Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many carbs?

How many carbs do you consume at 9+ weeks postop (or plan to)?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many net carbs (total minus fiber) do you (or will you) consume between the healing period and maintenance? (Approx. 9 weeks until 12 or 18 months postop)?

• Going full keto! 20g or fewer!
    • Borderline keto 20-50g
    • Low Carb 51g-99g
    • Carbs are important! 100+
    • I don't count carbs so have no idea.
    • Start low, and gradually increase them over time (before goal).

5 hours ago, Berry78 said:

During the losing phase, that sounds perfect (don't let your fat drop below 35g though).

I do not think I get much fat at all. Though my plan is supposed to be low in fat but i have said i am not doing that with low fat items having too much sugar so they said thats fine.. BUT i only use mayo a small amount and then that tiny amount of cheese every now and again, no urge to cook with oils etc etc, why should fat not drop below 35grams?

3 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Always eat fat with your veggies to absorb the Vitamins. It doesn't take up any room.

I really am not the sort of person that can just pour oil onto vegetable lol other than mayo.. I cant imagine what fat I would add to them, but then I would have to reduce the food it self as when I measure my food its 4 ounce total INCLUDING any added sauce/mayo LOL

We need some fats in our diets.

Approx:

2oz nuts or seeds have 30g fat

2 tablespoons olive oil 30g fat

1.5oz cheese 14g

1 egg 5g fat

1 teaspoon oil 5g

meat -varies

1 tablespoon butter 11g

Hummus has fat.

Just toss a bit of olive oil in the pan with cooked veggies, or a little butter on cooked carrots, Salad Dressing on raw veggies

Avacado and nuts and cheese can be used here or there.

32 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

We need some fats in our diets.

Approx:

2oz nuts or seeds have 30g fat

2 tablespoons olive oil 30g fat

1.5oz cheese 14g

1 egg 5g fat

1 teaspoon oil 5g

meat -varies

1 tablespoon butter 11g

Hummus has fat.

Just toss a bit of olive oil in the pan with cooked veggies, or a little butter on cooked carrots, salad dressing on raw veggies

Avacado and nuts and cheese can be used here or there.

I don't think I like nuts anymore.

Olive oil does not taste like anything to me.

I love cheese! So thats easy!

I eat whole eggs sometimes BUT then it has to be eaten alone, I mostly do Egg whites so I can add spinach and cheese ( 2 ounce egg white)

I have not even tried Hummus yet so good idea!

My mind set right now is .. Olive oil is not adding any flavour for me so I feel like I will just be drinkng fat for no taste? Which only does not make sense to me right now, but may do in the future, like fat in mayo makes sense to me because it tastes good lol. Olive oil just smells nice lol

I tried ranch post WLS , used to love it.. The smell makes me want to gag now.

I used to love Avacado.. Waste to me now as I dont think its worth it, does not taste like much .. I don't like the texture anymore.

To summaries... CHEESE IT IS more cheese hehe Thank you for the options , who knows further down the line I may add some of these! I can not remember the last time I had butter, I used to have lumps of the stuff.:D

I did balanced macros from around 3 months post op onwards...so 40% Protein 35% carb, 25% fat. early days was lower carb by default as calories were lower and it was tough to get protein in.

11 hours ago, TammyA said:

berry, have you tried the pastas made from chick peas? I hear they're very good...I haven't indulged yet. Also, there's a frozen pizza crust made from cauliflower. Being Italian I have these things tucked away for when I really need a pizza/pasta fix. (I haven't gotten there yet but I guess I like knowing I have the option!) I have eaten very low carbs for a long time. Before surgery I was trying to follow Atkins as closely as I could. Raw fruits and veggies are really the only carbs I eat, but it's nice to know I can still have pizza on a Friday night with the kids if I really want it. :)

Trader Joe's makes a frozen cauliflower crust. Tried it last night. It's not bad actually. But you need to definitely toast it up well first!

Right now, my plan is less than 100g of carbs. I'm usually around 60ish just depends. I eat around 80g of Protein. So far that seems to work well, but I would never get that much without shakes, not yet anyway.

60g of carbs??? Holy crap I barely manage to get in 20g of carbs a day. I do get in 50-60g of Protein and 500/600 calories.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Huge thanks to @Berry78 for always sharing great wisdom and information with us all.

If you do take in carb make sure they're sweet potatoes/quinoa or carbs from vegetables and lastly fruit. That's the way I'm gonna go with carbs...

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, Msdooloo said:

60g of carbs??? Holy crap I barely manage to get in 20g of carbs a day. I do get in 50-60g of Protein and 500/600 calories.

Can. I ask what you daily meals are like and how much post wls?

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

If you do take in carb make sure they're sweet potatoes/quinoa or carbs from vegetables and lastly fruit. That's the way I'm gonna go with carbs...

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

This is perfect!! Those are the one I eat the most and they are so full of nutrition and Fiber too. Add ground flax seed to a Protein Shake for an extra shot of fiber.

Can. I ask what you daily meals are like and how much post wls?

My meals are tuna fish, eggs, carb master yogurt, squash, zucchini and Protein Shakes. I put berries in my Protein shakes. I was 208lbs pre-op now I'm 186lbs 2 weeks 1 day post op. I'm not really hungry like I was the first week but when I do eat I make sure to get half of my protein intake in before eating my carbs. I'm sure once my body stops losing weight I'll add more carbs to put it through a change then take it away again so I can start losing. Right now what I'm doing is working so no need to fix what ain't broken [emoji6]

@Msdooloo why are you adding carbs at 15 days post op? Focus on your Protein. Eat all your protein, and if there are room, maybe eat some veggies, but not carbs. Also, berries with seeds (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc. ) is a no go this early as they can get stuck in the wound. Are they on your allowed list? I find that very strange.

[mention=328319]Msdooloo[/mention] why are you adding carbs at 15 days post op? Focus on your Protein. Eat all your protein, and if there are room, maybe eat some veggies, but not carbs. Also, berries with seeds (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc. ) is a no go this early as they can get stuck in the wound. Are they on your allowed list? I find that very strange.

I'm not. I said when I stop losing weight then I will add carbs to put my body through a change. Meaning a couple of months from now when my weight stalls