Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had surgery greater than 5 years ago?

It does happen, with any of the WLS procedures, though with somewhat differing rates. Revising from the bypass to the sleeve is possible (talk to your surgeon!) though the results are unlikely to be all that good as they are both similar in their overall power. As with most revisions, the second surgery tends to yield less, and slower, loss. The key to any of them is to understand why the weight has come back and get a handle on that, as one can eat around any of these procedures. There are some bypass specific procedures that are sometimes done in an attempt to correct some problems - band over bypass or different stoma tightening techniques, but they overall don't seem to have a very good success record. The best approach that I have seen is to revise it to a duodenal switch, as that procedure offers better regain resistance than the others, but that's a very complex procedure for which only a very few surgeons are qualified (like maybe half a dozen or so).

From what I have seen over the years, is that 30 lb or so regain is fairly easily lost again over some months by getting back to dietary basics and cutting out whatever junk has crept back into the diet. 50lb regain or so seems to be more of a 50/50 thing as to whether one can pull it back with diet or have to revise.

I don't think I've ever heard of a bypass to sleeve revision. I do hear of the other way around (sleeve to bypass), but that's usually because of problems with GERD. And yes - I've heard of bypass to DS, but like the poster above said, it's a very complicated surgery that very few surgeons are trained/qualified to do.

47 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I don't think I've ever heard of a bypass to sleeve revision. I do hear of the other way around (sleeve to bypass), but that's usually because of problems with GERD. And yes - I've heard of bypass to DS, but like the poster above said, it's a very complicated surgery that very few surgeons are trained/qualified to do.

I just read about someone on here who had one...but maybe they actually had a bypass to DS? Someone had huge complications and lost too much weight. I assumed they went back in and reversed the bypass, then did the partial gastrectomy? But I've no idea how or if that can actually happen?

16 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I just read about someone on here who had one...but maybe they actually had a bypass to DS? Someone had huge complications and lost too much weight. I assumed they went back in and reversed the bypass, then did the partial gastrectomy? But I've no idea how or if that can actually happen?

from what I understand, they have to do a complete takedown of the bypass and THEN do the DS, so it's a pretty complicated operation.

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

from what I understand, they have to do a complete takedown of the bypass and THEN do the DS, so it's a pretty complicated operation.

Ouch! :(

I had surgery 8 years ago. I used to be a member of another Gastric Bypass forum during that time, which I contribute to a lot of my success. The information was priceless! I have not gained any weight back; however, at times it would fluctuate more than I was comfortable with and I would do a “reset” it’s just like after surgery, go back through your stages of liquids only, then soft foods, then food. Follow the rules, don’t drink while eating, don’t graze. I think it’s called “Pouch Reset” it works! Google it and see if it will help you!

I'm 5 1/2 years out from sleeve and gained almost all my weight back. I am converting to bypass in one week with a different surgeon. He said at a recent conference they said in 10 years 40% of sleeve patients would need some type of revision due to weight regain. My upper GI and EGD showed my sleeve has a pouch at the top and retained fundus (top of stomach). My surgeon said no part of the fundus should be left because it's the stretchiest part of the stomach. That's the part that stretched out and made a pouch. The rest of my sleeve is also dilated.

I wish I would have done the bypass initially ( I got the lap band), but it wasn't as prevalent back in 2006 like it is today. I feel like I wasted a lot of years by doing the band. I read somewhere the sleeve was never intended as a solution, but more of a temporary thing with the intent of doing bypass at a later date. It's just scary I suppose to do the bypass right out of the gate.