Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmed by Travel Arrangements - Mexico

I live in Iowa. I am scheduled for surgery in December in Mexico. I have gotten an email with all the travel arrangement instructions. It's pretty specific so that's not an issue. I'm just overwhelmed by it all. I have only ever been on an airplane one time and I was 5 years old. This is just a lot of responsibility I guess. My husband is NOT supportive so I am going through this alone. It's a lot to take on alone plus all the life changes. Ugh. It's all happening so fast and it's kind of freaking me out. I really want this, I'm not backing out. I guess I just needed to vent. Anyone else have these kinds of feelings?

I think many people are nervous in the time leading up to WLS, and those emotions can then amplify the feelings of being overwhelmed with other tasks. Even if you were a frequent flyer, chances are you'd have a little more anxiety about this trip than other ones, simply because it's different than travel for business or pleasure. What you're feeling is totally valid, and common. I was also nervous about traveling to Mexico for the VSG, even though I wasn't flying since I live in SoCal a drivable distance away. I actually had a surprisingly pleasant experience there. My surgery went very smoothly, I had minimal pain and no complications, the clinic was very clean and comfortable, the staff were attentive, the hotel was nice and everyone working there was friendly and attentive, and the transportation across the border was easy. I was worried I'd be in pain on the ride home, but I actually felt well enough to spend a few hours shopping at the outlet mall on the California side of the border, and to make touristy stops on the way home. The only discomfort was from a mild allergic reaction to the surgical tape over the incisions. Once I replaced it, I was fine.

I'm sorry your husband isn't supportive. Mine wasn't at first either, but he did eventually get on board after I showed him medical research about the long-term benefits of WLS.

I'd make a list of things you want to get done before the surgery, in the order of their priority, and then try to focus on one task at a time so you're not as overwhelmed. You'll probably feel more at peace once the travel is finalized. I recommend doing a search of VSG packing suggestions and gathering what you want to bring with you well in advance, so that you can have that sorted. The most important items for me were - a heating pad, Gas-X strips, slippers, comfortable clothing, slip-on shoes, and entertainment. Though I ended up sleeping most of the time during recovery, I'd brought my laptop and a HDMI cable to hook up to the TV in my room so I could watch movies when I was awake and not doing laps around the hall. I've read that people who have flown for the surgery feel more comfortable on the return flight with a small pillow, to place between their lap and the seat belt so it's not right on top of the incisions.

I arranged for a house cleaning service to come a couple of times in the weeks post-op when I was recovering and not able to lift things like the laundry hampers, because with my husband's schedule already being full I didn't want him to have to do all the chores I usually handle, in addition to the ones he does.

I also recommend making yourself aware of common feelings and frustrations people have post-op, so that you're prepared, and you won't worry something is wrong with you when what you're experiencing is normal. For example, most people experience the "dreaded three week stall" so it's good to anticipate it and know it's temporary. This forum as well as YouTube videos were helpful to me because I could read about what others went through and have a better idea as to what expect.

Having the VSG changed my life for the better, and I'm so grateful for it. I am down to a size 2 now, which I never thought possible, and I am living my life so much more fully than before. This surgery can immensely improve your health and your quality of life. I think it could do wonders for you, too.

I feel every ounce of your emotion right now! I was there myself not long ago!

Although I had been thinking about a sleeve for three years, since my sister had a bypass, I finally made the decision to do it on a 'whim'. Since I was going to do it privately, I called the company my sister used and the same doctor that did her surgery had an opening in 2 weeks. I made a deposit. It all happened so quickly!

My partner was NOT supportive and tried desperately tried to talk me out of it - promised to work out with me everyday, etc, etc. He loves me though and after he realized I was committed he backed off and accepted my decision. I didn't tell him what I was doing until about 4 days before I flew to Mexico - probably why he wasn't so supportive at first???

I didn't want anyone to know what I was doing and only told my partner and my sister before surgery. I flew to Mexico, by myself, on Thursday for a Friday morning surgery - I was back at my desk on Tuesday! The first few days back to work were hard, but I managed.

I'll tell you what kept me sane before flying to Mexico was preparing. I read blogs and forums, watched YouTube videos of other sleevers. Looked for post surgery tips - what they brought to the hospital and the things that were most helpful to them. I set my kitchen up for when I got home with everything I needed in the first few weeks. I made delicious Soups and froze the broth to sip while I was still on the liquid phase. I kept busy!

Landing in Mexico on my own was nerve wracking and I'm not going to lie - they wheeled me into the OR crying like a baby because I was so scared. The whole medical team was so sweet and comforting though - made jokes about buying me a shot of tequila when I woke up.

This was easily the best decision I have ever made and I've never had a second of regret. I now go days without thinking about my size, my weight, what I'm going to eat, how much I'll eat. My mental energy is free for more important, more satisfying thoughts!

Good luck! You'll do amazing and will look back on today with a chuckle a few months from now. You got this!

Edited by Renee0629

I just went through all this by myself. I had no outside support and no one to talk to or lean on for support. I had 3 weeks to get everything in order and im not a flyer either so it was all new and stressful for me.. If you would like a little insight or mental support i would be glad to help out.

UndercoverDiet, Here I am again. LOL First let me say this YOU are so very brave!!! Like was said above, your partner will more than likely come around!! You have us!! Feel free to ask me anything!! Even tho I had the RNY and you are having the Sleeve, WLS is basically the same when it comes to the feelings that come up. I would tell you to call ahead for them to have a wheelchair at the Airport, some of those places are huge!! Be sure to keep your carry in light as you can. I think you will have lots of help from the site you are going thru. Just let them know you are alone. Now just one more thing, I am very proud of you for preparing yourself for your new start. I can relate 100%. Keep us posted and remember keep your eyes on the prize!! KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you need to be prepared for the possibility of not fitting in the plane seat.

I didn't fit between two armrests that were lowered, so I sat on the aisle with the center armrest raised and no one in the middle seat.

I flew Southwest because they seemed to have the most flexible of "passenger of size" policies. They also have open seating, so I paid more to board the flight early so I couldn't get stuck in a center seat. (I simply wouldn't have fit in a center seat).

Then I inquired to make sure there would be extra seats available. If the plane were booked full, it wouldn't have worked, either. I had to be prepared to be flexible since I didn't want to buy 2 seats.

It all worked perfectly in the end, and I only was a little embarrassed to tell someone they couldn't have the center seat because I didn't leave enough room.

If it weren't for the surgery, I wouldn't have been brave enough to get on a plane. Somehow, just knowing that I would never again be put into that position was enough to get me through it.

Now, almost 8 months later and down 100lbs, I feel certain that if I need to fly again, I can do so without a concern. Amazing!

Oh, and I went to Mexico alone. It was a wonderful experience! I really needed a change of scenery..

I'm actually a little worried about that. I'm flying basic economy on United Airlines. I imagine that will mean a small seat. I am preparing to be uncomfortable and most likely embarrassed.

On 11/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, UndercoverDiet said:

I'm actually a little worried about that. I'm flying basic economy on United Airlines. I imagine that will mean a small seat. I am preparing to be uncomfortable and most likely embarrassed.

United does have small seats. "Basic" economy just means that you are not permitted to bring a carry on bag with you, only a personal item like a purse.

I'm 5'9, 309lbs, size 22/24, and on United flights when I have travelled economy class, my legs are touching the seat in front (it's painful when the person in front reclines their chair into my knees!), as for my hips... I'm able to force down the arm rest but my hips/thigh "spills" over by a little bit. Sometimes the arm rest is resting on the side of my thigh because it can't be in the down position but I try to put it down to be respectful to my neighbor if I have one.

And... it's also wise to ask for a seat belt extender because United has short seat belts. So as to save any embarrassment, I quietly ask the flight attendant (who's waiting in the aisle) while I'm just arriving into the plane. That way they usually get it to you by the time you get to your seat, that way you can get buckled in without your neighbor knowing what's going on or without you bothering them while getting situated :)

If you can, try to go First Class. I will be, and I think it will especially be needed after the surgery!....