal cramping or pain.Nausea or vomiting.Severe diarrhea.Sweating, flushing, or light-headedness.Rapid heartbeat."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app