Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many carbs?

How many carbs do you consume at 9+ weeks postop (or plan to)?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many net carbs (total minus fiber) do you (or will you) consume between the healing period and maintenance? (Approx. 9 weeks until 12 or 18 months postop)?

• Going full keto! 20g or fewer!
    • Borderline keto 20-50g
    • Low Carb 51g-99g
    • Carbs are important! 100+
    • I don't count carbs so have no idea.
    • Start low, and gradually increase them over time (before goal).

How about oatmeal with raisins? I hate for people to resort to white flour (pasta), but that is just me. There are whole grain pastas though. 2 cups of potatoes.. 1 white and 1 sweet would hit half your goal. So this is very do-able.

Your nut may like seeing 50% Protein, but may not be looking at it in relation to recommended calories. (50% of 1000 cal. would be much easier than 50% of 1500).

I have oatmeal every morning. No to the raisin though, not a fan. This is my go to.

15g of oatmeal (10g steel cut and 5g rolled)
1/2 cup of Water and into the microwave.
Then I add 20g of flaxseeds (10 whole and 10 crushed)
Then I add 50g of high Protein yogurt (Skyr)
10 g of pumpkin seeds
Cinnamon

Sometimes I add fruit

I use whole grain/carb reduced Pasta or one made of Beans or something like that (It's the texture of means I don't like, not the taste lol)

I might make a call to her in a week or two as I try to adjust these things.

Thanks for your input, they are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Meryline

So a whole bowl of oatmeal and only about 15g digestible carbs. You are a wonder woman! But, alas, please start doubling or even tripling the oat portion of your oatmeal ;)

Hehe. I started with 40 g, ended up eating it in two sittings. cut back to 20g, steel cut. Then my surgeon wanted me to eat rolled, so I did 10 and 10, that was suddenly too much again, so now I'm at 10 steel and 5 rolled.

And I need the flaxseeds for my bowls.....seriously ;)

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

@Meryline... if you eat 120g Protein, that's 480cal. 60g fat is 540 cal. 120g carbs is 480. Which brings you up to 1500 cal.

Yes, this is less than 50% of your calories as Protein, but this should get your nutritional status up where it needs to be.

(In order to have 50% of your 1500cal as protein, you'd have to eat 187g protein a day.. 6 x 30g meals... totally wouldn't happen.)

I think the 50% is about looking at your plate. 1/2 protein food, and 1/2 veggies, fruits, and grains.

To give an idea what 120g carbs looks like:

1 cup Beans and 2 pieces ezekial toast, and 1 whole piece of fruit, and 1 cup potatoes.

Yep, you are gonna do nothin' but eat!

You're gonna have to raise your fat content to get to 1500cals. IMHO unless a woman is DS or is a weight lifter, there is no way you should be eating 120g protein and def. not 187g. I think @Berry78 has it right, that the nut is talking about plate composition. No way you should be eating 120g carbs either. The only other choice is fat--and that would be do-able with very little effort. I would think you would be able to tolerate it post GB cuz we're not talking about gobs of it. Most will come from internal fats present in food sources.

86g Protein x 4cals = 344cals

75g Carbs x 4cals = 300cals

95g Fat x 9cals =855cals

Totals 1499cals

Here's a sample day that looks quite a lot like my 1500cal days only, I have a little less protein and a few more veggie carbs. This menu is giving you a little more protein, and a few less carbs than the goals I said above. The Premier Protein drinks are for coffee creamers; hot coffee in the morning, and iced coffee in the afternoon:

sampleday.JPG

Edited by FluffyChix

@FluffyChix I think increasing my fat is a good idea. I'm already at 120+g of Protein, and my nut wants me on that or higher, but I think increasing my fat is the best way to get more calories in right now. I can adjust as I get further out from surgery. I keep forgetting that I'm only 7.5 months out.

I have been over 100g of protein for a good while now

Edited by Meryline

30 minutes ago, Meryline said:

I'm already at 120+g of Protein, and my nut wants me on that or higher

I have been over 100g of Protein for a good while now

Wow! I'd smell like cat pee all day, every day. You=Lucky

Fat gives calories, but once your essential fatty acids are accounted for, you don't need more. (Same with protein.. 4 meals of 30g each is about all you can digest for the amino acids..the rest is just calories).

Carbs are where you get your Vitamins, minerals, Fiber. And you can't get too much of those.

Fluff... Meryline is basically at goal and can handle an increased carb load (she needs to get her nutrition up). I wouldn't give myself or someone else the same advice necessarily.

When I run into a goal meal I can't fit all in at once, I eat what I can, then return to finish it an hour later. Mery.. you can do that with your oatmeal.

Increasing fat in the short term is fine.. just have a plan on working towards getting those carbs up. The more carbs you have (within reason), the more efficiently your body can use your Protein. At the moment you may be using protein for energy instead of repair.

13 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Wow! I'd smell like cat pee all day, every day. You=Lucky

I'm almost never at less than 100 grams of protein...

Hm, lots to think about here. I'll see what I can do. I think a phone call sooner rather than later might be an idea.

@Berry78I'm not pullin this stuff out of thin air hon. Nor basing the information on myself. These guys are the real deal doctors who eat, breath, and live sports science. Through their research, they say that you need about 0.8 to 1.0g Protein per "dew weight" in kg (LBM) if you are athletic and work out to a high extent. (If I remember correctly from the book--it's been a long time.) The book is The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek are both elite athletes and still keep their carbs below 100g daily. They both eat a butt load of veggies. Dr. Phinney is even an organic gardener.

Yes, our GB anatomy that has malabsorption may mean we can eat more protein, but my surgeon says they are finding that the malabsorption is less then they thought, earlier than they thought...which brings me back to not seeing where any female that isn't DS, unless they are an elite athlete or they have a **** ton of LMB, needs more than 100g of protein per day. Even if their doc is telling them this...lots of docs have the whole nutrition stuff wrong.

Mery's blood levels for Protein are low. Until she can get those levels up, she needs to keep eating her protein. I had just come across a study that mentioned the increased need for protein in the absence of enough carbs... thus my thinking to increase carbs to take the pressure off the protein.

Keto works for some people, but I'm not under the impression she wants to go that way.

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

How about oatmeal with raisins? I hate for people to resort to white flour (pasta), but that is just me. There are whole grain pastas though. 2 cups of potatoes.. 1 white and 1 sweet would hit half your goal. So this is very do-able.

berry, have you tried the pastas made from chick peas? I hear they're very good...I haven't indulged yet. Also, there's a frozen Pizza Crust made from cauliflower. Being Italian I have these things tucked away for when I really need a pizza/pasta fix. (I haven't gotten there yet but I guess I like knowing I have the option!) I have eaten very low carbs for a long time. Before surgery I was trying to follow Atkins as closely as I could. Raw fruits and veggies are really the only carbs I eat, but it's nice to know I can still have pizza on a Friday night with the kids if I really want it. :)

Just now, Berry78 said:

Mery's blood levels for Protein are low. Until she can get those levels up, she needs to keep eating her Protein. I had just come across a study that mentioned the increased need for protein in the absence of carbs. Keto works for some people, but I'm not under the impression she wants to go that way.

Crap, I forgot her protein levels in her bloodwork were low. I do know she works out a lot, too.

@TammyAMaking the cauli crust pizza is dead easy and tastes really delish--not like bonafide Italian pizza crust--but still very good PDS (pizza delivery system). :) Don't buy the cauli crust from the frozen food. TONS of flour carbs in it. :(