Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many carbs?

How many carbs do you consume at 9+ weeks postop (or plan to)?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many net carbs (total minus fiber) do you (or will you) consume between the healing period and maintenance? (Approx. 9 weeks until 12 or 18 months postop)?

• Going full keto! 20g or fewer!
    • Borderline keto 20-50g
    • Low Carb 51g-99g
    • Carbs are important! 100+
    • I don't count carbs so have no idea.
    • Start low, and gradually increase them over time (before goal).

34 minutes ago, Msdooloo said:

I'm not really hungry like I was the first week but when I do eat I make sure to get half of my Protein intake in before eating my carbs.

This is what I read.....

Just now, Msdooloo said:

And yes pureed strawberries and berries are allowed on my list.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Shows how different programs are. Seeds of any kind was a no go for 6 weeks because of wound healing and the risk of it getting stuck in the sound inside your stomach. But it's allowed on your list, and you should of course follow your program.

1 minute ago, Msdooloo said:

Veggies have carbs. Squash zucchini have carbs. Tomatoes pureed still have carbs.

If you are able to get your Protein goal and get veggies in at 2 weeks out, good for you. Most people have enough just getting their protein and liquids goal in.

I wouldn't count those as carbs at this point, unless you are getting several hundred grams.

My doc was adding veg to my diet at 10 days out as my Protein intake was sufficient (90+ per day) though still a little short of my goal of 100-110 to maintain my then current lean mass. It's a big YMMV thing.

On the main topic, I ignored carb counts, only seeking the best nutrition for the non-protein segment of my diet at the time irrespective macro counts. I started into the bariatric game 14-15 years ago when my wife was getting seriously into it (she was number one on the runway with her higher weight and more significant comorbidities,) which was still in the transition between yesterday's low fat fad and today's low carb fad. For the sake of the insurance mandated 6 month diet thing, we decided to go long term and work on improving overall nutrition rather than any miracle weight loss diets, and let the loss fall where it may - long term sustainability is much more important than any short term weight loss.

I wound up losing about a third of my excess weight in six months or so and decided just to go into a holding pattern while we worked on getting my wife onto the table, ultimately going self-pay a year or two later. I kept tweaking my diet, making some progress here and there but little additional net loss, though did maintain that original loss for several years. Once our insurance started covering the sleeve, and it was apparent I was not going to sustainably lose significantly more, I signed up for the sleeve. As I had already effectively worked into a WLS maintenance lifestyle with my wife, there was no reason to make substantial dietary changes other than what was needed to support the calorie restriction. As popular as it was (and still is,) I couldn't afford the prospective side effects of low carb dieting, so I kept things as balanced as reasonably possible within the protein and calorie limits; thankfully, our doc had never jumped onto the low carb bandwagon, either (low sugar, simple carbohydrate and junk food - absolutely, but no arbitrary carb limits.) That worked fine, and still does 6-7 years later, though about 1000 calories higher.

Establishing good fundamental habits beat miracle diets every time.